Home Main Category Personal Defense

suggestions for novice shooter

JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior MemberPosts: 1,726 Senior Member
well, when my daughter moved to Indiana about a year ago, one of the first things she did was get a carry permit..
primarily to be able to transport her fiancee's handguns if needed..

well, now she's in need of actually carrying one for a reason, and her fiancee agreed with me..

so he was going to go on the hunt at LGS's today..

now, her fiancee carries a 1911 clone.. but what if she produces it too slowly and if she IS of presence of mind to wipe the safety, the perp holds it out of battery?

I told Brandon to look for a used Smith or Ruger revolver..
Like maybe a hammerless Mod 60 or SP101/GP100..

I'd rather see a hammerless so lint is lest apt to gum up the works..

Am I thinking correctly?

Who's got a better idea? (Short of me strapping myself to the roof of her truck with Pop's Auto 5)
Never laugh at your wife's choices.
You are one of them.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,093 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    The problems yo mentioned are addressed with training with is Essential in this equation. No issue with a revolver but I prefer my newbies armed with simple pistols like Kahrs. You get the simplicity of a revolver (no external safety) ease of concealment AND fast reloads.
    :agree: :that:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    The problems yo mentioned are addressed with training with is Essential in this equation. No issue with a revolver but I prefer my newbies armed with simple pistols like Kahrs. You get the simplicity of a revolver (no external safety) ease of concealment AND fast reloads.
    I'd forgotten about them... thanks! (now you got me wanting a P45 for myself)... although I'd really like a series 70 Combat Commander.. just sayin..
    You are one of them.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    A gun grab can freeze a revolver's cylinder as well as take an auto out of battery, so a wheel gun is not really a solution to that problem.

I suggest riding the safety on a 1911. This way, it comes off pretty much as the gun clears leather and pivots upward to bear.

Lint is an issue with ANY carry gun. I've seen an amazing array of dust bunnies in all manner of guns. The CORRECT thinking is to consider your pistol a car with an electrified driver's seat that will fry you dead if you don't change the oil every 3,000 miles. Whether you shoot it or not, at least field strip it every couple of weeks, knock the bunnies off with compressed air re-lube if needed, and do a function check to make sure you haven't pushed the bunnies into some sensitive locale. Disregard all the glossy publications that tell you how much abuse and neglect it can take - treat your Humvee like a Swiss watch and it's a lot more likely to get you home.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    JLDickmon wrote: »
    I'd forgotten about them... thanks! (now you got me wanting a P45 for myself)... although I'd really like a series 70 Combat Commander.. just sayin..

I'm a big fan of Kahrs - own a K-9 and K-40. But, another great option is the new Springfield XDs single stack. Mine is a .45 ACP, but I think they are now, or soon will be available in 9mm. In a side by side comparison, I'll choose the XDs over the Kahr, in a polymer framed subcompact. Mine is a natural pointing platform with a very nice fiber optic front sight and the little pistol shoots to point of aim with every 230 gr. ammo I've tried, and recoil is very manageable with a firm combat grip. My Kahrs are very accurate, but with both of them I have had to experiment for the right bullet weight to get POI where I wanted it. Also, they are quite obviously (to me) designed for people with small to medium sized hands, which I have had to make adjustments for with my grip. Of course, this may actually be a benefit for a woman, but the XDs comes with an extra backstrap piece to adjust for hand size, and might fit the same as the Kahr, with the smaller one installed.
  • KurtKurt New Member Posts: 21 New Member
    I am a firm believer in the proposition: “If it aint broke, don’t fix it.”

If she has been training with the 1911 and she is new to handgun use, it makes no sense to confuse her subconscious with another manual of arms. The time needed for disengaging the thumb safety is negligible when compaired to the time required to safely present the arm for use. If the thumb safety was so cumbersome, top shooters would have abandoned it decades ago. They have not. If her fingers are too short to properly manipulate the safety, an extended version is easily installed. My wife’s main problem with the 1911 is her difficulty in operating the slide due to the heavy recoil spring that I installed for reliability. Not being able to clear a jam could be the biggest concern she may have. I don’t care what anyone says, machines crap out and usually at just the wrong time. She must be able to safely and quickly clear a stoppage. If this is not an issue, I think the concern should be more focused on safe presentation (i.e. holsters and concealment methods).

If, on the other hand, she is just toting the 1911 around because it is the only arm she has access to and has not learned its use, then a small revolver of 357 Magnum caliber would an excellent choice. That way she can become intimately familiar with the weapon using light 38 Special target loads and then carry magnum or +P loads on a daily basis.

I too carry a 1911 during the winter but find it difficult to conceal during warmer weather. Due to its tuning I use “full power” 230 LRN all the time but the weight of the pistol makes the recoil eminently tolerable.
    During summer months I carry a 44 Special Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in a high ride Bianchi strong side thumb break holster. It allows fairly easy access during driving and stays well hidden under a vest when walking. As I craft my own loads, I can use light ones for play and then stoke ‘em up to full power using 210 JHC Sierras for carry use.
    “The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user.”
    Col. Jeff Cooper
    Kurt wrote: »
    I am a firm believer in the proposition: “If it aint broke, don’t fix it.”

If she has been training with the 1911 and she is new to handgun use, it makes no sense to confuse her subconscious with another manual of arms. The time needed for disengaging the thumb safety is negligible when compaired to the time required to safely present the arm for use. If the thumb safety was so cumbersome, top shooters would have abandoned it decades ago. They have not.

I'm sorry, I should have added a little background..
    her one and only handgun is a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 (I doubt since she's had it, she's ever shout a full-power load through it.. I think she's still working on the couple thousand rounds of reloads I gave her with the gun.. )
    But concealing a 6 1/2" barrel....

I'm really not sure how much time she has on his .45..

Now, frankly, I can't tell much difference between my reloads (158gr Keith-style over 5gr Unique) and a 230gr Missouri Softball over 7gr Unique in her Fiancee's Officer's Model clone.. but it could just be the weight of the pistols..

Anyway, the last thing I want to do is make a decision for her.. as she's like her Mom.. whatever I think is wrong...

She would make a hell of a detective, though.. she figured out who her stalker was in under 48 hrs.. turned the info over to Bloomington PD, who had a little chat with them over the weekend and confirmed it yesterday.. turns out it was a case of mistaken identity..
    You are one of them.
    another thing I just thought of..
    Even though she has an Indiana carry permit, I wish she'd take the Michigan CCW class..
    when I took mine, the first words out of the Instructors mouth, "You don't draw your gun to 'scare' somebody off. When you draw your weapon, it is to be fired until the threat is eliminated. If you can't or aren't willing kill someone when it's your backside on the line, see the guy at the door now, and get your money back on the way out."

Next thing we did was study the law for four hours.
    You are one of them.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    JLDickmon wrote: »
    another thing I just thought of..
    Even though she has an Indiana carry permit, I wish she'd take the Michigan CCW class..
    when I took mine, the first words out of the Instructors mouth, "You don't draw your gun to 'scare' somebody off. When you draw your weapon, it is to be fired until the threat is eliminated. If you can't or aren't willing kill someone when it's your backside on the line, see the guy at the door now, and get your money back on the way out."

Next thing we did was study the law for four hours.

Pretty much what every self defense instructor has said to me, too, and worth remembering. Good comment.

Re. the gun, the Kahr is a nice compromise, reasonably priced, not too large, reliable, accurate as is needed, a good choice. My ex-girlfriend got a Kahr 9mm as her valentine's present from me a couple years back, and she likes it a lot.

Regardless, however, practice is necessary. It's perfectly okay to keep the 1911 clone and have her learn to use it instead of getting a new gun.

Nice that you've got a right-thinking daughter & fiance', and also nice to have some good choices of guns.