Home Main Category General Firearms

Price Check Browning BAR

Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior MemberSeattle, WaPosts: 714 Senior Member
Fellas, local classifieds has a Browning BAR in 7mm Rem Mag, excellent condition 1985 belgian manufacture, nice gloss walnut and deep blue. For $550...Is this a good deal? Its not a "need" for me but it seems like a good deal to me...how accurate can i expect these to be? Thanks in advance...

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Good deal? Yes. I would expect to pay $100 or more for the same condition. Accuracy? No clue. I always kind of wanted one in .338 Win mag. Crap, now you got me thinking of one. I hate you!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Near Seligman AZPosts: 1,052 Senior Member
    That's a deal...and a good one...accuracy....from a BAR is spotty..... some shoot.....some spray.... if it holds under 2 MOA.......it's doing alright......Ken
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,673 Senior Member
    Check availability of magazines for it before you buy.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Seattle, WaPosts: 714 Senior Member
    Its the hunting BAR not the WWII LMG. The magazine is attached to the floor plate. But you can order them. I got it today, pics coming soon. Ill post the new(to me) BBR in 7mm-08...I've got Browning triplets now! BAR in 7mm-Rem Mag, BBR in 7mm-08, and Stainless A-bolt Stalker in .338 Win Mag...They have grown on me....
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    It's the Browning BAR as you described that provided the inspiration for the BOSS. Customers would buy the rifle and send it back to Browning because it was not very accurate. Browning would lop an inch or two off of the barrel, and turn it into a very accurate rifle. Eventually, someone figured out that it was all about barrel harmonics, and that they could get the same results by adding an adjustable piece to the end of the barrel.

If it has the BOSS on it, it can be very accurate. I've seen one in .338 Win Mag that was. If not, you'll just have to take your chances or get the seller to prove up before buying it. You may also be able to get an after market BOSS added to it, but that would probably ruin the good deal you get at the price you cited.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.