Home Main Category General Firearms

22lr revolvers, feed backs

yorchiyorchi MemberPosts: 52 Member
Hi I just bought a XDs to be my CCW and I'm looking to buy a revolver in 22 to fire at the range, 22lr been the cheapest ammo... Any feedback on the pics will be appreciated.
e3yqase5.jpg
yny4u8yb.jpg
6uzypa8a.jpg
9y6adeta.jpg

Replies

• softwarejanitorsoftwarejanitor Member Posts: 241 Member
    I have one of the 9 shot Taurus revolvers in 4" blued, it did not come with a .22 Mag cylinder though, so I think it is a slightly different model than shown above. I've had it for several years and run thousands of rounds through it w/o issues.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,661 Senior Member
    If you are ok with a single-action, then a Ruger Single Six, or maybe the new 10.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member VirginiaPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I, on the other hand, had many issues with my Model 94, from a canted front sight to a mistimed cylinder spitting lead at me every chance it got.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member VirginiaPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
    What's your budget? Take a hard look at the Ruger SP101 .22.

5765.jpg
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • 2Aman2Aman Member North Texas/FloridaPosts: 332 Member
    A Ruger single six is indestructable and would be my first choice. I had a Taurus model 94, I believe, the 9 shot .22lr revolver and put several thousand rounds through it with no issue whatsoever. It was a nice little revolver, but I know alot of folks have had bad experiences with Taurus wheelguns. If your range has rental revolvers, try some and go for whatever one feels the best to you. No matter what you decide on, keep it clean. Rimfire ammo can gunk out any firearm pretty quick.
  • yorchiyorchi Member Posts: 52 Member
    My budget... Anything under $400.
    I know this guns are cheap, Taurus been en the $300 and chiappa $150 to $200, I know this guns are cheap for a reason, I just wonder if they're any good or reliable.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,751 Senior Member
    I had a Taurus for a short time. It was fine. I wouldn't touch a convertible .22LR/.22 Mag.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,313 Senior Member
    You would have to pay ME to get me to own another Taurus.

If you are looking for an affordable .22LR revolver, I would go for a used Ruger as the #1 choice. My #2 choice would be a Used Ruger as well.

#3 would be a Charter Arms Pathfinder: http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Pathfinder_72240.asp
    72240.gif
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,687 Senior Member
    Taurus BAD!!!! Horrible trigger, JUNK!! DON'T buy it!! Get a Ruger or S&W, you will be glad you did!!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Read my Sig line below as to my opinion about Taurus.

Some very good suggestions above. Used/New Ruger, Charter Arms, maybe a used S&W IF you can find one that fits your budget. Also, don't count out Heritage Arms for a reasonably priced single-action cowboy .22 I had a .22/.22 mag combo that was pretty good and they are making them better these days.

You can also opt for a steel framed one over alloys, I would and get Millet ADJ sights. POI can vary a lot with differnt .22 ammo.

http://www.heritagemfg.com/site/department.cfm?id=50
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I have shot a model 17 S&W and it was soooooo smooth it was unbelievable. I've never owned or shot a Taurus so I cannot comment fairly. I have never owned a Ruger Hand gun either, however I have owned and presently own Ruger Long Guns and I believe their handguns are cut from the same cloth. So I'll stick to S&W or Ruger for my money.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Lima, PeruPosts: 2,986 Senior Member
    ¿Used? If you like double actions a stainless steel S&W 617 is excellent, and a Ruger would be great too. Both should fit your budget.

If you like single-actions, the Ruger Single Six is the best choice. Both fixed ("Cowboy") and adjustable sights in different barrel lengths and both blue or stainless steel finishes are available. They can also be converted to .22 Magnum by changing the cylinders (Both are usually included).

Locally the Taurus is liked but mostly because there is not much where to choose from; you shouldn't have troubles with a .22LR one, but I'd rather look carefully for a used S&W or Ruger in good shape. Have tested a few .22 Taurus and they worked OK, but don't know how they'll withstand time and use.

Usually shoot either mine or friends S&Ws (K-22s, 617s and a 35) and Rugers (Assorted Single Sixes and DAs) and all of them are accurate, reliable and sturdy.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member KentuckyPosts: 1,707 Senior Member
  • Yulee BoyYulee Boy Member UwharriePosts: 37 Member
    Another vote for the single six. I picked up an old model that had not been converted a few years ago. It is one of my favorite guns to shoot! :up:
    "There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily." - George Washington
  • softwarejanitorsoftwarejanitor Member Posts: 241 Member
    Another one nobody has mentioned is the Heritage Roughrider. My wife has one that is a .22LR/.22Mag convertible. They work like a SAA, single action, load through a loading gate, pushrod for one at a time ejection. They are a little rough looking up close but they sell for under $200. My wife bought hers on sale at Academy Sports & Outdoors (regional sporting goods big box store) for $99 a few years ago. So far it has held up just fine.
  • WheresMyGunWheresMyGun Member Posts: 139 Member
    owned few taurus and rossi 22 wheelguns ...... never much trouble..... now my ruger super single was junk ....... but i believe it was a lemon ..........................
  • RimfireRimfire Senior Member VirginiaPosts: 849 Senior Member
    I had a Ruger Single-Six. It was reliable and was accurate. However, I never adjusted to the feel of it in my hand so I traded it for an SAR-3 (which has found a home in Colorado).

If you want a super mini .22lr/wmr revolver, check out a NAA Mini Mag or the Earl.

Good luck with what ever you purchase.
    G&A Forum Member since: October 2000; Life Member: GOA, IWLA, NRA, & Escapees.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Take some time with your purchase. Try some of the different models out there. see what your likes really are single/double action? Save a few more dollars in the mean time. Check the used ones out for me that has always been the best option. Actually that's about all I buy now is used revolvers.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Franklin, Ky.Posts: 3,767 Senior Member
    The New England Firearms Ultra is a nice 9-shot .22, if you can find one. Bought mine back when Wally World still sold handguns. Out the door for under $150.

100_0565.jpg
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • Uncle BSUncle BS Member Marietta, GeorgiaPosts: 380 Member
    I'm very partial to S&W revolvers, in my opinion they are head and shoulders above the competition in the fit and finish dept.
  • yorchiyorchi Member Posts: 52 Member
    Also, any reason you are stuck on revolver? Not a thing wrong with them, but you can find a plethora of quality semi auto pistols for under 400 bones

Yeah, I want to be able to have a CCW for pistol and revolver, also when I go to the range I can just pop the week out, dump the use rounds and put new one, instead of loading mags, and also, I never had a revolver, so I'm gonna give it a try
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member KentuckyPosts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Uncle BS wrote: »
    I'm very partial to S&W revolvers, in my opinion they are head and shoulders above the competition in the fit and finish dept.

I agree BS.....my mod.63 is the smoothest shooting revolver I have ever shot. Smoothest trigger pull, a dream to shoot. I took my CCDW test with it and loaned it out to some to do the same. My wife will use it when she gets ready for her's.
  • SnaketailSnaketail Member North Messico (Tucson)Posts: 33 Member
    I suggest something with good adjustable sights - as you get more experience you'll want to "target" shoot with better accuracy. A S&M J or K frame gun with adjustable sights will suite you well. But, for the money you'll be hard pressed to find a better .22 handgun that the Ruger MkII or III - accurate, reliable and tons of aftermarket add-ons.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,687 Senior Member
    Let me explain my negativity toward the Taurus .22 revolver. The wife and I both carry snubby .38's, so I thought a snubby .22 would be great for practice. So I bought a Taurus 94 at a gun show, where they have everything bolted to the tables and won't let you dry fire. The DA trigger pull was so stiff I could barely pull it and the wife couldn't pull it at all, or cock the hammer for SA. I installed a reduced power spring and the trigger pull became tolerable, but the gun would not fire, so I had to re-install the original spring. After about 100 rounds, the gun started to jam, the cylinder would not turn. Sent it back to the factory for the "lifetime " repair. Traded it off as it was virtually useless for practice. Found a nice used S&W model 34 and just love it.
    Also had similar issues with a Chiappa 1911-22, was sent back to factory and returned to me with the same issues. Two brands I will never own again!!
    Taurus are not inexpensive, but they are cheap, and the market is flooded with them. If you are looking for a .22 semi-auto I highly recommend the Browning Buckmark, very accurate and reliable.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Let me explain my negativity toward the Taurus .22 revolver. The wife and I both carry snubby .38's, so I thought a snubby .22 would be great for practice. So I bought a Taurus 94 at a gun show, where they have everything bolted to the tables and won't let you dry fire. The DA trigger pull was so stiff I could barely pull it and the wife couldn't pull it at all, or cock the hammer for SA. I installed a reduced power spring and the trigger pull became tolerable, but the gun would not fire, so I had to re-install the original spring. After about 100 rounds, the gun started to jam, the cylinder would not turn. Sent it back to the factory for the "lifetime " repair. Traded it off as it was virtually useless for practice. Found a nice used S&W model 34 and just love it.
    Also had similar issues with a Chiappa 1911-22, was sent back to factory and returned to me with the same issues. Two brands I will never own again!!
    Taurus are not inexpensive, but they are cheap, and the market is flooded with them. If you are looking for a .22 semi-auto I highly recommend the Browning Buckmark, very accurate and reliable.

I too HAD a Taurus .22 LR revolver, copy of a S&W model 17 (?) it looked Ok, but I experienced the same issues you did. Also had a a Taurus .22 mag and later a .38 spl model 85 (which fired good and probably the best they ever offered in a revolver, it looked like a cheap chrome cap pistol and the trigger was atrocious)

Nope and Hell No to another Taurus.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!