Home Main Category Personal Defense

Girl looking for handgun

freedomgirlfreedomgirl New MemberPosts: 1 New Member
Hello everyone. I am a girl that is looking to purchase a handgun. Please give advice on what is a good fit.

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,150 Senior Member
    A handgun for what? Learning? Plinking? Self Defense? Hunting?

I assume you mean for self defense since you posted in the SD forum. What is your current level of knowledge with guns? Have you shot before?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 660 Senior Member
    I suggest you find a range or gun shop with a range that rents firearms and give several that seem to fit you a try. Also it would help to have someone you trust show you how to handle a firearm. Someone that really has a clue.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,728 Senior Member
    Welcome to the forum.

Will this be your first handgun? Do you have experience shooting already? What is the intended purpose?
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    Hello everyone. I am a girl that is looking to purchase a handgun. Please give advice on what is a good fit.

Ok,

Before you can ask us to give you direction to make a good choice for you, you need to give us some info. The reason for this is this is a forum that is not loaded with gunshop commandos. There is a whole lot of experience here in just about any aspect of shooting, and if you don't know, you are free to stay, as long as you wish to be informed. The folks who read the last article in a gun mag, and decide they are the harbinger of knowledge don't seem to last long.

So, are you looking for a self defense nightstand pistol or revolver, or one to carry? Are you looking for a range gun to plink with, or a serious steel plate match gun?

Thing is, I have seen all types of women shoot all types of firearms, and there is no "girl" gun. (except a 270, we will cover that later) EG, My wife can shoot a full sized 1911 well enough to embarrass cops off the range (true story). She also carrys either a 357 revolver or a pocket 9mm. The husband and wife jeweler team I got our wedding rings from shot. The wife, all 5 foot nuttin 93 lb shot a 357 with a 9 in bbl in steel plate matches. Taught a buddys sister, she was good with a 32acp French MAB, didnt care for recoil. Same guys wife (doctor) carrys a pocket 32 is a Flashbang holster and keeps a 38 revolver for a bedside. My daughter is keen on my Browning High Power 9mm. She isnt going to get it, but she likes it.

There is no "one" type of handgun for a girl, as there are different types of girls.

PS dont get any info from MS. mag or the Huffpo, actually, there is a current article being written there that is exactly the wrong way to go about getting a firearm and why. Read it. It is posted here under the heading "Seriously?" If you wish to get the wrong firearm and become a hazard to yourself and those around you because you choose to be willfully ignorant, that is a blueprint.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard, I hope.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,660 Senior Member
    I'm no expert myself, but there is an amazing amount of knowledge here on this forum. I'll just contribute that my wife will blast away all day with a .357 Magnum revolver (what recoil?), but doesn't like 9mm automatics. Her sister is the exact opposite, owning an S&W 9mm.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Welcome to the forum, freedom...

As per the other folks here, it depends on what is the purpose of the gun. But I'll assume you primarily want it for self defense.

Find a good friend who already has gun experience and ask for help. If you don't have this, then go to a large, well-kept shooting range or gun shop in your area and seek advice. You can check out the ranges via social media to find one that's "female friendly" and not looking to cheat newcomers.

Generally, for most beginners for self defense, there are 2 recommendations that are fairly popular: a .38-special caliber revolver with perhaps a 4" barrel, and a mid-size 9mm auto. There is no "right" choice but these 2 are the normal "starting" handgun selected.

For revolver, I'd absolutely recommend Ruger. A superb brand name and slightly less expensive than the S&W (Smith and Wesson) or Colt -- both excellent brands too.

For a 9mm, take a look at the Kahr brand. Reliable, accurate, and not expensive.

Naturally there are many other brands to choose from, and other calibers too.

If you go to a gun shop and have some suggestions, post here again and list the particular guns that you liked, and we'll be happy to comment on them. Good luck!
  • REDDEVILREDDEVIL Member Posts: 153 Member
    Hello-Kitty-Desert-Eagle-handguns.jpg
    J/K DEFINITELY NEED MORE INFO ON YOUR PART,... WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!
  • bowserbbowserb Member Posts: 277 Member
    Absolutely find a range with instructors and loaner guns. Get a lesson and try several at the same time. You'll be better able to make an informed choice. If possible, try a Glock 19, the all-time modern favorite all-purpose pistol for carry, home defense, and fun shooting.

Please excuse typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history." - Ayn Rand
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I refuse to post my litany of stock answers to this question until I know that freedomgirl is coming back to inject some of her personality into this thread.

I hope she does, because I'm anxious to see what I will say, this time.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I refuse to post my litany of stock answers to this question until I know that freedomgirl is coming back to inject some of her personality into this thread.

I hope she does, because I'm anxious to see what I will say, this time.

Y'know, bis, thinking about this a bit, maybe we should all type up and save our "suggestions for new handgun owner" post and save it for later use. That way, each time a newbie asks, we just copy and paste!

And to extend that idea, we ought to save our stock responses to all other possible postings for antiquity. I'm starting a Clubhouse thread to the effect, just for laughs.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    Because the responses will be different.

In general, the stick ones are OK. If in this case she is unfamiler and looking for a house handgun, then a 38 revolver is her best bet, if she is a shooter or has experiance, then the options open up a lot. If she is looking to carry in a Flashbang, then a smaller pistol is a nessessity.

Gotta know before you make the call.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Agreed Chris. Either we intimidate her or she is too timid to converse, or perhaps trolling for responses, or just hasn't come back, etc...

Before this group of experienced shooters gives you advice, tell us more about yourself.

Girls come in all types of sizes shapes and attitudes, and there isn't one gun best for a girl. It all depends on you.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester: