Home Main Category Personal Defense

Can/Do you carry a firearm at work? (Poll)

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 24,014 Senior Member
So, can you? If you can, do you?

If you can't do you have an alternative? Maybe a knife or some other form of handheld defense besides a stern look and a harsh word.

Obviously, if you can't ............... but do anyway............no need to reply.

Can/Do you carry at work? 39 votes

Yes, I can & do carry at work.
33%
bisleyJermanatorsnake284Bigslug2Aman10 ACgatorLerchessCheetoh734shootbrownelkREDDEVILZeeterminator012 13 votes
Yes, I am allowed to carry, but choose not to do so.
7%
BigDanSJerryBobCojbohio 3 votes
No, I am not allowed to carry at work.
58%
knitepoetwddodgeHappySquidDiver43LMLarsenFlashoverMichakavbobbyrlf3fire128breamfishershawn1172KSU Firefighterkansashunterpardograpier5316KENFU19111965JeffMississippiBoyRiflemannFat Billy 23 votes
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I can't even have one in my car in the parking lot at the places I usually work. So I have something like an Emerson CQC7 for opening boxes and such, plus a Surefire E2D in my coat pocket.

Years ago I did study Ki-Aikido and Chontu-Kwan Hapkido, but I never got the boots that let you climb up walls...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,014 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    And, I have some pretty vicious harsh looks and stearn words.

toothless.jpg
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,921 Senior Member
    No can do. I work for the Military and policy is no POW on property. Used to keep then locked in the car until policy was changed to not on property after the Ft Hood incident.
    I have a piece of mmm scap wood in the truck and a fillet knife in the truck. I am a fisherman after all.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,094 Senior Member
    Employees are not allowed to have firearms on the property but nobody says anything if an employee keeps one descreetly in his/her car. But I've carried a pocket knife of some sort since grade school..

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Yes, I am allowed to carry, but choose not to do so.
    I work from home. I don't need to carry, but I could.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    #4, upon occasion
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Can't, but while at work I generally have access to pick-head axes, halligan bars, and hydrant wrenches if needed.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,153 Senior Member
    Nothing is mentioned in the employee manual about weapons either way.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    State law prohibits non-LEO EMTs from carrying on duty
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    Can't carry my gun. I can carry a multitool, Kershaw Blur, and a CRKT Mini My Tighe. I don't always have the multitool. The logic behind two knives is, "well, I usually have the one hand filled with what I need to cut, and it's never the correct hand, so one on each side...."
    Overkill is underrated.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    I have 3 jobs so the answer is yes on 2 of them and no on the other.

Firefighter/EMT.....yes
    Fire/EMS instructor.....yes
    Maint/Trans supervisor at the elementary school.....nope not allowed.....even though it should be.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,926 Senior Member
    Retired, so I won't vote.....but then I can carry any damn time/where it suits me....guns, knives, battle axes, tomahawks, boomerangs, assegais, etc,etc,etc.....
    Seriously, my carry habits continue pretty much as they were prior to retirement...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Work rules say no guns on property but I keep one in the car. It takes a warrant for a cop to look and by boss can kiss my a&&. :worthy: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,635 Senior Member
    I carry at work.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 355 Member
    I could carry on company property, but choose not to. I always have a knife on me. I do keep my carry pistol, holster, extra mags, and even a spare box of ammo in my truck though, and I'm never more than 3 min. from it. Plenty of heavy steel "cover" in a huge lumber mill if someone ever goes nuts, plus quite an array of tools that could easily be weapons, pike poles, large pry bars, you get the idea.
  • 10 AC10 AC Member Posts: 309 Member
    Self-employed, so I can and sometimes do, or should say most of the time. Never know what day you may need it.
    Teach
    If you don't have a C&R FFL,you really need to consider getting one----it's a license to spend money, though.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    At my primarily job, nope.

However I did just take on a job at the new LGS.....
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,635 Senior Member
    At my primarily job, nope.

However I did just take on a job at the new LGS.....

Please, send Terminator some .22 ammo.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I am really surprised that so many places disallow the carry of firearms. Not sure what they think it will prevent by not allowing them. As if someone with nefarious intentions would obey policy anyway.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    The boss where I work encourages carrying. He even pays everyone for the day they take off to take a CCW class.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I am really surprised that so many places disallow the carry of firearms. Not sure what they think it will prevent by not allowing them. As if someone with nefarious intentions would obey policy anyway.

Well, most government employees and contractors don't have a choice.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    The boss where I work encourages carrying. He even pays everyone for the day they take off to take a CCW class.

That's cool. Though, I hear he has a seroous crack problem.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    That's cool. Though, I hear he has a seroous crack problem.
    Yea, but the fact that he lets me sleep with his wife makes up for it.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Since my work is here at home, yes. LOL! But where I worked before I retired, not no but hell no, :fan::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao: That bunch of Bunny hugging, New York City city slickers would'a flipped out big time. I'd been not exscorted to the gate, I'd have been carried there had I shown a firearm. And I'm talking Pre-911 days.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    "Work" involves lots of highway miles in my GEO or on the bike, interrupted by a few minutes' worth of looking at cars in the process of being repaired. I'm never too far from the means to defend myself, whether or not it's officially sanctioned. Being a private consultant has its advantages. Around home- - - - -well, a lot of you know what's readily available here!
    Jerry
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Yea, but the fact that he lets me sleep with his wife makes up for it.

LOL!!! That's funny Jerm! Reminds me of one story Lee Trevino tells about right after he started winning and making money on the pro tour. He said he was out front trimming his hedge and a woman in a Cadillac drives up and asked him (Since in those days you saw Mexicans doing a lot of lawn and gardener jobs) "Hey, how much do those people pay you to do their yard work?" He said, "well not a lot, but the lady of the house does let me sleep with her." She did a double take and drove of in a hurry...:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    Nope, I work in a "gun free zone" and am subject to random inspections...
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Nope only the guy who came to shoot students had a gun.
  • Billy GunBilly Gun Member Posts: 51 Member
    Can't have one at work. But I do have all sorts of interesting tools at hand. Hammers, wrecking bars, saws, drills, 5 gal. gas can w/ lighter.:roll2: I can have a weapon in my personal vehicle, but not in a company vehicle.
    Dr. db wrote: »
    Nope only the guy who came to shoot students had a gun.

Of course.