Home Main Category General Firearms

Removing leading

SnaketailSnaketail MemberNorth Messico (Tucson)Posts: 33 Member
I was testing some new loads in my .45 Colt rifle and either had a too-small cast bullet or too much velocity, or both. Anyway, the accuracy went from 1" groups to a 3-foot pattern after about 15 shots. Now I have to "get the lead out." Any suggestions for lead removal that don't involve mercury, power drills, or screen doors?

Thanks,
M

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,037 Senior Member
    1. Get an all-copper "Chore Boy" pot scrubber.
    2. Cut a piece off of that pot scrubber and wrap it around a .45 cal bronze bore brush.
    3. Lube with some bore cleaner, and scrub.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,751 Senior Member
    Brass screen will remove lead thoroughly, if you can find it. One pass is about all it takes.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • SnaketailSnaketail Member North Messico (Tucson)Posts: 33 Member
    Its a lever gun - so I'll be cleaning from the muzzle and I don't want to push the screen stuff in from the muzzle end. I've heard about Chore Boy - can probably work that from the breach end by wrapping a bronze brush with the action open.
    Still looking for the magic incantation that makes lead go away.
    If it's a Marlin you can remove the bolt and clean from the chamber. If not, you can certainly clean as cpj suggested.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,037 Senior Member
    Just fire a couple of jacketed bullets down the bore....
    I'm just here for snark.
    That doesn't help.
    I know, but it's an oft-quoted piece of advice.

Personally, I'd also find out what's causing the leading: sizing, alloy, velocity...
    I'm just here for snark.
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Ft. Laramie WyPosts: 820 Senior Member
    No point in scratching up your barrel or taking a chance on filing the crown down with all manner of things not intended for use in a rifle bore.
    Trot down to the closest hardware/paint store and get a can of Pure gum spirits of Turpentine. Wet a flannel patch with a dab of it, push that patch thru the bore on a jag. You'll feel that patch grab the lead, repeat a couple of times, then follow up with a dry patch or two, and repeat until the dry patch comes out just as pretty and white as when it went in.
    Take note of where the leading is, in or near the throat
    Then double check your loading routine, enough flare on the case to let the bullet seat with out shaving the base or the lube grooves, and not so much crimp that the bullet gets scraped off the sides of the case mouth when it leaves.
    If at the muzzle
    Give serious consideration to your bullet lube, not all lubes are worthy of use.
  • PFDPFD Senior Member PNWPosts: 1,840 Senior Member

I never tried it with a long gun but it works great on a handgun.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    Lewis lead remover with a rifle rod. Brass screen with rubber expander to keep it in the lead.

Shooters Choice lead remover- Solvent

Birthwood Casey Lead Remover and Polishing Cloth- cut off a patch and use with a Jag.
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    If you use the chore boy method, check it with a magnet no mater what
    the package reads.