Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Orders for Paula Deen cookbook surge

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
I don't thunk the woman's life should be ruined over this spectacle. I'm not saying I agree with what she said and she still has support/customers for her cookbook. Using the N word isn't illegal or is the Q or F word for homosexuals (yet?) Wasn't very bright to use it on TV, but reckon in this day and age of PC gone awry it should be expected she would get the medias full wrath.

Ever notice how conservatives get hammered by the press and libs get a pass (usually) because of all the "Good" they do otherwise. Double Standard fer sure.

http://wtkr.com/2013/06/25/orders-for-paula-deen-cookbook-surge/

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) – Advance orders for Paula Deen’s new cookbook have surged since the Food Network and Smithfield Foods axed her for using a racial slur.
Orders for “Paula Deen’s New Testament: 250 Favorite Recipes, All Lightened Up” surged on Amazon by nearly 1,300% in the last 24 hours.
The cookbook was ranked 115th on Tuesday, compared to a ranking of 1,592nd on Monday
“Paula Deen’s New Testament” is not available until October. Deen’s agent did not immediately return a message from CNNMoney about the book sales.
Scripps Networks Interactive’s Food Network announced June 21 that it would not renew Deen’s contract after reports emerged that she admitted, during a court deposition in May, using racial slurs.
“Yes, of course,” said Deen, when asked by a lawyer if she had ever used the “N word.”
Deen’s television contract expires at the end of June.
Pork producer and former Deen sponsor Smithfield Foods cut its ties on Monday.

“Smithfield condemns the use of offensive and discriminatory language or behavior of any kind,” said Smithfield vice president of investor relations Keira Lombardo, in a statement to CNN. “Therefore, we are terminating our partnership with Paula Deen.”
Deen also sells cookware and decorating supplies via her website and owns seven restaurants, including The Lady & Sons and Uncle Bubba’s Oyster House, both in Savannah, Ga.
Brian Warner, managing editor at CelebrityNetWorth.com, estimates Deen’s wealth at $10 million.
Deen, who uses the Southern greeting “Hi y’all” conspicuously on the air and on her website, apologized via video:
“Your color of your skin, your religion, your sexual preference does not matter to me, but it’s what’s in the heart and my family and I try to live by that,” she said. “I offer my sincere apology to those that I have hurt and I hope that you forgive me because this comes from the deepest part of my heart.”
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Posts: 666 Senior Member
    My take on this is.....Oh imagine that! An older lady from the deep said the N word occasionally in the past!! Oh the horror!! Who cares! This is stupid. Turn on any hard core rap song and you will hear it 10 times before the "song" is over. I can only hope the people throwing Paula on the train tracks have led such perfect lives that they never said anything inappropriate for any reason in their past. Totally ridiculous. Just the media lynch mob event of the week I guess.
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    She was so stupid. Nobody admits to saying that word, especially those that said it.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I seen some gal (not her) on a "Country" cooking show who looked flat out drunk and she was licking raw batter with eggs in it off utensils and smacking her lips saying you must bake this at such n such temperature to make sure it is fully cooked..............
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    This is so ridiculous. If she were an avowed racist like New Black Panther members, that would be understandable. But she used the n-word, what, 20 years ago?

The same liberals who are jumping on her with such hatred are the same who venerate murderers as "misunderstood" when they raped and killed a woman 20 years ago -- gimme a break!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I don't think she's ruined. Heck, she has 10 million dollars, earned by doing nothing more than cooking like every other granny south of the Mason-Dixon line. She had a good run before they nailed her.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    She'll be back and she should be. My Gawd! She's a Cook for Christs Sake, not Mother Teresa! Like was said, this is a typical PC Double Standard Libtard attack. Half the blacks I know use the N word when they're talking all the time. I think it was stupid to use it in public in this day and time, but my Gawd! nobody died!!! PC Run Awry is all this is. All peoples need to grow some skin and balls and get over it. Personal insults are the order of the day!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,043 Senior Member
    Meh. Who cares.

She campaigned for Obama, and now has the same people (democrats and the PC crowd) she championed tearing her apart.

Nothing worth watching on FN since Good Eats went off the air anyway.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    I have seen nowhere stated that she used the word on TV. I am not a Paula Deen fan. Her irritating personality and terrible overly embellished accent is annoying. I do hate to see her destroyed by the PC police! I like her son Bobby's show. I hope he is not being crucified too. Paula grew up in semi rural Georgia near the Alabama state line. I think she probably heard the "N" word more times than she could ever count. She is 66 years old. She was a witness in a civil suit against a manager of one of her restaurants. She was for some reason asked under oath if she had ever said the "N" word. She told the truth (she is a religious person who is required to do so) and replied yes. I would have to technically had to reply the same. When I was a 5th grader in 1962 I was required to read a few pages in front of my English class. It was from Huckleberry Fin and included N**ger Jim. I had heard the word but had no idea it was a racial, derogatory, hurtful word. In my part of Oregon there were two black families. One little girl my age attended my school. We had a dance class and my peers would not dance with her. I had no idea why. I danced with her and my peers wanted to look at my hands to see if the black rubbed off on me. Racism was widespread but I was unaware of it as my parents taught me as Paula's parents taught her that you do not judge people by their race or religion. You judge them individually. When I was a young teenager I learned that the "N" word was hateful. I have never used it since. At this time blacks were called Negros or colored people. Apparently now they would be offended by these labels. That puzzles me since the NAACP is still the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
    When I proofread my previous post the reference to Mark Twain's Ni**er Jim was deleted. I guess the PC police have control of this forum. Have the entire works of Mark Twain been redacted by the Ministry of Truth?
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 661 Senior Member
    Many of The same people who say ni**er is racist say that honky or cracker isn't.
    Many of The same people who say ni**er is racist say that honky or cracker isn't.
    Correct. It is not a "two way street". It is the same with a woman physically or verbally abusing or degrading a man in movies, TV shows, and commercials. If it is the other way around there is hell to pay!
  • bowserbbowserb Member Posts: 277 Member
    In the words of the next Dem presidential candidate, "What difference does it make?"

Please excuse typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history." - Ayn Rand
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    bowserb wrote: »
    In the words of the next Dem presidential candidate, "What difference does it make?"

Please excuse typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

And "That Was A Long Time Ago"...............
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,591 Senior Member
    I for one was deeply offended by the revelations about Ms. Deen. One cannot fathom the hurtfulness of such insensitive language. I'm glad she has not gotten away with it, and I hope this is just the beginning. This sort of thing can't keep happening. We cannot allow celebrities to use language that is deliberately discriminatory while enjoying their recipes. That's not what our founding fathers envisioned for our country. If you hate me, then hate me. Don't sell me fried chicken through the front counter and call me names from the back porch. I don't like salt on my watermelon.

:tooth:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Maybe someone can explain this to me: Paula Deen gets crucified for using an "offensive" word because she is white, but Quentin Tarantino has made millions off the endless use of the same exact word. And he's a white boy. :uhm:
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    I for one was deeply offended by the revelations about Ms. Deen. One cannot fathom the hurtfulness of such insensitive language. I'm glad she has not gotten away with it, and I hope this is just the beginning. This sort of thing can't keep happening. We cannot allow celebrities to use language that is deliberately discriminatory while enjoying their recipes. That's not what our founding fathers envisioned for our country. If you hate me, then hate me. Don't sell me fried chicken through the front counter and call me names from the back porch. I don't like salt on my watermelon.

:tooth:

:)

I'm glad you're still around, bud.

And by bud, I don't mean anything derogatory. :tooth:
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »

This^ Haven't seen a post in quite a while... Welcome back!

Paula Dean? Meh. I don't think she should be crucified quite like she has as the alleged incident happened so long ago, but sometimes a person needs to learn to just shut up. She was under oath so she couldn't lie about it but for gosh sake woman, apologize for it an then shut up!
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Stand around on any inner-city street corner, and listen to the kids talk- - - - -you'll hear that word used at least once in every sentence. Can anybody say "hypocrite"?
    Jerry
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    Interesting how people give words power.... and it appears that the ones most offended by "the word" are white folks....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Interesting how people give words power.... and it appears that the ones most offended by "the word" are white folks....
    I'm not sure those "white folks" are offended, as much as they think they should appear offended, in order to be PC.
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history." - Ayn Rand
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    I'm honestly kinda surprised folks are so surprised that she's used "the word" given her age and background.

She has done some other things to indicate a certain naivete about this sort of stuff, though. Planning a plantation style wedding with the black wait staff dressed as slaves? Not so smart. Saying of the young black man who's like a second son to "Come out here Hollis. We can’t see you standing against that dark board." Not smart. Just my opinion.

On the other hand, she said of Hollis Johnson that she'd "walk through hell with him" and some folks are mad because they think that's an insult: no black people in heaven. That's pretty dumb and ignorant, too, in my opinion. Saying you'd walk through hell with someone is an older compliment, one I've heard a bit in the South. It means you'll go to even the worst place with someone. Walking through heaven with someone would be easy. It's heaven. There's only a few people I'd walk through hell with.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Planning a plantation style wedding with the black wait staff dressed as slaves? Not so smart.
    That is really all she is guilty of. Even that, it seemed like a tasteless joke told to an employee. On the flip side, Quentin Tarentino makes millions by using the same word and is celebrated.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    It's all about the art, man!!!
    I'm just here for snark.
    Paul's Deen made 12 million dollars last year. If I were her, I'd just say to hell with them all and retire to some place where I can say what I want when I want. Maybe move to east Texas and publish The White People's Cookbook.

Sent using Tapatalk...so please excuse the typos!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    Yep, I've said "the word" I came up in the 50s and there was one black person in the county and had never heard them referred to as anything else....hell, I was ten before I knew it was insulting, offensive and hurtful....my sister-in-law from Mobile, Alabama informed me in no uncertain terms that "****" was the "polite" form of address....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The limousine liberals can take their phony outrage and stuff it in a black hole!
    Jerry
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Who cares about Paula Deen. She's just another Obama Democrat, one who Obama personally is throwing under the bus. Let her get run over. Twice. Three times. Let her feel the love and forgiveness of her liberalism. Serves her right. Did anyone here see her crying those crocodile tears for gun owners as state after state passed new regulations? 99% of Democrats give the rest a bad name.
    bowserb wrote: »
    Paul's Deen made 12 million dollars last year. If I were her, I'd just say to hell with them all and retire to some place where I can say what I want when I want. Maybe move to east Texas and publish The White People's Cookbook.

Native east Texans and most Okies were cooking Paula Dean's best recipes a hundred years ago...the Texans learned it from poor black folks who knew how to make cheap food taste good, and the Oklahoma share-croppers learned it because they were almost as poor as the black folks.

Besides, her enhanced for TV 'southern behavior' would draw as much resentment here as it probably does wherever she grew up.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Yep, I've said "the word" I came up in the 50s and there was one black person in the county and had never heard them referred to as anything else....hell, I was ten before I knew it was insulting, offensive and hurtful....my sister-in-law from Mobile, Alabama informed me in no uncertain terms that "****" was the "polite" form of address....

Same here - I never heard it spoken in a hateful way, until I started high school in the mid '60's, and by that time I knew to be respectful to anyone who had not proven that they didn't deserve to be respected...those few consisted of both black and white, in approximately equal numbers.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,591 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »

This^ Haven't seen a post in quite a while... Welcome back!

:beer: I'm always around.........I just like to listen more than talk.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.