Home Main Category General Firearms

JB and Jerm head to the range

123457»

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Plus I got a wife and kids that like to shoot. If I ever take them down there, I need at least 4 heavy rifles.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member In the sticks, OHPosts: 5,617 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    . Besides, I could say the same thing about your Savages, but I take my job as an enabler very seriously (unlike some people).

You could, but I don't own a Savage target action, or a target Accutrigger, or a 30" barrel, or anything with a 1" no taper barrel.

I'm diving into uncharted waters, my friend.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    It is a joy to watch you guys talking about building rigs for long-range :)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    jbohio wrote: »
    I'm diving into uncharted waters, my friend.
    ...and I put a heavy barreled Howa in layaway last week. Howa 'bout that for adventurous?

There is nothing stopping me from going full out on the next one, or the one after that. At this point in my life though, I still feel that the equipment isn't holding me back so much as the guy in the mirror. Slowly but surely, I am finding the limitations of scopes, buttstocks, triggers, rests, and some rifles. That is a good thing because it means that I am improving and learning something. Once I hit that wall, I will not hesitate to upgrade.
    -Thomas Paine
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,077 Senior Member
    When you weeded out all the equipment descrepencies...........there'll be nothing left to blame but yourself.

That's a good place to be.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee wrote: »
    When you weeded out all the equipment descrepencies...........there'll be nothing left to blame but yourself.

That's a good place to be.
    But none of us will ever get there. It will always be one thing or another. A Surgeon action might make a more accurate rifle, but it won't make me a better shooter. Right now, I am learning that I hate mil-dots because a stupid dot is hard to aim small with. I need dashes and concise points to aim small. I am also learning that posture matters if I want to be consistent. I am sure that the photo of me at the SE Shoot with my butt for all to see is something that will never forget even if you tried (and leave you scarred with for life) but it made me think-- I was all contorted trying to get my rifle steady, my face on the stock, and my eyeball in the scope. Not exactly the pathway to good shooting!

I feel that at this point, stuff like that is going to help me much more than an upgraded rifle. I can apply that stuff to everything that I shoot and not just one specific rifle.
    -Thomas Paine
    Wow. Deep stuff.
    Get a SP!
    I was all contorted trying to get my rifle steady, my face on the stock, and my eyeball in the scope. Not exactly the pathway to good shooting!

I feel that at this point, stuff like that is going to help me much more than an upgraded rifle. I can apply that stuff to everything that I shoot and not just one specific rifle.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Agreed!
    A well built rifle is easier to shoot too.
    At this point in my life though, I still feel that the equipment isn't holding me back so much as the guy in the mirror. Slowly but surely, I am finding the limitations of scopes, buttstocks, triggers, rests, and some rifles. That is a good thing because it means that I am improving and learning something. Once I hit that wall, I will not hesitate to upgrade.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    cpj wrote: »
    Or, 3.
    Shoot me a price for fun.
    Gonna be a couple weeks. Savage is on their yearly 2 week shutdown.
    knitepoet wrote: »
    You've got my address, feel free to send them this-a-way :tooth:
    The Sightron custom shop will fix me up with a MOA reticle and matching knobs without a problem.
    -Thomas Paine
    The Sightron custom shop will fix me up with a MOA reticle and matching knobs without a problem.

That is way cool!
    Who Did you talk to it Sightron?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    That is way cool!
    Who Did you talk to it Sightron?
    Nobody yet. They got it up on their website that they can now swap out reticles and turrets on SIII's with whatever else they offer on them. The mil-dot would work, it is just the way I would end out using the tops and bottoms of the dots to get a precise aiming point. That totally complicates things and the point of having mil-dots is to simplify them. I think their MOA2 reticle will work perfectly for what I want.
    -Thomas Paine