I don't always shoot varmints, but when I do................

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    You can treat the one to a Ho. Gonna need some penicillin afterwards ....

But beware, there's some things the penicillin won't take away.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    When I first met you I must admit to almost having that reaction but my bladder control was up to the task.................:wink:

Yeah, well I had a similar experience with you, but it caused a Bowel Problem,
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    bklysen wrote: »
    From the looks of things. the .308 is a damned adequate rabbit rifle. :up:

Without a doubt.

I will have a rather graphic image to attest to that later today.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,321 Senior Member
    Looks and sounds like fun. :up:
    They've gotten smarter. They don't stick around for long anymore. But, a few slow ones showed up.

I wasn't shooting rabbits today. Just spotting.

IMG_1459.jpg

Round through the neck took this one's head off.

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

Bullet impacted the rabbit at the bottom left corner of the picture. Body landed as seen in the picture. Now, look at the arrow in the top right corner.

CopyofIMG_1471.jpg

That is the rabbit's heart.

IMG_1473.jpg

It landed about 3 feet behind the rabbit.

I like the A-Max.
    One lucky rabbit. He moved right at the shot. (video)

th_IMG_1479.jpg

That was around 400 yards.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,551 Senior Member
    I've heard people talk about a bullet turning something inside out, but that's about the nearest I've seen to it actually being true.
    What is the time of flight of a 168gr .30cal A-Max at 1,100 yards? (Turn your volume up to hear the impact. It's VERY faint at 1,100 yards.)

th_IMG_1478.jpg

1.9 seconds.

:guns:
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Every snake says, "Play with me!" You mean, you don't hear that?

Great. . .Zed speaks Parseltongue. . .

Most of those rabbits look very surprised. Probably were busy quoting Maj. Gen. John Sedgwick at the time - "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist-"

How do you like that Horus reticle (or whatever it is)? On the one hand, I can see the benefits to the extra stadia. On the other - that is one busy sight picture.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Cool!
    Many times spotting is more fun than shooting.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Bigslug wrote: »
    How do you like that Horus reticle (or whatever it is)? On the one hand, I can see the benefits to the extra stadia. On the other - that is one busy sight picture.

It's the Horus H-58 Reticle.

LEUPOLD-Mark-4-ER-T-8_5-25x50-Rifle-Scope-M5-Front-Focal-Horus-H58-Reticle-110563-Pic1.jpg

h58-1.png

file_13_8.jpg

At first, I was overwhelmed with it. Now, I absolutely LOVE it! No more dialing for anything! Wish all my guns had it.

I have the Horus TRMR2 Reticle on a different gun.

trmr2_reticle_0.jpg

tremor2-reticle.jpg

tremor2.jpg

That one is quite a bit different than the H-58 with expanded mils. The TRMR2 has wind dots and other wazoo stuff. But, it works very well.
    A great reticle is very quick and precise!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    What is the time of flight of a 168gr .30cal A-Max at 1,100 yards? (Turn your volume up to hear the impact. It's VERY faint at 1,100 yards.)

1.9 seconds.

:guns:

The laugh is because you can see the impact long before you can hear it.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,834 Senior Member
    Looks like you've got a helluva Jack population out your way.....we're just starting to see them again here after about 40 years...not enough to need thinning at this time...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Depends on the ranch, I guess. Places that shoot lots of yotes tend to have plagues of rabbits instead. This place in particular is absolutely COVERED in rabbits. Driving the roads right before light and there is a cotton tail every 10 yards of the road! Suckers are everywhere. But, there is a season for those. Plus, they are tiny!!! Like guinea pig size. Wish they were bigger, they'd be tasty to hunt in the fall.
    cpj wrote: »
    Dude, tiny or not, they be tasty. Cotton tails are few and far between around here.
    Suppressed .22+bunnies+gravy+biscuits=good eats.

I grew up eating them, but they were MUCH bigger. Here, it's about the same reward as a squirrel.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,663 Senior Member
    Every snake says, "Play with me!" You mean, you don't hear that?

Zee as a kid:

hFD827275
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,478 Senior Member
    Dude, tiny or not, they be tasty. Cotton tails are few and far between around here.
    Suppressed .22+bunnies+gravy+biscuits=good eats.

The last time I saw a cotton tail was this morning, when my dog chased a young one out of the front yard. We have them all over the place, as well as a few jacks. Problem is, we're inside the city limits and the local gendarmerie takes a dim view of discharging of firearms. I'm ok with that, though. I like to watch them.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Zee as a kid:

hFD827275

Pretty much. We had a 4' Python when I was a baby until maybe 8 years old. Between then and after, we had a variety of King snakes and Garder snakes.

Even had a couple pet rattlers.

About the only time I haven't had pet snakes has been since marriage. Even then, I had a pet Rattler for a couple weeks. But, the spouse wasn't keen on that one bit.
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    Z, I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .223. I don't reload. So far I can shoot <1" on a good day at 100yds. Would I have as much fun if I bought another one in .308?
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
    Dude. What's wrong with a dog?

:zzzz:
    sherwood wrote: »
    Z, I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .223. I don't reload. So far I can shoot <1" on a good day at 100yds. Would I have as much fun if I bought another one in .308?

If you're just going to continue shooting at 100 yards, there isn't much reason to up the chambering. Not that I see at least. Heck, I shoot my .223 out to 600 yards.

The only reason I would see for going to the .308 is if you really wanted it. Yes, it will do better at distance that the .223 would. But, what is distance to you? At some point.......something else will be better than the .308 at a particular distance.

Short answer.......I don't know. What do you plan to do with it that you can't do with the .223?
    If you're just going to continue shooting at 100 yards, there isn't much reason to up the chambering. Not that I see at least. Heck, I shoot my .223 out to 600 yards.

The only reason I would see for going to the .308 is if you really wanted it. Yes, it will do better at distance that the .223 would. But, what is distance to you? At some point.......something else will be better than the .308 at a particular distance.

Short answer.......I don't know. What do you plan to do with it that you can't do with the .223?

I bought the 223 just after I retired. I just thought it would be fun to play with. It was. Greatly. The Dicks store here also has those rifles for sale in 308 and 22-250. I thought the 308 would be easier to find ammo for. The longest range that I go to is 200yds.
    DPRMD
    sherwood wrote: »
    I bought the 223 just after I retired. I just thought it would be fun to play with. It was. Greatly. The Dicks store here also has those rifles for sale in 308 and 22-250. I thought the 308 would be easier to find ammo for. The longest range that I go to is 200yds.

For 200 yard shooting, the increase in ammo cost, recoil, muzzle rise, muzzle blast, and so forth by going to the .308 does not seem worth it.

Your .223 Remington probably came with a 1-12" twist, which for most purposes.........sucks. It doesn't allow you to shoot bullets in the 60gr and heavier class. That is down right unacceptable to me.

That alone would be the ONLY reason I would consider getting a .308 Winchester for 200 yard shooting and only then if you live in a very windy location. Even that, is looking for an excuse. 200 yards just ain't that far away and the .223 can do that in it's sleep.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,551 Senior Member
    We do have what are called swamp rabbits, but have never seen one.

We used to have a lot of those, back when I was surveying in the field a lot. I would see several per week when I was slipping around in the river bottoms. I haven't seen one in 10-15 years, though. They pretty much disappeared, as feral hogs infested the river bottoms. All the old-timers said they were delicious, but I never saw one when I was hunting, so I don't know. They were usually a kind of mottled gray/black/brown and much larger than a cottontail.
    For 200 yard shooting, the increase in ammo cost, recoil, muzzle rise, muzzle blast, and so forth by going to the .308 does not seem worth it.

Your .223 Remington probably came with a 1-12" twist, which for most purposes.........sucks. It doesn't allow you to shoot bullets in the 60gr and heavier class. That is down right unacceptable to me.

That alone would be the ONLY reason I would consider getting a .308 Winchester for 200 yard shooting and only then if you live in a very windy location. Even that, is looking for an excuse. 200 yards just ain't that far away and the .223 can do that in it's sleep.

The best ammo I found ws the Remington 45gr Green Box. It's cheap! I'd buy a couple of boxes every time I went to Wally World and now have enough to get me through the ammo drought we are having now.
    DPRMD
    Ditto

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,158 Senior Member
    Yes, I should have wrapped the snake around my neck for the rest of the day. Then, I could say, "It matches my shoes."

You are truly disturbed.

I'm not as bad about dispatching every slithering reptile within my sphere of influence as I used to be. But I draw the line to accessorizing with one.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
    What can I say, me likes reptiles.

:-)

Not bunnies.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,659 Senior Member
    What can I say, me is reptile.
    FIFY
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.