Home Main Category General Firearms

Empty Chamber Indicator

sherwoodsherwood Posts: 1,224 Senior Member
My range requires the we use an "empty chamber indicator" during a ceasefire. I can find indicators/flags for my rifles .270 and up but nothing for .17 and .22. Any ideas what I can use?
I may be old but I ain't dead!
DPRMD

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Posts: 14,104 Senior Member
    Does it have to be purpose made? Just put a chunk of dowel or scrap wood in there painted a fluorescent color.
    Meh.
  • sarg1csarg1c Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    sherwood wrote: »
    My range requires the we use an "empty chamber indicator" during a ceasefire. I can find indicators/flags for my rifles .270 and up but nothing for .17 and .22. Any ideas what I can use?

Shouldn't be difficult to fabricate one from a round rod. just bend a 90 degree angle, and a little red paint. Matter of fact, you may sell several....
  • TeachTeach Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Take an empty case and solder a piece of brass flat stock an inch or more long to the back. Paint the "flag" red and slip it into the chamber during "cease fire" situations, then let the action close against it.
    Jerry
  • ZeeZee Posts: 28,411 Senior Member
    A piece of flagging tape protruding from the action port.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • wildgenewildgene Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...small fluorescent zip-ties, 6" or so, you can buy a bag for about $3, little bit of heat to put a bend in 'em, we used to give 'em out @ matches...
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 2,874 Senior Member

Here you go. I would get a few.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/AR-15_Chamber_Safety_Flag.html

d_181-02.jpg
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    If you can give me a few days to get back to work I can get you hooked up for free, just PM me a mailing address.

A bunch of our guns ship in with them and customers don't want them. Have a few at the shop in a drawer. Just let me know.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • horselipshorselips Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    My favorite range only insists on an open action. AK-47 rifles have no bolt-hold-open, so the range officer just asks that we stick an empty case in the action to hold the bolt open. The guys there are cool and understanding.
  • BigslugBigslug Posts: 9,863 Senior Member
    Yup. Zip ties. I've started the loop in some and then froze the loop with tape or a blob of Shoe Goo. Makes a nice handle for extraction, and a lot cheaper than an "official" Chamber Safe.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Posts: 6,112 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Yup. Zip ties. I've started the loop in some and then froze the loop with tape or a blob of Shoe Goo. Makes a nice handle for extraction, and a lot cheaper than an "official" Chamber Safe.

This. Possibly with some brightly colored tape around the loop. You could probably make 20+ for the cost of one "real" one.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Well, it's not like I go through a lot of ECIs during the year. I have a several, at least one for each match rifle (4) plus a couple spares. They are all several years old. The one depicted above is a nice one to have for an AR. It will easily survive the bolt closing on it time and time again.

And nothing screams class more than bits of plastic and zip wraps hanging from the bolt of a multi-thousand dollar rifle.
    horselips wrote: »
    My favorite range only insists on an open action. AK-47 rifles have no bolt-hold-open, so the range officer just asks that we stick an empty case in the action to hold the bolt open. The guys there are cool and understanding.

My range has no such empty chamber rules. They just require that one not be an idiot.

But, from previous training/experience, I don't utilize the safety lever on my bolt guns. On the range, the bolt is either up (safe) or down (with me on it)and ready to fire.
    Pegasus wrote: »
    And nothing screams class more than bits of plastic and zip wraps hanging from the bolt of a multi-thousand dollar rifle.

A high dollar loaded chamber indicator (comparatively speaking) is not enough to even come CLOSE to making me look classy. The look itself is impossible for me.
    I was not talking about YOU having class, I was talking about the RIFLE.
    I was not talking about YOU having class, I was talking about the RIFLE.

Ah, I thought it was a shooting competition. Not a rifle pageant.
    Ok, you're shifting again.

We were discussing an ECI for the local range.

Now, if you are talking about a real competition, I will state that in my decades of competitions (hundreds of events,) I have never seen a made-up ECI as described by others above; every one always uses a proper ECI; they are cheap, durable and reliable.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Posts: 12,429 Senior Member
    This. Possibly with some brightly colored tape around the loop. You could probably make 20+ for the cost of one "real" one.

Ziptie something funny into the loop. Like a barbie head or something. If they are going to make silly rules, make it obviously silly.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I have never seen a made-up ECI as described by others above; every one always uses a proper ECI; they are cheap, durable and reliable.

And accomplish the same thing as the ECIs described by others above, no?
  • TeachTeach Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The ECI's at the York shoot are 4 feet long- - - - -they're called "ramrods"!
    Jerry
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Guess what Peg, I was given a plastic staked "marker flag" to use as an ECI at a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP match.

Really? Which match was that?
    I see. Well if I were mean and nasty, I would say that's all they gave you because they could not believe a real competitor did not had a proper chamber flag. But since I am not mean and nasty I won't say it.

So instead, since I am not familiar with "ARG" I turned to the Internet to find out more about it. The only thing I could find was Argentinian soccer stuff. That could be why they did not have proper chamber flags.

I've only ever competed in NRA or CMP sanctioned events with rifles, so that's my bias.
    Ok. Thanks for the clarification. Yes, pulling bolts instantly turns a rifle into a stick.

Sorry to hear about the demise of the group. It is a bummer.
  • Virginia BoyVirginia Boy Posts: 213 Member
    Go to Wal-Mart, the hobby section, look for Glitter Sticks,
    they are pipe cleaners, 12" long, a varity of colors, and you
    can bend them into any shape. Also very cheap.
    Rights and freedoms, won with patriot's blood,
    shall not be taken away, by ink from a tyrant's pen.
  • 41magnut41magnut Posts: 1,306 Senior Member
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • tennmiketennmike Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Luau_Pinwheel_17290_zpse4edd898.jpg
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • chicamalachicamala Posts: 1 New Member
  • Elk creekElk creek Posts: 7,930 Senior Member
    Reported
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • NNNN Posts: 25,236 Senior Member
    If your shooting am M-1 I have the answer:
  • BigslugBigslug Posts: 9,863 Senior Member
    Skinny neon colored zip tie.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • snake284snake284 Posts: 22,429 Senior Member

I know we had them at an Apple Seed shoot I went to. And almost everyone was shooting 22 LR. They were purpose built. They were orange plastic. However, I know nothing about a 17.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.