Range report: 1903's and AR pistol

timctimc Senior MemberPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
Hit the range today for a little fun and some much needed testing time. The 2 1903's I de-bubbaed and the AR pistol that I still had not fired since putting the new upper on it.

Range was pretty nice today with lots of clouds and only 92 degrees. Very light wind and what was headed straight away from me towards the targets. The range was fairly empty which really surprised me for a Friday during the summer so it was a really nice time out there.

First off the 1903's; I started with the Ex-Golden state arms build with the Weaver V7 scope. This rifle shot 1 1/2" to 2" groups before I converted it and it pretty much stayed the same. The gun is good enough for a nice hunter but I don't think it will ever be a long range head shooter on pigs without a new barrel. I think I will sell this rifle since I was only planning on keeping one of the pair. Here is the sight in target I used trying 2 different types of 150 grain ammo and then some 180 grain ammo. Nothing really shot spectacular.
40C93ABE-C3CE-44F3-969B-D275BB1B6211-1836-0000024B8AD3176F_zpsef655384.jpg

Next was the other 1903 of unknown origin, I guess I should say both guns are Remington 1903's. This rifle is sporting the Weaver K3 with 2 moa mil dot reticle and super fine crosshairs that are almost impossible to see but the dot is pretty nice. This rifle I shot using the same ammo as the other rifle and it ... well what can I say OMG! The rifle seemed like it did not care a lot what I fed it but it really shined with the 150 grain Nosler partition an 49.0 grains of H335. The first 2 rounds touching high right, scope was adjusted, second 2 rounds low left, scope was adjusted, Last round in the bull. This rifle is an absolute tack driver and I am really pleased with it!

3626FDC3-6AD0-4BBB-8E11-398D0E943FEE-1836-0000024B6DACFBB1_zps0cddf05a.jpg\\

Last was the RR AR pistol. I put 120 rounds though it today with no hiccups what so ever. She is sighted in and ready to go. This is nice because I had trouble with the factory trigger and low velocities with the 7" barrel. The 11" barrel I have on it now is very nice and gives a good sight radius with the BUIS. This was a great da today and I will now do the happy dance!

3F7C3D3B-C406-4315-8F62-063E553F0FDD-243-00000012A4ACE9D0_zpse04d0c8e.jpg
01037C3C-3C70-4013-A358-FD0463BC67F4-14110-000011CC0880F5CD_zps762fc65b.jpg
timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,825 Senior Member
    NICE!
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,132 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    NICE!

Yeah, what he said!!!! :agree:

:yousuck:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,233 Senior Member
    The '03 rifle that fired that second group is definitely a keeper!
    Good to hear the AR pistol is behaving itself better with the longer barrel, too. :up:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,951 Senior Member
    That one '03 is smoking!! Like the pistol as well and glad it's finally up and running consistently.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    That one '03 is smoking!! Like the pistol as well and glad it's finally up and running consistently.

I am definitely stoked about throne rifle. I should add those rifle groups were at 100 yards.

The pistol is definitely 100% now with the new upper and new trigger. I am happy with it now.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    In the picture of the two '03s, which one is the winner?

I missed that you changed pistol uppers. What do you have now and what did you do with the RRA?
    Zee wrote: »
    In the picture of the two '03s, which one is the winner?

I missed that you changed pistol uppers. What do you have now and what did you do with the RRA?

The bottom one with the K3 is the winner which goes to show magnification does not mean more accurate!

When I first got the R/R pistol I could not get decent velocities out of it with the 7" barrel and I had some serious reset issues with the factory trigger. So now with the 11" YHM upper and the new mil-spec trigger all problems are solved.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,122 Senior Member
    No targets for the pistol? What range with it and what did it like for bullets?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    No targets for the pistol? What range with it and what did it like for bullets?

Didn't think to take a pic of the pistol target. I was shooting it at 50 yards using 55 grain Federal ammo mainly just for a function check. The gun is not a tack driver but it will will do the job if called upon. I still need to do some load developement going to try some 50 grain SST's when I get the chance.
    What twist is the pistol barrel?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    What twist is the pistol barrel?

It has a 1:9 twist on the barrel. I am very happy with it now that it is reliable and I am very satisfied with the accuracy. The YHM upper also fits much tighter than the Rock River upper did which is nice, there is no wobble at all between the upper and lower. I should add the barrel is 11.5" not 11.0".

I bought the upper off gunbroker from this guy http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=354662993. He was good to deal with and his price is decent so if your looking for one this auction is current.
    Bullsi recommended him also, I am going 7", with a 1/7 twist. Post up if you try some heavier bullets please.
    Bullsi recommended him also, I am going 7", with a 1/7 twist. Post up if you try some heavier bullets please.

I have some 77 grain Bergers and I think some 69 grain I will try. I'll let you know the results.
    timc wrote: »
    I have some 77 grain Bergers and I think some 69 grain I will try. I'll let you know the results.

I have some heavier bullets in the stash also, should be putting it together sooner than later.
    Cool, let me know how they work out!
    I have some heavier bullets in the stash also, should be putting it together sooner than later.

:popcorn: