A slimmer pistol for EDC...

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,104 Senior Member
I went to the local gun show today and to my surprise, sold my Glock 30 for only $10 less than I was asking and sold it in literally 8 minutes flat from when I stepped through the doors.

I am considering the SA XDS-9 a SW Shield 9mm or a SW M&P 9mm compact. As long as ammo capacity is 7 or greater per magazine, I am ok with it. This isn't a "9mm versus the world" debate; I just want some opinions on the guns mentioned if you have experience with them. Thank you.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    I think I'm going to get the Shield.

sent from my droid jeeping and surviving in the back woods
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,589 Senior Member
    My EDC has been the SW Shield for about a year now. I used to switch between a Commander and P3AT depending on what I was wearing.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,665 Senior Member
    I'd probably go with one of the first two. I've shot the shield once and liked it a lot. I've only handled the XDS and it felt good too.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    The Shield that mookie shot is my hot-weather sidearm. I love it.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,940 Senior Member
    Slimmer is nice if ya got small hands.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,623 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »

Yep you need a carny gun!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,266 Senior Member
    FWIW, the city I live in bought the police dept new 9mm shields. They all had to qualify with them even if they were going to buy something else (must be 9mm). The couple I talked to hate them. One told me they had 500rds to qualify with and it took many to the last 100 rds to make it. I don't see many in their holsters.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,082 Senior Member
    I've shot the M&P in a standard-sized handgun and the XDs in .45. I'd go with the XDs just because it's slimmer. Can't comment on the Shield.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    FWIW, the city I live in bought the police dept new 9mm shields. They all had to qualify with them even if they were going to buy something else (must be 9mm). The couple I talked to hate them. One told me they had 500rds to qualify with and it took many to the last 100 rds to make it. I don't see many in their holsters.

Because they suck at shooting, probably. I qualified with my old PF9 as a BUG on the first attempt.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,589 Senior Member
    Dont know about not be able qualify with the Shield, mine is very accurate.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,507 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »

:uhm: They bought Shields for duty weapons???
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Or if it's 97 degrees with 50% humidity like it's been here all week. What have you got against small pistols, Ned?
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Or if it's 97 degrees with 50% humidity like it's been here all week. What have you got against small pistols, Ned?
    Really? You're worried about what someone who shoots a .327 and calls a .40 S&W "snappy" has to say?

Really?
    Overkill is underrated.
    Just curious, this isn't the first time he's derided subcompact pistols.

NRA Endowment Member
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,507 Senior Member
    I haven't shot either, but just from handling them, the XD gets a "MEH", an the shield gets a "yes, please".
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    The XD-S 9 is actually heavier than the 45, found that kinda odd.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,156 Senior Member
    I love my Shield. At 10 yards, from a rest, I put three bullets in the same hole. Accurate and pleasant to carry. I know 10 yards isn't a long way, but it's less than a typical gunfight distance.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    The XD-S 9 is actually heavier than the 45, found that kinda odd.
    The barrel has more steel in it. Smaller hole with same external diameter.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,389 Senior Member
    I personally have decided on the Sig P290RS 9mm for my subcompact carry fun.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    REDDEVIL wrote: »
    I OWN BOTH THE XDS & THE SHIELD,... WHY I'M NOT SURE, GUESS IT'S BECAUSE I CAN I SUPPOSE. I PREFER THE XDS TRIGGER OVER THE SHIELD BY A LONG SHOT, BUT THEN MY OTHER FIREARMS ARE GLOCKS AND IT IS SIMILAR BUT LESS MUSHY AND MORE CONSISTENT PRESSURE. I THINK THE XDS HAS A BETTER FEEL AS FAR AS FIT AND FINISH, BUT BY NO MEANS DOES THE SHIELD FEEL CHEAP JUST LESS THAN THE XDS. I DON'T LIKE THE SHIELD'S SAFETY SO I DON'T USE. I DON'T PREFER TO HAVE A GRIP SAFETY EITHER BUT IT HAS YET TO FAILL TO BE ENGAGED. I LIKE THE AGGRESSIVE TEXTURE OF THE XDS BUT THE ERGOS OF THE SHIELD. THE XDS MAGS ARE BETTER QUALITY, IMO, AND IF I COULD ONLY KEEP ONE IT WOULD BE THE XDS (BUT THATS PROBABLY BECAUSE MY WIFE WILL STILL HAVE HER SHIELD. :tooth: I THINK I PREFER THE XDS AND KNOWING WHAT I KNOW NOW, I WOULD PURCHASE THE XDS OVER THE SHIELD BUT BEING $200 LESS,... WHO CAN ARGUE WITH THE SHIELD, IT'S PERFECTLY SUFFICIENT. YMMV

Good stuff. Thank you.
  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Posts: 666 Senior Member
    I really like the size of my KAHR CW9. Check those out!
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    What about a LC9, they any good...
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Personally, I'd go with the M&P 9c. My Shield was 100% reliable and extremely accurate, but just too big to put in a pocket (the reason I bought it.)

If I'm going to have to put on a holster and stick the gun in my waistband, I'd just as soon have an acceptable "fighting gun" to a sub-compact.
    Eli, when I first got the Shield, I kept my PF9 as a pocket pistol, but after awhile discovered that I preferred to always have a sidearm in the same place when I carry (IWB at 3:30 on the waistline dial). I sold the PF9, but kept my P32 for my pocket when I'm in shorts and a t-shirt. It's better than a harsh word.

NRA Endowment Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,940 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    . What have you got against small pistols, Ned?
    Oh my, we have a sore spot to exploit. :applause:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Uncle BSUncle BS Member Posts: 380 Member
    I personally have decided on the Sig P290RS 9mm for my subcompact carry fun.

This
    Or the 938 that I carry...
    cpj wrote: »
    Wow. I never knew I enjoyed grilled foreskin.
    Oh my, we have a sore spot to exploit. :applause:

Not at all, like I told the warmonkey, just curious as to why. If it makes you feel better, when it's not stupid hot I carry either a 1911 or an M&P45.

NRA Endowment Member
    "Yuck," eh? Freudian slip? :jester:

NRA Endowment Member
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    XDs in 9mm or the PPS...in that order. I have the XDs45 and PPS now, I just "ordered" the XDs in 9mm Bi-tone. The XDs45 is nice and I actually like it a little better than the PPS but I got a really good deal on the PPS, the only thing I don't really like is the paddle style mag release on the trigger guard of the PPS. Don't know much about the Shield...
    Cheetoh734 wrote: »
    ...the only thing I don't really like is the paddle style mag release on the trigger guard of the PPS.

That's what turned me off when I shot Wambli's. I don't want to have to learn a new process to use under stress, after over 30 years of punching the little button behind the trigger.

NRA Endowment Member