5.56x45 ammo question.

terminator012terminator012 Senior MemberPosts: 3,926 Senior Member
Wally world has several boxes of 5.56x45 ammo. Will this ammo work in my AR chambered for .223. I can't find a clear answer on the inter-webs.

Replies

• rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    Does your AR say 5.56 or only .223? If it is only .223 it is not recommended to shoot 5.56 due to higher pressures. Will it be fine? Maybe, maybe not. Personally I would not take the chance on damaging parts due to the abuse of higher pressures or worse, having a kaboom. It isn't likely but they rate them differently for a reason.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,458 Senior Member
    What brand of AR and where does it say .223, on the barrel or lower?
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,948 Senior Member
    The rule of thumb I've always read about the two prominate Military cartridges often discussed on here is that it is safe shooting the military version 7.62x51 Nato ammo in the civilian version .308 Winchester rifle, but not safe shooting the civilian version .308 Win. ammo in the military version 7.62x51 rifle. and the opposite is supposedly true for the 5.56x45 Nato in that the 5.56x45mm Nato is safe shooting .223 Rem. ammo, but the civilian version, the .223 Rem. rifle is not safe with 5.56x45 Nato ammo.

There are exceptions to both cases, and I would contact the manufacturer of your particular firearm to find out for sure.

However, if you're not sure, my advice is to always only shoot the ammo that it says the rifle is chambered for, which should be stamped on the barrel.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,926 Senior Member
    DPMS, lower says 223-556. Is there something on barrel under hand guard.

sent from my droid jeeping and surviving in the back woods
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,999 Senior Member
    I really don't have a dog in this hunt, but, I would not shoot 5.56 in a .223.

#1 son won't in his bolt action .223 either.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,942 Senior Member
    DPMS, lower says 223-556.

You are good to go. Buy it. Shoot it.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    I've read lots of articles warning about the end of the world as we know it now if you shoot 556 out of a 223. Yet I've never seen, heard of, or even heard a rumor through a friend of a friend who heard it from his uncle twice removed by marriage.

If someone has a documented case of such a problem please speak now.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    There must be other folks that don't think it will work. Wally's 223 is gone as fast as it gets there. They had about 50-20 round boxes of this stuff.

Either under handguard or bottom of barrel in front of gas block.
    The barrel is DPMS 5.56 1-9.
    Again, you are good to go. Buy. Shoot. Enjoy.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,825 Senior Member
    As Zee has said, you can shoot either in your gun. Purchase either or both and enjoy shooting it as you find which is most accurate.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Zee wrote: »
    Again, you are good to go. Buy. Shoot. Enjoy.

Yup, good to go.
    Thanks for the replies.:up:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,948 Senior Member

I'm not too familiar with DPMS, but if it says 223-556 I'd bet it is made for both. But to be safe and give you peace of mind, why don't you give DPMS a call and ask to speak to a tech rep. He/she can tell you and then the monkey is on their back. But I'd bet, as has been said above, it's good to go for both 223 and 5.56.

BTW, not if, but when I get me an AR it will either be a Colt H Bar or a DPMS.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,270 Senior Member
    As was said, if it's marked .223/5.56, you're good to go with either....just go shoot the thing...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I think it is an issue with how the chambers/throats are cut, not that military ammo is hotter. The brass may be thicker, but I use LC brass reloads all the time in my REM 700 and Savage 12, plus my Ruger Ranch Rifle will digest both with ease.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    I have been firing .223 in 5.56 chambers and 5.56 in .223 chambers for years upon years. Much to some people's consternation........I still have a face.

Either it don't make a hill of beans............or I'm the luckiest guy in the world.
    Big Chief wrote: »

Sounds like I need to get me some of that ammo and try it. I have been shooting 223 through it but according to that article 556 maybe more accurate.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,370 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I have been firing .223 in 5.56 chambers and 5.56 in .223 chambers for years upon years. Much to some people's consternation........I still have a face.

Either it don't make a hill of beans............or I'm the luckiest guy in the world.

This.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,521 Senior Member
    There must be other folks that don't think it will work. Wally's 223 is gone as fast as it gets there. They had about 50-20 round boxes of this stuff.

They don't think it will work or just as likely don't even know that 5.56X45 and .223 Rem are (essentially) close enough to being the same thing that it won't matter.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    I went and got me 6 boxes. They still had about 40 left. It was still the only ammo in the case except for big rifle calibers.