Do you shoot handguns with both eyes open?

TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior MemberPosts: 6,116 Senior Member
I read an article about sight alignment that said some people may experience "double vision when trying to focus on the front sight" and that's what happens to me. I can still see the sight and target, just have to shoot at the one on the right. ;-)

I would like to be able to shoot with both eyes open but seems dangerous with the whole double vision thing.

What do yall do?
Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison

Replies

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,331 Senior Member
    Close them both
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,116 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Close them both

Tried that to. Fixed the double vision.
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,933 Senior Member
    I shoot a modified version of "both eyes open".

Lowering my support side eyebrow, but not closing the eyelid itself, partially obscures the eye's vision. Not enough to negate the peripheral vision or view of the threat/sights/what-not, but enough to force my brain to rely predominately on the view of my shooting eye.

When one eye is not perfectly clear, your brain will use the clearest eye as dominate for information. So, I am forcing mine to do that with the lowered eyebrow on the support side. Therefore, clear front sight and full view of all the goings on.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,666 Senior Member
    Yes I keep both eyes open.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,946 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

Lowering my support side eyebrow, but not closing the eyelid itself, partially obscures the eye's vision. Not enough to negate the peripheral vision or view of the threat/sights/what-not, but enough to force my brain to rely predominately on the view of my shooting eye.

When one eye is not perfectly clear, your brain will use the clearest eye as dominate for information. So, I am forcing mine to do that with the lowered eyebrow on the support side. Therefore, clear front sight and full view of all the goings on.

I'm no Handgun guru for sure. I can't tell you for sure what I do. I just point and shoot. I mean you don't have to worry about me taking the Camp Perry matches from you, but I can hit Mr. BG if he's coming at me. But seriously I just point and shoot. Works for me!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,268 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

This :up:
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,999 Senior Member
    Both open.
    The left eye doesn't do much except increase left side peripheral vision, so maybe it increases safety in case
    a elephant charges from the left while I'm sighting in on the tgt.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • 10 AC10 AC Member Posts: 309 Member
    Both eyes open, but don't see much out of one any way.
    Teach
    If you don't have a C&R FFL,you really need to consider getting one----it's a license to spend money, though.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,806 Senior Member
    Both open.
    I am right handed left eye dominant. I use my left eye with head slightly cocked shooting.
    I'd probably get what you are talking about if I didn't or try what Z is talking about
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Handgun or rifle....both open! I don't see how anyone could shoot either with one eye closed!
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I shoot everything with both eyes open. I'm right-eye dominant, and it's very dominant.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,823 Senior Member
    I shoot exactly as Ned explained. I used to close my weak eye but a bout with Bells Palsy forced me to shoot with both eyes atleast partially open.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...I prefer the "Clint Eastwood Squint"... :devil:
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,845 Senior Member
    I try to shoot both open, and do in good light or when shooting more rapid fire like in idpa matches, but I do sometimes have to close my weak eye in lower light or when trying to shoot tiny groups to get the sharpest sight picture.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    the only time I close the off-eye, is when I'm using crosshair scope..
    everything else, including the red dot on the old old old target compound that I never shoot anymore, both eyes open.
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.