Thoughts on Black Rain Ordnance ?

UseyUsey MemberPosts: 102 Member
Whats yalls thoughts on these guns? Anyone have any experience with them?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 21,263 Senior Member
    Usey wrote: »

I've built two of them for friends. They are a Gucci AR. Nothing more or less than most others out there. They work about the same. Just look cooler with all the machine cuts.

I will say, I'd prefer they did a "melt" on the sharp edges. They really are uncomfortable. I guess they thought the hard edges looked cooler, but they are somewhat painful. Especially the integral trigger guard. The edge on it chews the crap out if my middle finger.

That feature alone would keep me from building my own.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Here is a crappy phone pic of one I built for a buddy.

image-20.jpg

Like I said, they look cool, but the sharp edges of the upper and lower receiver are a no-go for any close interaction with your firearm. Unless it's just ferrrr look'n at.
  • UseyUsey Member Posts: 102 Member
    Thanks for the info zee...a guy wants to trade me one brand new never been fired by him...it comes with the bro sling and soft case and p mag that the rifle came with......for my converted saiga ak47 variant plus 10 ak mags and 1500 or so rounds of 762....do you think im making out ok on this deal or should I not mess with it? Not gonna lie im only asking because im just not that familiar with the AR platform and especially not this build. I have been told these are quality AR's by a couple people.

They are quality. But, having shot my fair share of AR/M4s...........it's nothing more than a pretty AR. It does the same thing as a DPMS.

it boils down to what you want and what it's worth to you. You looking for Gucci or function?
    With the Black Rain, you are paying extra for the machining. Is that what you want?
    Deff function but I must say I wouldnt mind something that functions well and looks good....also was wondering how hard it is to change the handgaurd on them they look diff than others...this one has a 9" and I want to go with a longer one probably 12 or longer if possible.

It depends on the handguard and how it attaches to the castle nut. Some have their own proprietary castle nut. Others, use a generic one.
    They function just fine. I just don't like the sharp edges.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    A small metal file could probably take the painful spots away. As Zed said, they look cool but if you were to hold one not knowing, you wouldn't see any extra ordinary noteworthy results.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Not familiar with Black Rain; do they build rifles or just sell components? If the latter, find out what kind of barrel it has, and what brand of bolt carrier group. These are the heart and soul of an AR, and one can have a sweet lower and upper with garbage for guts.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • WORLD TWORLD T Member Posts: 262 Member
    Usey wrote: »

I had one. I thought the gun looked cool and being a Black Rain, it should shoot really well. PPPPHHHHHH!!!!!! Not worth the money to me. Sold mine and bought a Rock River that was MUCH more accurate than the Black Rain.
    They do build rifles...its a heavy barrel 1/8 twist they custom make their barrels...bolt is nickel boron the bcg is m16 nickel boron.

It boils down to, do you want it more than what you're willing to trade.
    I do I believe but I also feel like I could trade for more bang if I be patient by more bang I mean a gun that cost less so more ammo and mags can be involved for me.

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,953 Senior Member
    I mean it sounds like a fair deal and I like the AR platform better than the AK, just depends on what you want. It does sound like you're throwing in a lot with the ammo and mags though.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I picked up this rifle a while back which I believe is a Black Rain Ordnance gun but it has Dreadnaught Industries engraved on the receiver.
    The barrel is engraved Black Rain Ordnance and the receiver looks like theirs as well. What I can tell you is the rifle has been a sub-MOA shooter for me.

2C5D62C6-8F64-4F46-BE9D-A779B98A55C3-22963-0000266E3394D012_zps3ed518b5.jpg
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    I went through with it it is by far the finest "black gun" ive ever held...of course this is coming from someone who has been an Ak person his whole life.....want to remove this handgaurd and put the 12" or 15" one on and throw my aimpoint on with some troy back ups and possibly and AFG or vfg and call it done....

My question is if I put the 15 inch handfaurd on will I still be able to see my break being that the rifle is a 16" carbine?

Here she is bare bones will post more pics when shes done getting dressed up.

Didnt mean to upload that many times...phone went crazy

Brake should be fine.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,493 Senior Member
    VERY NICE!

I like the trade.
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    Nice rifle. "Let It Rain!" reminds me of Phillip Seymour Hoffman hoisting up clanker after clanker on the basketball court in "Along Came Polly" then the word "Shart" entered our lexicon...

Nice rifle though.

"White Chocolate!"
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Sweet rifle, You suck!

The 15" hand guard should come to the threaded part of the brake but the brake itself will be outside the hand guard.
    The one on mine is a 13"
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member