"Twin Action" Shotguns

Dr. dbDr. db Senior MemberPosts: 1,541 Senior Member
Does anyone have experience with these? Supposedly you can have a semi-auto or a pump by a select switch.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,342 Senior Member
    I seem to remember a horrendously expensive police-style shotgun I saw at a SHOT show several years ago. Don't remember the brand name (SPAS, maybe?), but the spokesmodel demonstrating it was pretty striking! Never seen one in action.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I seem to remember a horrendously expensive police-style shotgun I saw at a SHOT show several years ago. Don't remember the brand name (SPAS, maybe?), but the spokesmodel demonstrating it was pretty striking! Never seen one in action
    Jerry

What, the spokesmodel or shotgun?
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,342 Senior Member
    That info is on a "need to know" basis- - - -highly classified!
    :tooth:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    You are talking about a Franchi Sporting Purpose Automatic Shotgun also known as the SPAS 12. They quit production just before the ban lifted in 2004.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...Franchi SPAS, banned by the '94 AWB, production discontinued in 2000, probably <2K imported, very spendy, fairly complicated, not your typical "home defense" shotgun, these thing were truly "Tacticool", besides the SA/ slide double action they featured a magazine cut-off that allowed single loading of a variety of "specialty rounds" like breechers, rubber slugs, flash-bangs. Never meant for & never really hit the civilian market, saw a demo of one of the first ones imported to the US when I was stationed in SoCal (damn, that was 35yrs. ago)...
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,750 Senior Member
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,940 Senior Member
    I'm glad they shot that flower because it is a dangerous substance .

I went to a Mil High School and each spring we had a tactical exercise that included
    a tactical foot march down the highway. When we got to a fairly clear area between
    some fields, the flying club would make bombing runs on our column and drop small
    bags of flower on us. One time the Army LTCOL [ senior ROTC Instructor] got taken out by one of the flower bombs.

It was funny because he was not hurt, just had a uniform color change.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Just saw them advertised in the latest American Hunter. Pre-ban production?
    Also saw a Keltec (?) twin barrel twin magazine semi-auto. Seemed like it was two short barrel semiauto shotguns engineered together.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    Dr. db wrote: »
    Also saw a Keltec (?) twin barrel twin magazine semi-auto. Seemed like it was two short barrel semiauto shotguns engineered together.

...one action/ two separate "selectable" 7 round magazines, load one side w/ "buck" the other w/ slugs & "switch" back & forth type deal...
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Benelli offer(s/ed) the M3, which is a much more streamlined, conventional-looking shotgun than the SPAS-12. I had a chance to handle one out of the box once, and it felt, to me, lighter than an 870 of comparable size, and the conversion control was much easier to figure out and to activate than the SPAS as well, and seemed to be a quality piece.

The rationale for the design was to allow the same gun to fire standard loads semi-auto, and then with a quick action by the shooter be able to fully function as a pump repeater with lower-powered specialty ammo - bean bag, tear gas, etc.
    Ok, i dug out the issue.

TriStar Tech 12 is the twin action. 3"

The other is a KSG Compact Shotgun. I think you are right. Two magazines. One action. One barrel. Kind of a bullpup design.

The reason I asked is they may be more complicated, read "not idiot proof enough" than is good for me.
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    wildgene wrote: »
    ...Franchi SPAS, banned by the '94 AWB, production discontinued in 2000, probably <2K imported, very spendy, fairly complicated, not your typical "home defense" shotgun, these thing were truly "Tacticool", besides the SA/ slide double action they featured a magazine cut-off that allowed single loading of a variety of "specialty rounds" like breechers, rubber slugs, flash-bangs. Never meant for & never really hit the civilian market, saw a demo of one of the first ones imported to the US when I was stationed in SoCal (damn, that was 35yrs. ago)...

well, I guess that would be easier than trying to regulate the barrels on a box-lock triple..
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Saw the "Twin Action" title thread. Got all excited, clicked on it and read your post. Oh, that's right, this is the G&A forum. Not the other one. Oh well...

Now, back to your regular programming.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776