Need .22lr bolt gun recommendations

minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior MemberPosts: 714 Senior Member
I have roughly $300 to spend and I need a .22lr bolt gun. I have a Nikon Prostaff to throw on it, so please give me a recommendation. I am totally open to all suggestions.

Kevin

Replies

• DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    In that range I'd go with a heavy barrel Savage Mark II. They come with a good (not great) Accu-Trigger. I'm still kicking myself for trading my last one. It would average in the .4s at 50yds with Wolf Match Target Ammo (Lapua). Gonna be hard to find a CZ 455 for less than $400 and change--which is what I'd recommend if you like walnut.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,507 Senior Member
    Yep. Savage MarkII. Mine shouts bug holes.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,843 Senior Member
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=355587672

Start browsing. I punched in "CZ .22" and narrowed the search to firearms.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,023 Senior Member
    I have roughly $300 to spend and I need a .22lr bolt gun. I have a Nikon Prostaff to throw on it, so please give me a recommendation. I am totally open to all suggestions.

Kevin

Minnesota.....CZ, look for a used one.
  • rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    Savage MkII FVSR. Heavy barrel, light, accurate and already threaded for the can you know you want to put on it. Can be had for around $210. For a little extra pick up a Boyd's "tacticool" stock for $100 and DIP bottom metal. Solid platform and extremely accurate. I have the Boyd's stock on my Savage 64 and it is the most comfortable .22 I have fired.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Beg borrow or steal some more cash..... http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=355202495 ....Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,159 Senior Member
    With a $300 budget a Savage or Marlin will be tough to beat.

I don't own one but the Savage MK-II BSEV has always held my interest. Of course I do not think you would find one w/i budget.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIBSEV

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xt/default.asp

The XT-22 looks like a "kissing Cousin" to some of the Savage rifles.

I have a Charles Daly, Zastava (imported by Remington {Model 5} for a short time) 22 bolt gun. I paid $200 + tax for this little gem. It can stay with more expensive rifles as far as accuracy goes. Stock leaves some to be desired, but even new they were not expensive. I do not if anyone imports these rifles now but they would be worth you consideration if you found one on the used rack.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    Savage MKII or Marlin 25/ 925.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,757 Senior Member
    KENFU1911 wrote: »
    Beg borrow or steal some more cash..... http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=355202495 ....Ken

YES
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,329 Senior Member
    Save a little more and look for a used CZ-452 American if you're looking for a sturdy, reliable and accurate hunting/plinking scoped gun.
    A 452 Trainer model would also work (And if lucky, you might find a brand-new one for under $ 400), but might have some issues with a proper set of rings to set the scope (I used a set of above-average medium rings to mount a 3-9x40mm on mine without removing the rear sight leaf) and the stock "hump"; nothing you can´t both solve and get used to.

You might also consider the Serbian-made Zastava Z-5/Charles Daily/Remington 5 (Same gun, names vary according to importer); a brand-new one might be inside your budget. They're classic all-steel old-school style bolt actions that might only need a little work on the wood (Z-5s are usually rough, but with a light sanding with steel wool and a few coats of boiled linseed oil you can easily improve them a lot) and are known to be light, reliable and quite accurate out-of-the-box even with cheap bulk ammo.

Both should have adjustable triggers, 5 & 10 rounds magazines and eventually good resale value.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    Mine shouts bug holes.

Interesting.

:-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,623 Senior Member
    Mine is a Marlin with tubular magazine, which I like. But if I could bring myself to spend $500 for a .22, I'd have a CZ. Every one I've seen has been an amazing shooter.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,510 Senior Member
    Purpose?

For target, I would go old school......

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=354566358

pix862033961.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • road_warri0rroad_warri0r New Member Posts: 11 New Member
    A Ruger 77 is hard to beat, you may find a used one for $500 or so.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,798 Senior Member
    Tell us what you want it for.

Field gun with accuracy - Savage

Field gun with some looks - CZ 452

Bench gun - Savage heavy barrel

All in your price range used.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    A Ruger 77 is hard to beat, you may find a used one for $500 or so.

Accuracy and price wise, the Ruger 77/22 is the easiest to beat...
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    I agree. Bad trigger, which can be fixed. Good looking rifles, though.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,719 Senior Member
    The real question you have to ask yourself is ' Can I afford the ammo to shoot it?'

Just saying..........................
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • agewonagewon Senior Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
    I fell into my CZ-452 varmint for 450. If you look, they can be had for a few extra dollars.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,159 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Purpose?

For target, I would go old school......

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=354566358

pix862033961.jpg

I agree. For Target or small bore competition I'd go old school Remington 513T
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    A few years ago I'd have said Marlin, and I would still put their bolt-actions in the running, as long as the quality control on the .22's is better than the reports on the current Marlin centerfire lever guns. Tube or box magazine, a variety of stocks, and pre-mounted with sling swivels, with pretty decent "adult" friendly stock dimensions, and the latest triggers are supposed to be upgrades over the ones from a few years back. Plus, the choice of the grooved "tip-off" .22 scope mounts or Weaver bases (and I'm sure other makes) with pre-drilled and tapped holes gives you a lot of versatility in optics.

Savage definitely, especially with the wide variety of stocks and configurations, should be easy to fill your needs within that $300 target.
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    The real question you have to ask yourself is ' Can I afford the ammo to shoot it?'

Just saying..........................

I might have a box or two laying around somewhere in the basement:wink::wink: