Spotting Scopes

JermanatorJermanator Senior MemberPosts: 15,351 Senior Member
I need (well... want) a good spotting scope. I have a couple of cheap ones that work fine to see bullet holes at 100 yards, but that is about all that they are good for.

I used Big Dan's Leupold at the SE Shoot and I really liked that one. (BTW-- Dan, what model is that?)
As I am slowly playing around with distance shooting, what should I be looking for? Would it be advised to get one with a MOA type reticle as a way to give accurate corrections as a spotter to a shooter? Is there a way that it is done without a reticle? Obviously, anything can be had for the right price and the really nice ones are not cheap. I guess I am looking for that balance between price and function-- where it is useful for my purpose but I am not paying for stuff that I can live without. What should I be looking for in a situation similar to the WTRC (to use as an example) that Ernie shot in?
http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?15063-Wyoming-Tactical-Rifle-Championship-%28WTRC%29-2013

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    We have a Swarovski at work. I bought it to be used with our hazmat program on the thought that a quality scope can see better than a non quality one saving us from having to send someone into the hot zone until necessary.

I can count the grade marks on the bolts of a street sign at 100 yards with that thing. I know it was stupid expensive, the eye piece was 600 alone.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,780 Senior Member
    Kowa
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    I bought a Leupold and am very happy with it. The only problem I have is finding a good tripod. My old one all the ones I bought will not keep the scope from moving. Even the one that is recomended by Leupold. If you can find a good tripod please let me know. Thanks.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,354 Senior Member
    Last year I got a brand new angled-eyepice Leupold SX-1 Ventana 15-45 x 60mm from opticsplanet.com; payed around $ 240 for the basic package (No -apparently flimsy by the way- table tripod, nor carrying case; free S&H).
    In a clear overcast day or with mild sunshine I'm able to distinguish with a little bit of effort (But still see them) multiple .30 impacts in a paper rifle target (Including those inside the black area) @ 220 yards using the maximum zoom (x45). Bought it with the intention of doing exactly that, but under full sunshine conditions it can't be achieved, so you can say it does the job but leaving no extra margin. Friends with not great eyesight have shown more trouble to see the target.

Very pleased with price/quality ratio, but will swap it for the bigger 20-60 x 80mm model from the same maker ($ 425) as soon as possible so I can have a comfortable target spotting margin. A heavy tripod is a good idea since a little more wind that usual can make the described task quite difficult.
    I have a couple Leupold spotting scopes and I like them for their compactness. My Kowa wizzes on the Leupolds, however.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,351 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Kowa
    Their high end scope is a bit rich for me, but their midrange ones are doable.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,100 Senior Member
    The Vortex Razor HD (largest one) is biting at the heels of the Kowa, and you can get a Wide Angle MOA reticle eyepiece if you so desire.
    I just got into the mid-sized Razor HD myself-Perfect size for my uses (hunting and roving field shooting).
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    Leupold Ventana SX-1 15-45x60mm Angled Spotting Scope I bought on WOOT.com daily special.

41Rs9ER%2B1XL.jpg

$ 210 over at Amazon,

http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-Ventana-Angled-Spotting-Scope/dp/B004I8X1XS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374615571&sr=8-1&keywords=leupold+sx-1+ventana

I paid about $204 delivered.

Now the tripod was a pro camera tripod...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    Konus scope are real good for the money.
    I'm using a bottom of the pile Vortex I got at the bargain cave in Cabela's for 200, that is clear enough to see 45 caliber bullet holes in paper at 300 yds, and still stays sharp enough to catch bullet strikes on steel at 1000 yds and be able to read the mirage.
    I also have a Burris Landmark that is quite good.
    Also don't rule out a good pair of 20x binoculars for being able to pickup all the things an eyeball needs to see at distance.
    Don't scrimp on a stand either. A wobbly stand under a 1000$ scope will make that scope virtually inaffective. A good solid stand will enhance the benefits of even the lower priced scopes.
    I use a Manfrotto tripod under my spotting scopes.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,100 Senior Member
    I use a carbon fiber Promaster T325P tripod with a Manfrotto 701 HDV head
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,351 Senior Member
    That should work.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    I would like to find a bench mount for my Leupold. Any suggestions?
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    The short tripod is the one I use http://www.castingstuff.com/new_products.htm
    Bench top the tripod that came with my Burris is really nice.