Are "ARs" the only firearm people are interested in?

Dave MaesDave Maes New MemberPosts: 2 New Member
I think not! But that's all I see on TV, and in magazines. I own AR rifles, and run them hard. But give us a break. I'm sure I'm not the only one tired of having the "modern sporting rifle" shoved down my throat. I'm not renewing my magazine prescriptions, till I see other types of firearms on the covers.
I know there is no life form on other planets. If there were, we'd be sending THEM foreign aid.

Replies

• EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Dave Maes wrote: »
    Are "ARs" the only firearm people are interested in?

Not everyone. I'm more of a handgun guy. The reason that I own a rifle is that the way things are going in our beloved country, it might not be long before I actually NEED a rifle. Otherwise, I'll stick to my 9mms.

BTW, my rifle is an AK74, not an AR.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,665 Senior Member
    Let's face it, they're extremely popular, especially among newer and younger shooters. Also, I imagine that with the legislative threats we face the number articles is probably at least a partial reaction to that.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    I'm not so interested in them. I carried an M-16/M203 fer 20 years in the Army and just can't get excited about a semi-auto AR. I've fired plenty of civilian versions and they are surprisingly accurate, but the bug just hasn't bitten me ...yet with so many other guns out there to shoot/reload for and experience.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,837 Senior Member
    Welcome, we talk about lots of stuff on this forum besides AR's, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • agewonagewon Senior Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
    I'm a new shooter and I'm more of a "long range" shooter (at least trying to be) therefore I'm a Bolt guy.
    Even though I plan to have an AR in the safe at some point, my money is going towards something that will keep the zombies out of the effective range Of an AR.
    I'm a new shooter and I'm more of a "long range" shooter (at least trying to be) therefore I'm a Bolt guy.
    Even though I plan to have an AR in the safe at some point, my money is going towards something that will keep the zombies out of the effective range Of an AR.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,082 Senior Member
    Effective for what, and define "long range." There's .223/5.56 ARs that are used at up to 1,000 yds. in competition.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,569 Senior Member
    Really? A 1000 yards with a .223 you say?

Tell us more?

:bigevilgrin:
    Effective for what, and define "long range." There's .223/5.56 ARs that are used at up to 1,000 yds. in competition.

Shall I define the zombie apocalypse as well? Just throwing a bit of humor in there, that's all.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,686 Senior Member
    Yawn.
    I'm not renewing my magazine prescriptions, till I see other types of firearms on the covers.

10GA1308__27227_thumb.jpg
    10GA1309__71847_thumb.jpg
    10GA1307__51382_thumb.jpg
    10GA1304__03285_thumb.jpg
    10GA1211__77689_thumb.jpg
    10GA1302__08567_thumb.jpg

All of those covers are from 2013. All of them are NOT ARs.

Yes, there are a lot of AR-15 articles. It is the single most popular rifle selling right now. You want them to focus on what majority of people DON'T want to buy?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Pegasus wrote: »
    Really? A 1000 yards with a .223 you say?

Tell us more?

:bigevilgrin:
    Only going by what I've read. Not unless I'm misunderstanding.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/introduction-to-f-class-1000-yard-competition/

I would tend to think a bigger chambering would be more effective.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Sorry, I was just kidding you.

I shot F-TR to 1000 yards for a few years with a tricked out AR-15 in .223. I did well enough to take 3rd place overall in Texas (TSRA) 2008 LR championships and I made Sharpshooter with it. I even wrote an article about this that was published in Rifle Shooter and reproduced in The Book Of The AR some years back. I moved to a .308 bolt in 2009.

Of course you can make 1000 yards with a .223, in an AR. The only thing is it will not be with any store bought ammo. As for effectiveness, JBM showed that my 80 grain bullet would have as much energy at 1000 yards as two 40gr .22LR bullets at the muzzle. I have no clue if that's good enough to put down a zombie, but I know that I would not want to be hit by that.
    Just curious, but does ANYONE who shoots 1,000 yd. competitions use store bought ammo? Not those who shoot just one match to try, but those who shoot with regularity, I would imagine, use their own ammo.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,365 Senior Member
    The only time I ever shot 1000 yards was when I missed the berm! :)
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    Excellent point.

The answer is that most, if not all, competitors load their own. I will even go so far as to say that all ranked competitors, the ones who win or place at competitions, all load their own. I have competed with some folks who use issued ammo (snipers) or store bought stuff like FGMM but these were rare occurrences and the results on target spoke volumes. When somebody tells me they are using FGMM or similar at 1000 yards, I can pretty much tell you what the result will be and I pity the target puller; he's going to be working.
    Let me also add that we buy our components in large quantities and there are ongoing discussions about bullet choices, powder choices, primer choices but not really about brass choices; we pretty much all agree on Lapua brass.
    Well, unless it's a muzzle loading upper. They already have a crossbow upper, so why not a muzzle-loader upper?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,493 Senior Member
    I now want a flintlock upper for my AR...

really.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • temmitemmi Member Posts: 230 Member
    No...

I am interested in levers bolts and ARs

+

Shotguns
    Hand guns

And

ARs

I'm just in the market for a CC handgun and AR15 and AR10 at this point

T
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,957 Senior Member

O.K. That's just stupid. Now if you put a 28"-34" octagon barrel on that puppy, I might be interested! :tooth:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I now want a flintlock upper for my AR...

really.

How about a Tactical Caplock?

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Shooter13Shooter13 Member Posts: 125 Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Yawn.

10GA1308__27227_thumb.jpg
    10GA1309__71847_thumb.jpg
    10GA1307__51382_thumb.jpg
    10GA1304__03285_thumb.jpg
    10GA1211__77689_thumb.jpg
    10GA1302__08567_thumb.jpg

All of those covers are from 2013. All of them are NOT ARs.

Yes, there are a lot of AR-15 articles. It is the single most popular rifle selling right now. You want them to focus on what majority of people DON'T want to buy?

Now post one with covers of AR style rifles.. I too get bored with them and read the pistol articles with more interest..
    Shooter13 wrote: »
    Now post one with covers of AR style rifles.. I too get bored with them and read the pistol articles with more interest..

Simple math says that we are in July, and the mags usually run 1-2 months ahead of the calendar... so say 9 issues in 2013 so far, and SIX had "Other Than ARs" on the cover. What's that, only 30% have ARs?

10GA1305__10735_thumb.jpg
    (And this one was actually a new innovation using AR-15 parts to run an AR-10)
    10GA1303__31465_thumb.jpg

10GA1306__51350_thumb.jpg
    (Another one that was actually new, not a standard AR)
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,493 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    How about a Tactical Caplock?

I just puked a little in my mouth.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    I just puked on the floor. A lot.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member

I think it's horridly awesome!!! Grotesquely beautiful even. I love it when people slaughter sacred cows and hope the traditionalist get absolutely BENT over it.

It's heinous. I love it.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee wrote: »
    I think it's horridly awesome!!! Grotesquely beautiful even. I love it when people slaughter sacred cows and hope the traditionalist get absolutely BENT over it.

Which is one of the reasons I have a red-dot on a Buffalo Classic:

And I'm going to thread it and have my suppressor on it for hunting season
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    cpj wrote: »
    I kinda like it. But I "get" it.
    There's a few things that I don't like:
    1. Stupid muzzle brake/flash hider.
    2. The barrel seems a wee bit short, and I wonder if SBR rules apply to muzzle loaders?
    3. Big dumb rubber pad on the stock. I mean, c'mon, really?
    4. I don't like M4 style stocks. Shoulda gone with an MOE at least. Give the thing some style!
    5. The drop of the stock just looks wrong.
    6. I'm getting really tired of the snake skin pattern. And the colors do nothing for me.
    7. The Monopod is something I find of questionable utility.

Edited to add: All in all, if that was done to an AR, I'd still not like it.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Muzzle loaders aren't considered firearms, so I couldn't imagine something that isn't a firearm having too short of a barrel.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock