Scent Blocking Clothing - Who wears it? (Poll)

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,564 Senior Member
Just got my new Cabela's "Limited Edition" catalogue. Even though I haven't ordered from them in several years. The whole sales tax plus shipping charge kinda kills any desire to spend a ton of money.

Anyway, I was browsing the catalogue before I threw it way and noticed there was a plethora of "scent blocking" type clothing. Got me to thinking.

Do you use a "Scent Blocker" type of clothing while hunting?

Do you wear normal clothing and "Hunt the Wind"?

Do you just not care?

This is a poll. Vote away.

Do you use "Scent Blocker" type hunting clothing? 28 votes

Yes, I use "Scent Blocker" Type clothing while hunting.
10%
[Deleted User]jbp-ohioCheetoh734 3 votes
No, I just hunt the wind.
75%
bullsi1911Diver43bisleyJerryBobCoJermanatorU TorchidmanjbohioSlmJayhawkerbeartrackerKSU Firefighterfarm boywildgeneErnie BishoppardoggatorCaliFFL1965JeffZee 21 votes
I don't care about the wind and hunt a location regardless.
14%
knitepoetBigDanSwaipapa13Pelagic Kayaker 4 votes
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,554 Senior Member
    I know that the wind is all-important when hunting crafty game like deer or hogs, coyotes, etc. But, the only kind of stalk hunting that is available to me is squirrel hunting, so I don't bother with scent blocking. On the rare occasions when I do stroll around in the river bottoms with a rifle, I just walk a little, stop, and look and listen in the upwind direction, if I can even detect any wind.

My deer hunting is usually done from a box blind, so I just set it up so I can see three directions, and focus my attention in whichever direction I can feel the wind in my face. Even then, all bets are off if the deer are in full rut. A whitetail buck trailing a 'hot' doe tends to forget about everything else, and I know from experience that they will often ignore a hunter that they know is there, if they are feeling 'studly.' So, basically, I pay attention to the wind and direct my focus upwind, but try to stay aware in the other directions as well. In the area I hunt, I think the does and small bucks become accustomed to human smells, and while still skittish, they don't always leave when they know you are there, if you don't do anything to spook them. If you scan out away from them, you may see the 'big boy' lurking in the shadows to see if anything is gonna happen to them.
    Zee wrote: »
    Just got my new Cabela's "Limited Edition" catalogue. Even though I haven't ordered from them in several years. The whole sales tax plus shipping charge kinda kills any desire to spend a ton of money.

Cabela's has a new trick, now. They don't give you the shipping and taxes till you have 'pulled the trigger' on making the purchase. Then they send you an email, later, telling you that your stuff is gonna arrive a week later than you thought, and, oh by the way, we charge tax. I ordered from them last week because they had some .243 brass in stock, and didn't realize they weren't giving the final total before finalizing the sale. Seems like every time I buy something there, I find a 'hook' hidden somewhere.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Hunt the wind-Sometimes...
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,546 Senior Member
    My hunting pants and shirts come from one of the numerous surplus stores around here as BDU's are cheap and durable. I definitely hunt the wind and at times that I can't, I try to jack up in a tree as far as possible. I don't use any products to hide my scent but I do use unscented laundry soap and shampoo and deodorant when I hunt. Imo, all the scent hiding products are just a gimmick for folks that want to buy an edge.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,668 Senior Member
    If I ever see some for sale cheap enough, I'll buy it. But it's been too expensive so far
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    I take care with scent but am dubious of the whole bit. Clothes, detergents, scent blocker sprays....

Besides, its no use for me. I sweat just walking to the stand. Its hot and humid as crap down here. Trying to stay "clean" is a fools errand.

I just realized something. I sweat more during the winter while I'm deer hunting than I do in the heat of summer while I'm fishing. I've peeled off boots, socks, pants and shirt and sat in the stand in my boxers until they dry out some and I stop sweating.

Just posting about it has pissed me off. I hate sweating.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,052 Senior Member
    I see Jermanator doesn't use it, and he hunts the wind.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    Unlike us Jerm hunts upwind. He farts and can kill everything downwind over a 40 acre area.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    I voted 'hunt the wind'..................because that is the first principle of hunting in my book.

I don't use 'scent blocker' clothing but do wash my hunting clothes in Sportswash which (allegedly) removes ultra violet enhancers and laundry detergent scent. The following links explain it better than I can and since using a 'non UV enhanced' washing liquid, I have found my success rate and ability to stalk in close has improved over the period when I didn't use it.........

http://www.qdma.com/articles/deer-vision

http://www.outdoorchannel.com/article.aspx?id=3531

Now.......seeing as how its 5am and I am already up I took a couple of pictures to show the difference...........

I have a standard portable fluorescent light with a 42" 'Black' tube which I use when holding parties in the homestead. (Its similar to the black lights used in nightclubs)

The Fuji camera I have has a setting that allows you to take 2 pics, one after the other with one using the flash and the other using natural light.

Here is the first pic taken with the flash. ( in a dark room with the only illumination being the 'black light'.)
    The bottom green cloth is the leg of a standard pair of BDU pants which I wear when doing charters and gets washed in standard laundry powder. The camo material is from a pair of hunting pants which gets washed in sportswash .

433_zps0688d545.jpg

The next pic is the one taken without the flash and the only illumination is using the 'black' light.

432_zps6cafcc34.jpg

The camo leg does show some 'glowing' spots which is from lint...........The camo pants were sitting in the laundry basket in a pile of clothes that have been washed in normal detergent and the light has picked up the UV 'enhancers' in the lint..........................................But the green material is glowing blue from the UV enhancers.

Do deer see the difference?
    I don't know, but research indicates that they can and I figure that for about 50cents a wash, its worth it.

What I should do is wash the green BDU's in sportwash to see if they become dull............might do that later and see what happens.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I use that sport wash stuff too. Can't prove it makes a big difference but I think it does so I use it.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    I'm just in awe that someone read the directions to their camera and found out it had that feature. :conehead:
    bisley wrote: »
    I'm just in awe that someone read the directions to their camera and found out it had that feature. :conehead:

Not wanting to hijack the thread but I chose that camera cos when I am hunting it enables me to take 2 pics........one without the flash and one with the flash with one click of the button.....it comes in handy as I don't have to fumble around with different settings and one pic normally turns out good.
    That's a cool feature (since it relates to hunting :tooth:). I'm going to resolve here and now to read the instructions to something...someday.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,668 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    That's a cool feature (since it relates to hunting :tooth:). I'm going to resolve here and now to read the instructions to something...someday.

That will cause point deductions on your man card.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    I have the scent blocker pants and long sleeve undershirt. Lots of hills, and brush where I hunt, and I figured it couldn't hurt. We use spray and deodorant too. To get around where I hunt, you're going to sweat, and i'll take any advantage I can get, I have to travel 6 hours to hunt where I do, and i'd like any chance I can get to take an animal...
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    Pretty much a pointless endeavor in my opinion, you spread you scent by breathing, sweating, farting, etc etc etc, not to mention driving your car in your hunting clothes, eating breakfast, drinking coffee....The best way to handle this is knowing how to hunt the area whichever way the wind is blowing...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,546 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »

I have a standard portable fluorescent light with a 42" 'Black' tube which I use when holding parties in the homestead.

432_zps6cafcc34.jpg

The camo leg does show some 'glowing' spots which is from lint...........

Yeah, right.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Pretty much a pointless endeavor in my opinion, you spread you scent by breathing, sweating, farting, etc etc etc, not to mention driving your car in your hunting clothes, eating breakfast, drinking coffee....The best way to handle this is knowing how to hunt the area whichever way the wind is blowing...

This.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,672 Senior Member
    I don't care about the wind and hunt a location regardless.
    I have 2 FIXED (anchored to the ground) shooting houses (aka "box blinds") Both are cross wind from the prevalent north wind. I pick the one I want to hunt, or the one the wife doesn't want to hunt.
    Wind be dammed. Our scents permeate the shooting houses whether we're there or not, and the deer kept coming out FROM the south 10-15 FEET in front of the main one last season.

Edited to add: Alec, a couple of companies make "scent and dye free" detergents, IME it works just as well for eliminating the UV glow and is a LOT cheaper than the "sport wash"

I normally use "ALL Free & Clear" though I've been known to use a store brand in a pinch.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,488 Senior Member
    I don't do the scent blocker thing. It seems to me that scent blockers are better suited for hunting heavy cover, stalking close, etc., and the type of hunting I do. Where I typically hunt, 100 yards is a close shot, and I'm not sure scent will carry that far even in a light wind.

Also, we get a lot of swirling winds in the mountains. I've started a still hunt with the wind in my face only to have it hit me in the back a few yards down the trail. Hmmmm. Maybe I just made a case for scent blockers. Oh well...

Regardless, I try to just keep my nose pointed upwind, or find high ground and sit and watch.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,271 Senior Member
    One of the biggest bucks I've seen on my place stepped out of heavy cover about 40 yards downwind of me while I was in the process of taking a pee break. No, I didn't shoot him- - - - -had the wrong gun in my hand!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    cpj wrote: »
    Which is why the scent nuts keep the hunting clothes separate, and change when they get to the woods. Which is hassle. I'm not about hassle.

I guess if I was a 'scent nut' I would probably do that...............but I do all of the things that Jayhawker posted above including smoking while wearing my hunting clothes.

I use the sportwash only to cut down on the UV side of things..........Most, if not all the hunting I do is stalking and the wind direction is the most important aspect.
    Which is why the scent nuts keep the hunting clothes separate, and change when they get to the woods. Which is hassle. I'm not about hassle.

So that leaves the breathing, sweating and farting....

I do use unintentional cover scents....inevitably when I'm going into where I'm hunting, I will usually walk through some fresh cow flop...
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    I guess if I was a 'scent nut' I would probably do that...............but I do all of the things that Jayhawker posted above including smoking while wearing my hunting clothes.

I use the sportwash only to cut down on the UV side of things..........Most, if not all the hunting I do is stalking and the wind direction is the most important aspect.

This is kinda me I guess. When I hunted the Delta, you could count on a North wind. But hunting the mountains, all you can count on is thermals. Otherwise the wind swirls relentlessly. I will sometimes light a smoke to check the wind.
    But I'm gonna be hunting my own property this year and all bow hunting will be from a stand. So I will pay more attention to my scent control. My wife just can not get the slowness of still hunting through her head so she'll probably stand hunt for everything. I may still hunt when the acorns are falling. Don't know yet but it is by far my preferred method.
    Please note I made no mention of Wombats.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    I don't own any of it. With the exception of some of the Under Armor winter stuff that I would consider purely because it's almost well-made enough to justify the $$$, I wouldn't invest in any of it.

A big part of why I think it's a waste is the more and more plausible theory that breath odor is the main alarming scent we emit. I have asked myself why my German shorthaired pointer now completely ignores hidden pheasant "parts" (wings, bodies, etc.) after training with them a bunch, but will still go on an immediate point on a live bird. The only discrimitator that makes any sense is the breath or other odor not directly associated with the bird's body odor letting him know it's the living, real deal. It's likely similar with deer and other big game.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    It's not about completely eliminating you scent, it's about minimizing it.

Reminds me of the best deer hunter I've ever known. He was the shop foreman at the sheet metal shop where I worked in Louisiana. There's no telling how many deer he's bagged over the years, but it's in the high hundreds at least. All fair chase, with rifle, muzzleloader, and bow.

Anyway, the subject of scent-block clothing came up (shortly after its intro on the market) and he said he wasn't going to bother. He said in the areas we hunted there was no place in the area that some form of human or man-made scent wasn't floating around. Roads, vehicle exhaust, timber harvesting, crop planting, other hunters, etc. There was no way a deer in this environment wasn't surrounded by "unnatural" scents 24/7.

He told me that one of his favorite rut-season tactics was to find a fresh scrape (not rub) and urinate in it himself. This usually resulted in the buck coming to investigate the strange smell and getting itself shot in the process. He said he imagined that any urine, or whiskey or household cleaner for that matter, would have produced the same results.

His only concession to blocking his scent was that he always wore rubber boots when deer hunting, which minimized his scent while walking into and out of his hunting area in wet grass.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    The scent lock clothing prevents your sweat and farts from getting out as bad.so they say.

Oh hell yes! I look forward to being trapped in a MOPP suit with a breakfast burrito fart.....
    Linefinder wrote: »
    He told me that one of his favorite rut-season tactics was to find a fresh scrape (not rub) and urinate in it himself. This usually resulted in the buck coming to investigate the strange smell and getting itself shot in the process. He said he imagined that any urine, or whiskey or household cleaner for that matter, would have produced the same results.

This practice is quite common among older hunters I have known. Some swear by it, and some just do it because they think it might work. Personally, I think it makes sense, just from observing varmints (mostly 'coons and dogs) from my front porch that check out the spots where I have 'marked my territory.' :tooth:

And I'm nearly positive that some young deer get somewhat accustomed to human scents, at least until something scares them while that scent is in the air. Mature bucks seem to mostly steer clear of open areas if there is anything that is even remotely suspicious, except during rut. But that doesn't mean they aren't nearby, and I always look for them in the shadows, especially on the downwind side of any does that venture out into the open.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,468 Senior Member
    If you are tree stand hunting in a small area where you can't have multiple stands to be downwind of where the deer are moving. They work. Before scent lock clothing/ detergents, you could leave your hunting clothes in a plastic bag with a bunch of leaves for a few weeks.

I've had plenty of deer snort and stomp 100 yards downwind from me. Being 25' in the air can really spread your scent. I have used cover scents before. I don't know if they over powered my scent, or were attractive enough to the the deer that they just ignored it.... I used to put a 'doe in heat' paste in the tread of my boots, and plenty of deer (bucks, does, and fawns) followed the trail right to my stand.

I think scent control is even more important that hunting ground is getting scarce. Having hundreds of acres to hunt is very uncommon now. Lots of hunters are buying small 5-10 acre plots to hunt (my plan eventually). That doesn't allow room to move anywhere. You are going to have one direction to get to your stand, no matter what the wind is doing.

Small hunting plots is also why the deer feed/ feed plot business is taking off. If you only have a small chunk of woods to hunt, you need something to attract the deer to your ground.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    None of the above. I don't wear any type of scent blocker clothing but I do wash my hunting clothes in scent killer detergeant. I use a spray on cover scent for myself, my pack, my blind when I'm using it. I make scent-bombs from Tink's #69 on cotton balls in a film canister and hang them from trees along runs where I hunt. And I do play the wind as well. I may get some scent block clothes eventually but they are expensive and the detergent isn't.

As a side note- the detergent is also great for pet "accidents" in the house, like on a couch cushion or a spot on the rug. Kills mildew scent in the washer too.