Scent Blocking Clothing - Who wears it? (Poll)

2»

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    No, I just hunt the wind.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    BTW and something no one has mentioned. Scent control clothing is a heaven sent blessing for predator hunting. Coyotes have an amazing sense of smell and I have had plenty of them circle me until they got a whiff of me and just vanish never giving me a shot. When hunting with scent control clothing I used to see them all the time around and they never picked me up. Without it almost never.

You just smell bad.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Besides why do you care? You smell like cabbage and I would have to think that is a deer attractant...

Exactly!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,487 Senior Member
    I haven't bought the scent cloths yet but I have considered them. I still hunt steep thick terrain with swirling winds. I have used the scent eliminating wash for my cloths and body. I also make my own mask scents. Where I hunt there's a lot of Bay trees. I make a bay tea and keep it in a spray bottle then apply it to my outer garment throughout the day. It doesn't cover my scent but it helps.

One thing I do know is I stink! My dog proved that by tracking me 2.5 miles in the woods 5 hours after I left the cabin. Lesson learned.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,825 Senior Member
    BTW and something no one has mentioned. Scent control clothing is a heaven sent blessing for predator hunting. Coyotes have an amazing sense of smell and I have had plenty of them circle me until they got a whiff of me and just vanish never giving me a shot. When hunting with scent control clothing I used to see them all the time around and they never picked me up. Without it almost never.

I think what a coyote sees (or doesn't see) is more important (at first) than what he smells.....I mean, coyotes around here smell people all the time and if they ran off every time they smelled a human, they'd starve to death.. I most often wear a ghillie suit (which has a smell all it's own) and always set up with the wind in my favor. Inevitably the coyote will try to downwind the call/caller and I've had a number of them pop out of the grass a few feet away and stand there and look at me trying figure out exactly what I was and I KNOW they could smell me. Also had a number of them come in to a call from dead downwind and not spook until I stood up and they connected what I know they smelled all along and movement...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,499 Senior Member
    My buddies wearing $3-400 worth of scent blocking clothing don't seem to do any better than I do. Meh.

Spend the time scouting, and picking the right spot, be quiet.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,450 Senior Member
    Yes, I use "Scent Blocker" Type clothing while hunting.
    jbohio wrote: »
    My buddies wearing $3-400 worth of scent blocking clothing don't seem to do any better than I do. Meh.

Spend the time scouting, and picking the right spot, be quiet.

Doesn't take long if you only have 5-10 acres to hunt.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Oh hell yes! I look forward to being trapped in a MOPP suit with a breakfast burrito fart.....

Actually, a army surplus $30 woodland camo MOPP suit would probably work as good as the $$$ stuff
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    I'm probably wrong since you all are seasoned hunters and I'm not, but I thought the best thing to do was not shower the night before or morning before a hunt. Ya know, let your natural "funk" mask you.
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    I don't care about the wind and hunt a location regardless.
    I don't care about the wind, I hunt location. My prey likes to see me in my Allen Edmond's and Turnbull & Asser. Cheerio!
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,487 Senior Member
    Tried the sent blockers, couldnt see any real difference. I try to hunt the wind, almost impossable in the mts. mostly i wear jeans and a wool shirt. When i hunted S. Texas an old timer told me to piss down the tree from my stand, he said that deer couldnt tell my testerone from theres, it works, I've had deer walk right up to me and smell the tree, I've been doing for over 40 years and it never fails. With Whitetails in farm areas, there used to people, tractors, etc. When i lived in Minnesota & Wisconsin i drank coffee, smoked cigarettes, in my stand & i never failed to limit out.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I don't care about the wind, I hunt location. My prey likes to see me in my Allen Edmond's and Turnbull & Asser. Cheerio!

There was a time that I had several pairs of Allen Edmond's. Both casual and dress. IMHO they have no equal in comfort and longevity. Wish they made hunting boots, waders, etc.
    I currently have one pair in an Ox Blood Oxford. Had them for many years and they still shine up great. My newer J&Ms on the other hand are on their 3rd pair of soles and even more heals and the dang dye doesn't even go all the way through the leather. And they're almost as pricey as AEs.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
2»