Trouble with my wife's new SR22 pistol

TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior MemberPosts: 6,045 Senior Member
She's had some feeding issues from the beginning that we've been trying to figure out. Using lots of different ammo brands and that does not seem to matter. We were hoping that as the gun gets broken in those issues will start to disappear. She put 300 plus rounds through the range's rental SR22 without one issue. That's why she picked that gun in the first place.

But a new problem popped up last night. Lots of failure to eject issues. A stove pipe or two but many spent shells never moved out of the chamber. The ammo was Federal Premium Gold Medal Target and Federal Champion.

Being the newbie that I am, is it possible I'm doing something while cleaning and lubing the gun that's causing all this?

Any thoughts?

Replies

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    If you can find some, try CCI stinger and/or velocitor. The SR22 is supposed to feed anything....but a lot of newer semi auto 22s do better with higher pressure ammo. Ruger has ramped production quite a bit, hopefully its just ammo and not a QC issue from crankingout as many guns as possible
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,761 Senior Member
    As above. The Gold Metal Target is sub-sonic and could be your biggest problem. Stay away from Winchester bulk boxes. People have been having a lot of problems with them, quality wise.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,420 Senior Member
    Is the ammo firing OK, but failing to extract/eject? Sometimes that can be caused by a burr in the chamber, which can, in turn be caused by dry-firing. Not all .22 RF guns have the ability for the firing pin to batter the chamber if they're dry fired without an empty case in place, but it's worth a look-see with a bright light and a magnifying glass to see if there's a problem in the firing pin area of the chamber.

Brownell's sells a "chamber ironing" tool that swages a burr away without removing any metal.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Have you tried a different magazine? You might just have a bad mag.

good question tan boy
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,375 Senior Member
    Did you strip it and clean it well after leaving the store?
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Did you strip it and clean it well after leaving the store?

That's kinda my thoughts, plus some .22LR ammo can be very dirty. Lot's of unburned powder flakes and its easy to strip little bits of lead when it's fed into the chamber of an auto.
    I haven't cleaned th bore of my .22 rifle in years but I strip and clean the action fairly frequently. And when i do it's usually filthy. First failure to feed I get and I know it's time to clean.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Failure to extract: Take a good close look at the extractor for a burr or chip.
    Failure to eject: Many semiauto .22s don't care for subsonic ammo. Try standard or high velocity. Also check for a burr on the chamber like Teach suggested; doesn't take a big one to make extraction hard.
    What Dan said about cleaning is good advice. If there's packing grease or other crud in the works, it can give problems.

Not familiar with the SR22 but it may be possible that the failure to extract may be caused by firing slightly out of battery where the extractor never overrides the cartridge rim. Some semiautos won't fire unless the bolt is fully forward, and some will. A few thousandths is a lot of space at times.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    She did try a few different brands of ammo. Seemed to happen in both her magazines as well. I didn't realize the Federal Target was "subsonic". Wouldn't 1080 fps be considered standard velocity? I did notice the Federal Auto Match has a 1200 fps muzzle velocity. I'll have her try that.

I had seen stove pipes before on that gun but had not seen a spent shell still sitting in the chamber. I didn't notice a bur in the chamber but did not look for a bur on the extractor. I'll take a look at that.

What would cause the extractor to not grab the rim of the cartridge?
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,238 Senior Member
    Either a dirty chamber or a bad extractor. Sub sonic isn't good for these pistols. They need enough energy to move the slide back aggressively.

I've got a P22, which is essentially the same pistol. It works great, isn't particularly accurate but very reliable. I got mine for a can which it takes with an adapter, as the barrel is already threaded. Thing is, I can't see the sights with the can on.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,420 Senior Member
    What would cause the extractor to not grab the rim of the cartridge?

Gummed-up oil and/or soot, bullet lube, etc. under the extractor. It can either jam in the partially-released position, or fail to have enough spring tension to get a good grip on the rim. Get some spray carburetor cleaner and give the extractor a good soaking, followed by a long blast of compressed air to blow any softened crud away, then lightly lubricate the extractor with good-quality gun oil and use a small screwdriver to work it up and down a few times. It should move freely with no tendency to stick in any position. If there are any plastic parts, be careful not to let the carb cleaner damage them.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    My Walther P-22 is basically the same pistol, and will only function properly with high velocity ammo.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    Try CCI Mini Mags first. That's kind of the gold standard for semi auto operation.

Usually, perceived failures to eject are actually failures to properly extract. Field strip the gun and see how firmly a round slide under the extractor holds in place. It should be reasonably firm, or with light wobble at most. Lift up the extractor with a fingertip, squirt some solvent under it, and then blast it out with compressed air. If that and Mini Mags don't do the trick, it's warranty time.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee