Home Main Category Personal Defense

Police Fatally Shoot Grandfather, 72, While Searching the Wrong Home for Burglar

NomadacNomadac Senior MemberPosts: 902 Senior Member
Police Fatally Shoot Grandfather, 72, while searching Wrong House for a Burglar, Blame ‘Poor Lighting’.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/07/27/police-shoot-dead-grandfather-72-while-searching-the-wrong-home-for-burglar-blame-poor-lighting/

Appears these Officers need to get a GPS so they know where they are going. Maybe they should ask questions before they shoot an innocent homeowner.

Replies

• 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    This is happening way too often.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    I hope they fry!

But, we all know that won't happen.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,177 Senior Member
    Prayers to both the family of the deceased and to the officers involved in the shooting.

I reserve judgement until the full facts are known, rather than make a snap decision based on one article.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    Prayers to both the family of the deceased and to the officers involved in the shooting.

I reserve judgement until the full facts are known, rather than make a snap decision based on one article.

The FACT is that they went to the wrong house and killed a 72 year old man thinking he was defending his home. Not sure what else you need.

I suppose we should wait for the "official facts" to come out by the offending officers and PD. We all know they would never invent "facts" to cover their own butts....:roll:
    Michakav wrote: »
    The FACT is that they went to the wrong house and killed a 72 year old man thinking he was defending his home.

What I am saying is that we are always quick to jump on the bandwagon and start fingerpointing.

Dont lose sight of the fact that events like these are a tragedy for all concerned. Irrespective of the circumstances.
    orchidman wrote: »
    What I am saying is that we are always quick to jump on the bandwagon and start fingerpointing.

Dont lose sight of the fact that events like these are a tragedy for all concerned. Irrespective of the circumstances.

I won't lose sight of the fact that these same stories get repeated on a near daily basis nowadays.

That is the true tragedy.

I can almost say with certainty that I would rather have criminals come a knockin' than the police. At least I have a chance of not being dead.
    Decided to go back through the PD section and see how many threads/posts started with a thought towards those involved...............and found this thread from May.

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?14317-Police-Shoot-amp-Kill-Grandfather-While-Responding-To-Burglary-Call

You are right on the fact that these same stories get repeated on a near daily basis nowadays..............

I apologise.
    It's not just this story Alec. Nice try though.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,287 Senior Member
    I thought this sounded familiar....it's old news...so how is this tragedy that occurred in May worth a headline post in the Blaze in at the tail end of July... It's bad enough that it happened at all, but some third rate rag trying to get extra mileage out by treating it as if it just happened is a new low. Did anyone notice that nowhere in the article did it state that it occurred 3 months ago? Biased "conservative" news is somehow better than biased "liberal" news? If this is Becks "alternative" news, he can roll it up and pound it up his fourth point of contact.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member
    It has been a busy quarter. This is the first chance he has had time to get around to it.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I thought this sounded familiar....it's old news...so how is this tragedy that occurred in May worth a headline post in the Blaze in at the tail end of July... It's bad enough that it happened at all, but some third rate rag trying to get extra mileage out by treating it as if it just happened is a new low. Did anyone notice that nowhere in the article did it state that it occurred 3 months ago? Biased "conservative" news is somehow better than biased "liberal" news? If this is Becks "alternative" news, he can roll it up and pound it up his fourth point of contact.

So it is somehow less of a travesty because it is a few months old? I guess it is just like all the other scandals that get forgotten about within a couple months. No wonder our government has free reign with that kind of attitude.

But hey, "what does it matter?", it's old news.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,287 Senior Member
    Michakav wrote: »
    So it is somehow less of a travesty because it is a few months old? I guess it is just like all the other scandals that get forgotten about within a couple months. No wonder our government has free reign with that kind of attitude.

But hey, "what does it matter?", it's old news.

Read my post again...particularly this part "It's bad enough that it happened at all, but some third rate rag trying to get extra mileage out by treating it as if it just happened is a new low. " and "Did anyone notice that nowhere in the article did it state that it occurred 3 months ago? ' Remember any recent news where the liberal press "tweaked" the news a bit to make it a bit more sensational? My issue is that when "we" engage in the same tactics as "they" do....we're not a damn bit better than "they" are...it's that pesky moral high ground thing...

Bottom line......We need to remember this kind of stuff and put it under a microscope when it occurs....however, trotting this story out as "new news" destroys the credibility of the news source....I'd much rather hear an update as to what has happened to the officers involved.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »

Bottom line......We need to remember this kind of stuff and put it under a microscope when it occurs....however, trotting this story out as "new news" destroys the credibility of the news source....I'd much rather hear an update as to what has happened to the officers involved.

Point taken. Being that it was put out as new story, I can understand the disdain. An update, which I am interested in and will research, would have been a story.

My point is that these incedents happen WAY too often nowadays. It is hard to go a day without hearing of no-knock warrants gone awry, wrong house search warrants, overzealous police shooting up vehicles and neighborhoods (Dorner)...etc....