Home Main Category Personal Defense

Local Police shoot wrong door lock

1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior MemberPosts: 1,648 Senior Member
Our local police rounded up 17 law breakers yesterday on various drug related charges. Yet I have not read about how they shot the wrong door at the raid on Juliette apts. A woman at work said they used a shotgun to open her brother's door who lived one floor above the badguy's apt. They shot the lock for the entry fortunately, the door lock was the only casualty. If someone shot my door I am sure the outcome would be ugly- for both parties. These no knock warrants are dangerous for private citizens and the people serving them. This occurred in Manhattan KS btw.

Replies

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    Add it to the LONG list!
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    There are 680,000+ police officers of all kinds in this country (quite an army!) and I wouldn't be surprised if all together they are involved in around a million + civilian contacts each day. It is a mathematical certainty that errors will be made, and since cops carry guns, it is also a certainty that guns will be fired when they shouldn't be, and that sometimes property will be damaged, people will be injured or killed, and sometimes so will the officers. Fortunately, despite the gruesome anecdotes we are all aware of, mistakes are, statistically speaking, exceedingly rare given the numbers involved. Small comfort for those unlucky enough to be involved in one of these cluster-firetrucks, but that's why they make lawyers and why cities carry insurance.

Despite my defense of our valiant police officers, who collect great salaries and overtime, and retire young with golden parachute pensions and Cadillac healthcare, I am sometimes forced to conclude that 99% of cops give the rest a bad name. Go figure.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Shooting a lock seems stupid. The little ram things that a couple guys use seem a lot safer, for everyone involved.

But it's not as much fun for them.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,316 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Shooting a lock seems stupid. The little ram things that a couple guys use seem a lot safer, for everyone involved.

There's a number of tools that can be used to pop locks....halligan bars and rabbit tools just to mention a couple...lots of options other than using a shotgun...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • U TU T Member Posts: 423 Member
    Probably new procedure implemented by Joe Biden
  • agewonagewon Senior Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
    I've mentioned in the past how I support tactical gear for LEO's executing CERTAIN raids, but how is it justifiable to discharge a 12ga, in a multi-story apartment building as a means of entry? It seems to me that the team tasked to carry out these raids were either ill trained, under manned, or without proper supervision.
    In the gang infested areas by me, when they do a raid, they have to have a certain number of LEOs based on expected occupancy, and exits. Enough to cover every egress, enough to breach entry (ram) and enough to clear the house.
    I'd bet someone in that complex sues for emotional damage.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    Manhattan is not exactly gang infested, I will ask around to some of the local LEOs I know about what went wrong, I suspect they had a new toy they were dying to try out. I don't know as yet if that was the entry method used for all the arrests but I will try to find out from the source. DEA agents were assisting in the round up as well. They did remove 17 rejects from the area, but being positive about the address of your law breaker should be paramount.
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    Makes me wonder how many of these "mistakes" were then planted with phoney evidence to "justify" their mistake. "...oh by the way, let's add attempted murder, resisting arrest, unlawful discharge...

And some wonder why I no longer trust the police, at least in this state anyway.