Jerminator's reloads in my .223

alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior MemberPosts: 8,587 Senior Member
Hey Jeremy, I finally got out to the range to burn up some of the ammo you loaded up for me. Nice work! While I still think my shooting is not 100% consistent and likely the at least part of the reason for the variability in group size I managed 17 out of 19 groups sub MOA and the 2 that were > 1" were with the 70gr Speer SP load that shot consistently mediocre. I definitely have some places to start with my reloading.

Results for the day:

55gr Vmax H322 - 0.51, 0.35, 0.40, 0.87, 0.93, 0.75 - AVG 0.63

55gr Vmax Benchmark - 0.86, 0.44, 0.21, 0.75 - AVG 0.57

52gr SMK Benchmark - 0.70, 0.45, 0.90 - AVG 0.68

52gr SMK H322 - 0.62, 0.73, 0.63 - AVG 0.66

70gr Speer SP Benchmark - 1.55, 1.10, 0.91 - AVG 1.19

One thing that is slightly frustrating is the variation in group size for the same load. I'm blaming this mostly on me. I still struggle a bit to do everything exactly the same every time and maintaining concentration throughout a couple hour range session isn't always easy. Most of the sub 0.5" groups were shot fairly close together after I felt like I was "warmed up" and "in the zone" and before it started raining pretty hard (shooting from a covered bench, but the rain in my scope was a bit distracting along with fogging up glasses) and my concentration started to wane. Consistently shooting tiny groups is harder than it looks, but it sure is fun!

Best group of the day also happens to be the best group I've ever shot...
c75d6823-c132-4f31-8222-b6fee4f1521a_zps052d40d0.jpg
"Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
-DoctorWho

Replies

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Top notch. What rifle?
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,786 Senior Member
    Good group! Your rifle seems to like that one.

Suggestion: Shoot a couple of groups and then get up and stretch your muscles a little. Sitting at the bench for a long period can induce muscle fatigue that will cause the groups to open up. Same for the ol' eyeballs. Give them a rest now and again. Eyestrain does nothing good to groups. :up:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Excellent!
    Personal bests are always good times:up:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    Looking good!
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,587 Senior Member
    Top notch. What rifle?

Savage 11VT .223
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    Remember that those were only midrange loads just slightly longer than book COAL. There is still plenty of room to squeeze out some more accuracy-- especially now that they are fireformed in your chamber. It appears that your rifle likes 55gr. Vmax. Most .223's do.
    Yeah, a bit frustrated I had a box of 55gr vmaxes in my hand earlier and ended up putting it down and going with the 52smk, 60 gr vmax and 75 gr Amax to go with the 69gr smks I already have. Lots of stuff to try, should keep me busy for a while!
    -DoctorWho
    Just be sure to copy those recipes down in your load book so you can come back to them later. A known 1/2" load is always a good thing.
    Definitely!
    -DoctorWho
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Looking good!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    cpj wrote: »
    For light 223 bullets, I have found there really is no beating the Vmax.

:up:
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    Nice shooting! Looks like you got some better targets, that's gotta help.
    Seems like that rifle likes a variety of loads, that's awesome.
    What was the twist? I forget.
    jbohio wrote: »
    Nice shooting! Looks like you got some better targets, that's gotta help.
    Seems like that rifle likes a variety of loads, that's awesome.

Yeah looks like it's not too picky. I was also shooting off the bipod this time which seems to help as well. New glass is definitely in order though. Those big crosshairs make it hard to "aim small".

I was looking at maybe this when I can get some more cash in the gun fund:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/sightron-sii-4-16x42mm-riflescopes-sii416x42.html

I know a lot of people around here like their Sightrons. It'd probably go on the CZ and the Redfield revenge 6-18x would get swapped onto the savage.
    -DoctorWho
    Zee wrote: »
    What was the twist? I forget.

1:9
    -DoctorWho
    1:9

:up:
    Those big crosshairs make it hard to "aim small".

I was looking at maybe this when I can get some more cash in the gun fund:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/sightron-sii-4-16x42mm-riflescopes-sii416x42.html
    The crosshairs on that one are 1/8" @100 yards vs. yours that is 1/2" @100. It should help quite a bit. I think my next step would be to take the 52gr SMK's that you do have on hand, grab some Benchmark, and CCI BR4's, use neck sized only brass and run that bullet just off the lands while playing with the charge up or down a bit. I am betting that you will have a consistent 1/4" load if you do your part.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I am betting that you will have a consistent 1/4" load if you do your part.
    ...and if it doesn't, switch to the 55gr Vmax's next, with the best charge that worked with the SMK's.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    Savage rifles sure can shoot for the most part right outta the box, good shootin :guns::guns:

And see reloads from other shooters you TRUST are OK to use, especially some handcrafted from the Jerms load bench:up:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 708 Senior Member
    How many grains od H322 were in those loads? I have several pounds of H322 to use up soon.
    How many grains od H322 were in those loads? I have several pounds of H322 to use up soon.

according to the notes the vmax loads were 21.9 and the SMK were 22.5 gr
    -DoctorWho
    Till you get a finer crosshairs, think out side the box. Rather, think ABOUT the box.

Get a 3-4 inch square to use as your target. Line up the crosshairs in the corner of said square. It's very simple to get the exact same hold by having two points of reference, the horizontal and the verticle.

It's a trick that poor folks (me) use to overcome a cruddy scope.

Yeah, my range seems to stock either circle or diamond targets. I tried using the diamonds sortof like a square method you're talking about, but that didn't seem to work as well with a couple of the .90ish groups shot that way. Not nearly repeatable enough. Lining up in the center of the diamond seemed to work best, but still a long way from perfect.
    -DoctorWho
    Yeah, my range seems to stock either circle or diamond targets. I tried using the diamonds sortof like a square method you're talking about, but that didn't seem to work as well with a couple of the .90ish groups shot that way. Not nearly repeatable enough. Lining up in the center of the diamond seemed to work best, but still a long way from perfect.

This is how I shoot. If you will notice most of my targets. I take a "square" paster of .5-1" (depending on scope) and turn them into a diamond. Then, I use the corners to confirm consistent center.

IMG_0955.jpg

Regardless of where the rounds impact, I continue to utilize the corners to center my crosshairs in the middle of the paster. The lines of the crosshairs intersect the points of the paster corners..............pull the trigger.
    That's how I was using the diamond sight in targets with the crosshairs centered using the points of the diamond. Seemed to work fairly well.
    -DoctorWho
    If the diamond is too big, you will spend too much time bouncing your eyes around between corners, crosshairs, and center. The will break your concentration and not be a precise an aiming point.

I want a diamond just large enough to fit in the cross of my reticle. Just enough extra to tell I'm centered.

Basically, I want to shoot at small targets. Sometimes, I even cut 1/4" diamonds and shoot at them.
    You just don't like diamonds because that cost you money.

:-)
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    I don't like diamonds. Too hard for me to keep lineup. You are focusing on 4 corners at once. With the square, just one corner. And I use blue squares for better contrast with black crosshairs.

Me too. I have some that have a bold L shape on them, they work pretty well for me.

Honestly, I usually do the best shooting at a piece of cardboard that I draw 2"x2" cross on with a ruler and a marker.
    When the cross disappears, let it fly.