Side effect of the drought here in Colorado

LinefinderLinefinder ModeratorPosts: 4,440 Senior Member
I didn't really expect to draw an elk tag for the area I put in for, so that came as no surprise.

I figured I had a pretty good chance at a doe antelope tag in the area I always hunt in. If I didn't draw, no problem, they usually have 300+ leftover tags for that area.

Well....I didn't draw. So, I checked the online stats to see how many leftover tags they had for that area. Zero...zip....nada. Turned out, they only issued 300 tags for that area this year (usually it's 650+) and they all got drawn. Apparently herd numbers are severely down.

The "leftover" tag list for Colorado is usually dozens of pages long. Not this year. Only about six pages for all species combined.

I guess the only thing I'll be hunting this year is rabbits and biscuits.

I hope a pressure cooker makes jackrabbit edible.

Mike
Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
KSU Firefighter

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,482 Senior Member
    I checked the leftover tag page this morning, too, Mike. It didn't look good. However, we have been getting some rain lately, so maybe the drought is starting to lose its grip. I know that we can sure use the rain.

[edit]

Mike, check your PM.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    That stinks fellas, sorry to hear it. We don't have the draw thing here except for some real choice AGFC owned or managed lands. or a few military bases and a few federal refuges, but even those last two are like special hunts but are otherwise open to bow or small game hunting.

You can apply for an Elk tag here but it's a million to one shot and no preference point system. I haven't hunted CO in 10 or 12 years. We always put preference point as 1st choice and always drew our second choice, which was first rifle, for Elk. In 1991 I bought my Mule Deer license over the counter, no biggie, even as a non-resident.
    I guess things have changed.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,482 Senior Member
    Razorbacker,

there are still game management units (GMUs) that offer over the counter (OTC) bull elk tags. These GMUs have a lot of public land, but also have a lot of hunting pressure. The success rate is usually about 20% or less in these areas.

As far as I can tell, all deer hunting is by draw. However, there are a LOT of leftover whitetail only tags available for some of the eastern counties. Most of that is private land, which makes the rub finding a landowner who has deer and will let you hunt.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Razorbacker,

there are still game management units (GMUs) that offer over the counter (OTC) bull elk tags. These GMUs have a lot of public land, but also have a lot of hunting pressure. The success rate is usually about 20% or less in these areas.

As far as I can tell, all deer hunting is by draw. However, there are a LOT of leftover whitetail only tags available for some of the eastern counties. Most of that is private land, which makes the rub finding a landowner who has deer and will let you hunt.

Well, as I say, things have changed. I can't remember what unit we put in for but 12 sticks in my mind. It was some where between Craig and Rifle. But once I hunted the dark timber of the Flat Tops Wilderness area. I used to go every year, then I got sick. Then Fitch, who had all the outfitter type gear, plus the Mules, died of Cancer and our group kinda disbanded.
    But I would love to take my wife on a hunt out West, sometime, somewhere.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    The only elk I've ever killed was on a hunt with Jerry in the Flattops in '07. Why in the heck they call it the Flattops is beyond this boy's comprehension. It's anything but, and that's some rough as a cob country.

Before we went, Jerry told me that while it took only six hours to drive there, the last hour and a half of it was the final three miles. He wasn't kidding. I was in the passenger seat of Jerry's truck and at one point, looking as close to straight down as I could through the passenger window, I couldn't see ground....except that 1K feet below us. And, at the exact same time, we were on a pretty severe hump, and you couldn't see over the hood. I asked Jerry if he could see the road, and he said, "No, but I know it's somewhere in front of us".:yikes:

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    Linefinder wrote: »
    The only elk I've ever killed was on a hunt with Jerry in the Flattops in '07. Why in the heck they call it the Flattops is beyond this boy's comprehension. It's anything but, and that's some rough as a cob country.

Before we went, Jerry told me that while it took only six hours to drive there, the last hour and a half of it was the final three miles. He wasn't kidding. I was in the passenger seat of Jerry's truck and at one point, looking as close to straight down as I could through the passenger window, I couldn't see ground....except that 1K feet below us. And, at the exact same time, we were on a pretty severe hump, and you couldn't see over the hood. I asked Jerry if he could see the road, and he said, "No, but I know it's somewhere in front of us".:yikes:

Mike

I feel your pain, I only hunted there that one time. We rented horses from Sendero Ranch. Had to exchange a few rodeo prone head. And man could I tell trailhead rodeo stories. Anyway, if you climb high enough you'd see why they call it the Flat Tops. On my way hiking up to what they call " up on top" I saw Elk tracks where they were running. Where as I had my rifle slung and was on my belly grabbing at branches and staubs.
    Anyway, it was the most challenging hunt I've ever experienced and I never came close to busting a cap.
    Whereas a guy killed a dandy bull just over the hump from the trailhead. Paid a dude to quarter it and pack it out and went home early. Elk are like Gold, they're where you find them.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    There's leftovers for 54! Grab a condo, hunt em up!
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Drought schmout........551 is west slope and runs from Monarch Pass to darn near Gunnison........so this year's freezer filler is still running around out there until I find her.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Sorry about the tags. Will you hunt any other state this year, like Louisiana?