9/11 range day- tried the El Presidente

shawn1172shawn1172 Senior MemberPosts: 588 Senior Member
I have my own tradition of going shooting on 9/11 so I took a break from football today to run some drills with the 1911 Combat Commander. Thought it a fitting weapon for the day. A couple months ago I read in American Rifleman about practice drills I wanted to try.

First was the "Dot Drill"- at 7 yards from the target, draw from a concealed holster and fire a single shot at a 2" dot. For working on gun presentation, sight alignment and trigger control. Supposed to be done with 3 targets, each with 6 dots. Goal is to hit each dot with a single shot. That turned out to be harder than I thought. I kept trying to go too fast when I should have taken my time to have a smooth draw and accurate shot. Couldn't help trying to go fast and ended up missing a lot. Did this one 48 times.

Then the "El Presidente". I got the details a bit wrong as I was working on memory of something I read a while ago. What you're supposed to do- 3 silhouette targets spaced 5 feet apart. Middle target 3 yards away, one side 5 yards, the other side 7 yards. Draw from a concealed holster and fire 2 shots into each target's kill zone, move lateraly 10 feet to cover, reload, engage targets again with 2 shots each.
I mixed it up a bit and had the middle target at 10 yards, left at 5 yards and right target at 7. Otherwise, it was the same. Except there wasn't any actual cover to use, I just moved 10 feet, reloaded and fired again.

That was fun! And I did better than the dot drill. I did this drill 8 times, 96 rounds. Most of my shots hit the 9 ring, got 9 in the 10 ring, several in the 8 ring and just a few out in the 7. I tried to go as fast as I could while maintaining reasonable accuracy. I was there alone so nobody there to watch my form or time me. But I did time myself on the last one, just checking the second hand on my watch. 22 seconds. Not exactly SWAT team speed but I thought not bad for a beginner. It did feel faster than that. I'd like to get that down to 12 seconds with all hits in the kill zone.

Back to watching football and drinking beer now. For a 9/11, it's been a pretty good day.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Sounds like a good day, now if the cowboys win.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 780 Senior Member
    Sounds like some good practice. Keep it up!!
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Sounds like a good day, now if the cowboys win.

I feel overtime coming on!
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    shawn1172 wrote: »
    I feel overtime coming on!

Or not... Jets just made a 50 yard field goal. 27 seconds left.

slight thread derail.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I never did that exercise, I did get to try one the FBI had cooked up, it included a leap that caused my S&W M-10, I had not secured it properly, to fly out of its holster, and I lost time recovering it.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    We do "El Presidente" sometimes on IPSC matches, here we place 3 IPSC targets, side by side 15-20 yards away, you start with your back to the targets, holstered handgun with a round in the chamber and in the "surrender" position, your arms over your shoulders, when the timer beeps you turn and face the targets, put 2 rounds on each, reload and place 2 more rounds on each.

Think the record for doing this belongs to Todd Jarret, under 4 seconds with the targets a lot closer, still not too shabby for 12 rounds under those circumstances, best I seen a local guy farther out do is about 6 seconds and change, my best time is just under 10 seconds.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,248 Senior Member
    Jeff Cooper denied ever making El Presidente, though he said he would like to be able to. I don't know about the Dirty Sanchez, aka the Filthy Sanchez.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • swetilyswetily Banned Posts: 35 Member
    el prez is supposed to be 10 yds, with 3 yds between targets, edge to edge. that wide of a "spread" slows things down considerably. A top hand can do this, all nice chest hits, using a realistic ccw gear, in well under 7 seconds, if his load is a 9mm, or a wussy .45 reload. That's still WAY too long to be exposed to enemy fire, just standing there like a dummy. The typical cop cant do this, including the reload, ccw gear, in less than 12 seconds. :-) Without time being a factor, drills are pointless. If you haave all day, why not just walk up and brain them, eh? Or flee, avoiding the days lost to court, jail, paying the bondsman and the lawyers, etc.