Home Main Category Personal Defense

Night sight replacement.........this is gonna get expensive real quick!

5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior MemberPosts: 3,923 Senior Member
Talking with MHS last night made me realize something..........it's been over ten years and it's time to replace all my night sights. The G23 sports an XS big-dot, the 870 sports an XS front sight, the G20 has brand unknown 3-dot (hate those). I like the Heine straight 8 and XS types, but if I had my way, the perfect night sight would mimic Glock's ball-in-the-box.
God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!

Replies

• 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    I'm seeing a lot of looks, and nobody has anything to say about it? Nobody has an opinion? I'm not trying to be an attention-whore........but seriously.....nobody in a personal defense category on a gun forum has any insights or comments? It's not like I have the perfect solutions, but have done my homework the first time around and chose what's best for me......your collective advice is invaluable and I appreciate every one of you for your thoughts..........but seriously, if it was a problem with me then I would've gotten a PM by now don'tcha think?

I'm sitting around the campfire here thinking......where the heck are you?
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,008 Senior Member
    Hiding in the closet at night
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Hiding in the closet at night

That's my plan if a booger ever tries to get me at night.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I don't worry about my night sights; if any of them start to fade I'll start to think about replacement. But my oldest set is at least fifteen years old and still bright.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,561 Senior Member
    Give MHS your money and let him spend it with the employee discount:tooth:
    Actually, WHY haven't you bought a new GUN yet?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Tritium has a half life of 12.3 years. You are talking tritium sights, aren't you? Seems that if those sights are tritium then you're jumping the gun, as it were, replacing them.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    HMMMM. On the darkest, moonless, starless night, it still isn't so dark that I can't see clearly anything I need to at self-defense distances. Besides, if I can't see the bad guy a car length away, then he can't see me either, so what's the problem? And at night my home is always dimly lit by a bunch of well placed 4 watt night lights - more than bright enough to determine whether the person going bump in the night is me, or someone uninvited. Motion sensor lights cover the grounds. Just in case, Juliet, Queen of Dogs, Goddess Of The Hunt & Companion To The Heroes goes from a sound sleep to Defcon1 in a nanosecond.

I have no earthly idea what in the world I would do with night sights. And the very last thing I would spend dollar one on is replacing them on a weapon that came with them. What does anyone really do with these expensive baubles?
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    I had a brief love affair with XS Big Dots, for me though, the benefits were more "perceived" than actual.

I knew going in that I was going to lose precision at range, but I was willing to give that up for an increase in speed up close. I was okay with this, until I actually went up against a timer with my 19 with Big Dots and a 17 with standard sights. I wasn't actually any faster with the BD's and as previously stated, much worse at distance.

I think I've settled on my "The Sight Set". Personally, I don't like anything on the rear sight and I like a VERY attention grabbing front sight, the combo that I've settled on is a 10-8 Performance .156 rear U-Notch for the rear and an AmeriGlo Orange ProGlo .220 for the front.

I've got this setup on both my Glock 19 and Glock 17, and I'll eventually put a set on my Glock 34 (it's currently running a set of Warren/Sevigny Tactical, with the fiber optic front).

The fluorescent orange ring around the Tritium vial in the AmeriGlo sight is quite bright even in a dim room, and in the sunlight is so bright it appears to be electronic. How well this setup will translate to other platforms, I don't know, but the POA/POI on my Glocks are dead on.

Aegis028.jpg

Aegis032.jpg
    horselips wrote: »
    HMMMM. On the darkest, moonless, starless night, it still isn't so dark that I can't see clearly anything I need to at self-defense distances. Besides, if I can't see the bad guy a car length away, then he can't see me either, so what's the problem?

Most folks know better, but for the lurkers, or the new folks to the shooting community that are looking for advice, the above quote is incorrect, do not follow this advice.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,008 Senior Member
    HMMMM. On the darkest, moonless, starless night, it still isn't so dark that I can't see clearly anything I need to at self-defense distances. Besides, if I can't see the bad guy a car length away, then he can't see me either, so what's the problem? And at night my home is always dimly lit by a bunch of well placed 4 watt night lights - more than bright enough to determine whether the person going bump in the night is me, or someone uninvited. Motion sensor lights cover the grounds. Just in case, Juliet, Queen of Dogs, Goddess Of The Hunt & Companion To The Heroes goes from a sound sleep to Defcon1 in a nanosecond.

I have no earthly idea what in the world I would do with night sights. And the very last thing I would spend dollar one on is replacing them on a weapon that came with them. What does anyone really do with these expensive baubles?
    Do you have night blindness?
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,814 Senior Member
    If you want responses, you might've slid a question into your original post. Reads more like a news report.

I hate both the Heine / Sig pattern (no good reference for elevation) and the XS big dots (too freaking huge, and I want a SQUARE front post), so I'm afraid I can't help you much. Three dots would be my preference. If different colors are your thing, red in back, green in front.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Thinking about it, you're right Bigslug, I didn't post as a question......but know how opinionated this group of fellows is....I've made an -u-me-some that there'd be some thoughts.......much happier now.
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Give MHS your money and let him spend it with the employee discount:tooth:
    Actually, WHY haven't you bought a new GUN yet?

You evil man you!!!! :tooth: We've discussed this and Gander is not good for accessories..........as for a new gun.......I've got every caliber and use taken care of.

The only gun yet to acquire is an 1873 SAA Colt in .45 Colt..........and just because I think every growing boy should have a classic in their collection.........but we're talking in the 4 figure range.....and unfortunately, I don't have that much coin and the best man to go to for this is Rich Wyatt......I've already sold my soul to the Devil.........no need to go two-steppin' on my own grave.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,131 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    I don't worry about my night sights; if any of them start to fade I'll start to think about replacement. But my oldest set is at least fifteen years old and still bright.

What he said.

If it ain't broke, don't jack with it.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    tennmike wrote: »
    Tritium has a half life of 12.3 years. You are talking tritium sights, aren't you? Seems that if those sights are tritium then you're jumping the gun, as it were, replacing them.

Time degradation Mike.......the tritium still glows......just not as bright anymore, and we are closely approaching the half-life of usefullness. Then again, it could just be age catching up I need to eat more carrots! :tooth:
    Zee wrote: »
    What he said.

If it ain't broke, don't jack with it.

You suck as an Enabler........:jester:
    What does anyone really do with these expensive baubles?

See my sights at night.

How anyone with such a track record of "Stupid".......ever made it to your age...........is quite beyond me. I don't think I've seen an intelligent thought in any of your posts since you joined the forum.

You Sir, are a walking miracle.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Time degradation Mike.......the tritium still glows......just not as bright anymore, and we are closely approaching the half-life of usefullness. Then again, it could just be age catching up I need to eat more carrots! :tooth:

The tritium sights on my S&W 4566 are more than 15 y.o. and are still more than bright enough to see in low light/no light. Eat more carrots! :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Contrary to what Bigslug and Eli have to say, I really like the XS Big Dot sight. But, I like it on short barreled guns like my 340 M&P, Sig 239, and G36. A sub-compact I don't plan on shooting 50 yards with but want to acquire quickly. They work fine at 25, anyway.
    Contrary to what Bigslug and Eli have to say, I really like the XS Big Dot sight. But, I like it on short barreled guns like my 340 M&P, Sig 239, and G36. A sub-compact I don't plan on shooting 50 yards with but want to acquire quickly. They work fine at 25, anyway.

Hey, if it works for you, it works....and I've seen enough people making enough accurate shots with them that I'm convinced it's ME that can't use the sight, and not that the sight can't be used correctly.

The fact remains though, on a timer, I was just as fast up close with notch and post's, and at distance I was WAY faster and way more accurate with notch and post's.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Thinking about it, you're right Bigslug, I didn't post as a question......but know how opinionated this group of fellows is....I've made an -u-me-some that there'd be some thoughts.......much happier now.

You did see the price tag attached beforehand did you not ? limited life of tritium etc.. ??? So obviously you expected such, sounds more like showing off, rather than a quest for knowledge or a random complaint, Me personally, I would only have tritium sights on a go to gun(s), not everything I own....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Most folks know better, but for the lurkers, or the new folks to the shooting community that are looking for advice, the above quote is incorrect, do not follow this advice.

Hey, all I said was that I (me, myself, nobody else, just me) had no use for night sights in the world I spend 99% of my time in. I'm fine with the rest of the world needing and using them. Enjoy.
    Horse, I'm not trying to be a dick, I swear, but most of your comments regarding self defense sound like either a 90 year old who still thinks that the revolver is the pinnacle of firearms technology, or a 12 year old who's played way too many video games.

The common thread in all of your comments, is that for some reason you think that you KNOW what will happen in a self defense encounter. I assure you, you've no freaking clue. Don't get me wrong, I don't know either......people who've been in those situations (some on this board, and some multiple times) will tell you the same thing. They might be quicker to react to the situation than someone who hasn't been through it before (me), but they still don't know for certain how it's going to play out. This has nothing to do with their "world of 99%", and everything to do with the fact that we are the good guys and as a result, we don't get to decide when or how the s#!t goes bad........that's entirely up to the other guys.

Real life anecdote time: Yesterday, a person that is near and dear to me was involved in a situation that could've ended with me going to their funeral. This person, in the past, has expressed a mild interest in some aspects of self defense, but never really shown any serious interest. The person that I care about caught someone trying to break into their car, the bad guy was about 50 feet away before they actually realized what had gone down (they thought that they had accidentally pressed the panic button on their key fob). They were standing in the middle of the parking lot of a medical facility in broad daylight with dozens of witnesses about a hundred feet away. When they realized what had happened, they saw the "bad guy" standing in the street looking at them, they asked the BG "Hey, did you try to break into my car?", at which point the BG proceeded to pull a gun out of their pocket, and point it at my loved one. My loved one took cover behind a tree, and the BG very calmly very slowly walked back down the road and into the 'hood', all the while pointing his pistol at both my loved one and some of the witnesses that had come out to, I don't know....help, observe, get a better look at the guy?.......when the BG got into some trees on the edge of the 'hood', he fired three shots (possibly into the ground) and disappeared.

Now, would night sights have helped in that situation? No, it was broad freakin daylight. More importantly though, my loved one (to whom I've talked to regarding self defense matters in the past), never in a MILLION YEARS would have suspected that while standing in front of a dozen witnesses in broad daylight in the parking lot of a very nice medical facility, some piece of crap hood rat might put an end to their life.

All of this to say, it's never going to be what you think it's going to be......it will always be on the BG's terms.....that's just the way the whole good guy/bad guy thing works out.
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    You did see the price tag attached beforehand did you not ? limited life of tritium etc.. ??? So obviously you expected such, sounds more like showing off, rather than a quest for knowledge or a random complaint, Me personally, I would only have tritium sights on a go to gun(s), not everything I own....

Not showing off in the least Doc...........it was more of a general comment about the need to replace thing's that wear down or out over time. I've realized that it's getting to be that time and good night sights are not cheap. These are my "go to" guns........one "urban" handgun, one HD shotgun, and one "field" handgun........hardly showing off I think, I have quite a few other pistol, shotguns, and rifles that don't have night sights......The only reason I didn't mention the Sig 229 is 'cause I put TFO sights on that one from Knitepoet's recommendations......and they're only 5 yrs old from purchase. My "field" gun, a G20, came with the sights so I have no idea how old they are.

I see no need to beat you up about this, so I will answer with respect and insight from experience.

I've been in a desert at night, and incredible as it is......there's been some nights you wouldn't know your hand was in front of your face.......desert's can be funny like that......so can hunting in the mountains, I'll get to that in a bit. I illuminate my house the same way as you've described, for the same purposes.

When it comes to the 10mm I carry while hunting.....it replaced the heavier SRH .44 mag......still carried cross-draw 'cause when you have to go into a fetal position to protect your guts from getting ripped out, it's easier to reach a handgun in that position. Sometimes we have to walk out in the dark after hunting elk all day, and my brother and I have been stalked by mountain lions......now he's informed me that there are wolves in our hunting area even if CPW won't admit it.........they've been spotted by family that scouts the area during the off season.

Now I will usually use a flashlight in conjunction with a handgun because what is one of the basic rules? "know your target and what is behind it". Using the classic cross-armed technique, the big white dot of an XS stands out like a Las Vegas billboard. In the event of having to draw while outside my home and there's no time to pull or use a flashlight, you have to revert to instinctive point-n-shoot.

However, in both cases, you still need to align the handgun to accurately hit what you're shooting at to make your shot effective enough to save your bacon........and this is why I don't like the 3 dot system. It's too easy to get misaligned under stress........Tritium comes in one color....green, and fiber-optics need enough ambient light to be seen.

I've been a night owl pretty much my entire life so far.......my night vision is still pretty fair above the normal person. Have a good reference point on a firearm doesn't seem superfluous when the situation dictates use of illumination would become a tactical error.
    All of this to say, it's never going to be what you think it's going to be......it will always be on the BG's terms.....that's just the way the whole good guy/bad guy thing works out.

At which point, we swiftly and decisively show them the error of their ways. One round after another.
    At which point, we swiftly and decisively show them the error of their ways. One round after another.

Yup, which is infinitely more difficult to accomplish if it's dark, and you're using an NAA .22mag, with standard sights.

That's just your OCD kicking in.......:wink:
    Yup, which is infinitely more difficult to accomplish if it's dark, and you're using an NAA .22mag, with standard sights.

Infinitely.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,692 Senior Member

Random Acts of Violence must be countered with Specific Acts of Accuracy.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov