Home Main Category Hunting

Do you have a level on your scope or base?

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberPosts: 7,464 Senior Member
How many here have a level mounted on their gun?
Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    Never have before, but might need one on my AR. I used a scope leveler and know the scope is level with the gun. When I look thru the scope like I'm shooting, the scope looks tilted. I must be holding it tilted...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    How many here have a level mounted on their gun?

On my two precision rifles....Yes...especially handy for shooting off a field expedient rest like my backpack.... given the already considerable weight, the bubble levels were negligible...
    on the stalking rifles,...no...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    No, but I definitely want to get one of those tools that level your cross hairs perpendicular to the ground and in line with the up an down lines of your rifle, in other words square with the rifle. It has to help accuracy. There are a few tools I'd like to have. 1) this level tool, 2) a good bore sighting tool, 3) a torque screw driver, and 4) a good ring alignment tool. As much as I play musical scopes, I need to be able to swap a scope off one rifle and onto another and go to the range and my rifle be on paper. It would pay me in ammo used to sight in alone. You might think that it's good practice to sight in a rifle, but not really. Chasing bullet holes around the paper or getting them on the paper in the first place does very little for my skill level. I think all of us would get more good out of shooting a sighted rifle than trying to find the target.

As for having a level on your rifle, I think that is a function of your practice and skill of shouldering your rifle square with your body that is more important if you get what I'm talking about.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,464 Senior Member
    I use a level in mounting my scope, but I also have a level on almost all of my guns set-up for precision shooting.
    Canting will cause you to shoot either low/left or low/right.
    At most hunting distances a cant won't cause you a miss or even a wounded animal, but as distance increases it begins to show its ugly head quickly.
    Most of us automatically line up with the target or animal we are shooting-not good. Most of the time they are not level.

A way to confirm if your scope is true is to take large piece of butcher paper, level it on the backer, with horizontal lines being true vertically and horizontally from the 100 yard bulls-eye. Have the bull lower on the paper. Shoot 3-5 five shots. Now dial two full revolutions up or the equivalent of 30 inches high. Now shoot another 3-5 shot group at the 100 yard bull again. If your scope is not true the shots will veer either to the right or left.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I can see your point Ernie, I just never thought about a level on the rifle. But for long range I guess it could make a big difference
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Another term to describing how to make sure your scope is set-up correctly/true: Reticle Perpendicularity
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • deadeyedeadeye Member Posts: 73 Member
    Getting your rifle level in the sand bags and hanging a chalk line on a plumb bob at a 100 yards is a good way to align the cross hairs good and square as well.
    No Need To Run, You Will Only Die Tired
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    I use one on a benchrest .22. In the field I do not.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Nope ... maybe that's why I can't shoot that well anymore ... I thought it was my eyes but maybe it's I'm starting to lean :jester:

I do run the test to level the cross hairs perpendicular when mounting the scope but after that I eyeball it on the bags for range sessions. I guess I might try one to see if it helps or do I need new contact lenses.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Nope ... maybe that's why I can't shoot that well anymore ... I thought it was my eyes but maybe it's I'm starting to lean :jester:

I do run the test to level the cross hairs perpendicular when mounting the scope but after that I eyeball it on the bags for range sessions. I guess I might try one to see if it helps or do I need new contact lenses.

Keep in mind guys, this little doo-dad has nothing to do with mounting a scope...it's to ensure you are not canting your rifle i AFTER you have properly mounted your scope...which really should include making sure the thing is level...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Keep in mind guys, this little doo-dad has nothing to do with mounting a scope...it's to ensure you are not canting your rifle i AFTER you have properly mounted your scope...which really should include making sure the thing is level...

Yes, well put but on my spot and stalk rifles I don't have one nor do I need one on them.
    See the level just in front of the front ring:
    IMG_6671.jpg
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Here is a link to a short article on getting your reticle perpendicular:
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/reticle-perpendicularity.php
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Another term to describing how to make sure your scope is set-up correctly/true: Reticle Perpendicularity

Yeah, those are the words I was looking for! LOL!!! Anyway, at least you were smart enough to figure out what I was trying to say even if I didn't know how to say it, hahaha!
    Darn Ernie, you're the kind of guy that can make somebody like me part with MORE money. OK if you have a tool that tells you when your horizontal retical is perpendicular to the earth, you still don't know if your rifle is also. But if you also have this level on your rifle, then you just need to put your rifle in a rifle vice, level the whole thing, then level the scope to that. I guess I'm going to have to put a level on my rifle. But where, how do you do it? So now that you started this mess, tell me how? Examples, illustrations, etc.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    Yes. most external and some are internally mounted in the scope.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    I'm with you Jayhawker, we're on the same page here. But I think now if you have a level more permanently mounted on the rifle such as this example of the level that is mounted on the rings, you can use the permanently mounted level not only to insure you aren't canting the rifle, but to insure that the scope is true to the rifle, and then you can insure that the scope is mounted level and perpendicular to the rifle itself. Then you know your scope is perpendicular to the lines of the rifle and not canted.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    I have one now I'm running tests on. So far, it's a real winner. There may be several more in my future.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,251 Senior Member
    I have levels in the globe sights of several of my target rifles. They do help add a little consistency.

On scopes, I don't think they're all that essential. Once you get the scope square to the gun, the crosshairs do a pretty good job of interfacing with the inner ear to tell me what's plumb and what's not.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Shot 700 to 1,000 yards today and spent a lot of time on the range testing some new gear. It was amazing how often I was off on level with the rifle. Not a lot, mind you, but I'd line the scope up and check the level. Would find that I was cocked one way or the other just slightly. Did it help? Well, using it and some other new toys, I can say I didn't miss a single steel today. So, it sure didn't hurt. I like them. If for no other reason than the little bit of extra refinement. I'm sold on them. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    I have one on my .204 .Check it out on My Albums. I made it for hardly any thing...
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    a level for the scope came with my boresighter, levels gun before scope is mounted, then levels scope after mounting....