Home Main Category General Firearms

So... What's wrong with a .270?

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,392 Senior Member
    Zorba, by now you've probably figured out why the 270 bashing.

There are some forum members FIRMLY in the O'Connor "camp" that used to get all defensive and "butt hurt" ANY time someone didn't think the 270 was the "be all end all".

If you look back towards the first pages of this forum iteration, you'll see where most of us that now "bash" the 270 have said it's a fine round, and if you put a 270 bullet in the right place it will kill what you're shooting at, just like the 30-06, 280 Rem fed, 7-08. It's not a death ray.

My only HONEST gripe with the 270 is the lack of .277" match grade bullets. Sure you might find a FEW but compared to it's two closest diameters {.264 (6.5mm) and .284 (7mm)} There aren't NEARLY as many.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Hey, they'd better not quit making .270 brass- - - - -it's the easiest way I know to make the ammo I need for my 6.5-06. Necking down from .277 to .264 and filing a little off the case length is a lot simpler than squeezing the brass all the way down from .308!
    Jerry
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,514 Senior Member
    See, there's something actually useful to do with .270 brass.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zorba, check your IM in-box please ;)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

ubhiM.jpg

"All Non-Hackers shoot .270 Winchesters!"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,252 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »

It's not a death ray.

You better take that back.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,591 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »

Mike
    :spittingcoffee:

Where you been, stranger?
    jbohio wrote: »
    :spittingcoffee:

Where you been, stranger?

Sittin' here watchin' this thread through the telescopic sight atop my .270.

If I didn't need this monitor for other things, I'd settle this right here and now once and for all.

Mike
    N454casull

Mike
    What's wrong with the .270 Winchester?

-Nothing, except the people who shoot them.
    You can get in line behind Paul. Or beside him. I don't care.

Mike
    N454casull
  • RimfireRimfire Senior Member Posts: 816 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with my 270......................

Felicesmummodel70047.jpg

Felicesmummodel70049.jpg

pre64model70060.jpg

pre64model70037.jpg

...............that rechambering and a new barrel in 30.06, 308 or 7mm08 wouldn't fix....................

I know I'm going to regret saying this...

I really like that wood on your rifle. Do you know what kind it is?
    G&A Forum Member since: October 2000; Life Member: GOA, IWLA, NRA, & Escapees.
    You can get in line behind Paul. Or beside him. I don't care.

Mike
    My $$'s on me and zedrick being able to take you.
    Out of necessity, I'll go "HIGH" and let Zedrick go low

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    But you did it all wrong Alec, you forgot a digit. It's 2x7x7=98

I mean if your 7=08 is 284, then mine is .277.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Ok guys, do remember its "only" an Internet forum, and its "only" bullets! Play nice now. :roll2:

Obviously, I don't have a dog in this fight - but this thread has been entertaining, and somewhat enlightening.

Any way you look at it, I wouldn't want to play catcher with a .270 round; and I don't think anyone else here would either - regardless of which "camp" they're in. Orchidman's .270 certainly is a thing of beauty, and I know beauty when I see it. ;) I'm off to read my ballistics book!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Zorba, by now you've probably figured out why the 270 bashing.

There are some forum members FIRMLY in the O'Connor "camp" that used to get all defensive and "butt hurt" ANY time someone didn't think the 270 was the "be all end all".

If you look back towards the first pages of this forum iteration, you'll see where most of us that now "bash" the 270 have said it's a fine round, and if you put a 270 bullet in the right place it will kill what you're shooting at, just like the 30-06, 280 Rem fed, 7-08. It's not a death ray.

My only HONEST gripe with the 270 is the lack of .277" match grade bullets. Sure you might find a FEW but compared to it's two closest diameters {.264 (6.5mm) and .284 (7mm)} There aren't NEARLY as many.

How often do you shoot match bullets in your 30-06 or 7mm Mauser? I never tried any match bullets in my .270 because it is NOT a match rifle. As I have said on here numerous times, it's a hunting rifle. For that matter, so is my .280 Remington. Never entertained shooting match bullets in it. It is, like my .270, a most excellent hunting rifle.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,386 Senior Member
    rapier5316 wrote: »
    Every hunting camp will sport a 270. Most families too.

I think my response to a family member showing up with a .270 would be "Son/cousin/uncle etc...? I HAVE NO son/cousin/uncle etc..."

I bash it for the simple reason that it's a dumb idea. Necking down the .30-06 is a dubious undertaking to begin with, but as long as you're going down that road, it could and should have been a 7mm, and could and should have been named the .284 Winchester (Another round took that title a few years later).

The mere existence of the round screws a few things up. Since it was the first production round/rifle on scene to offer a .30-06-based case in a roughly .28 caliber platform, it stole a lot of thunder from the PROPER version of the round - the .280 Remington. Decades later, we have a dumb round and a brilliant round, yet both tend to languish, because, just like a Republican primary, the vote gets split.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I've shot a .270 and thought it was an okay light cartridge for small game, especially at closer distances.

Back years ago when I hunted deer regularly (this was in western and central Missouri), I went even lighter and carried a nice comfy Ruger .243 Win. I'm a lefty and from ol' Bill Ruger also being lefthanded, he mandated that the firm provide lots of lefthand models at the same price.

Understand, this was hunting in very close brushland, not a lot of open territory, and for fairly small deer. The smaller animals and the close distances meant that a .243 was just fine. So while my pals were lugging these very heavy and highpowered rifles in .44mag and other large calibers, my nifty little Ruger was a lot easier to lug through the territory, shorter and lighter. And since the distances were comparatively short, like 100 yards or less, you really didn't need a long range powerful round.

I equated my .243 to the .270 as they were about the same power and weight. My .243 was quite accurate, a nice flat trajectory (for close ranges) and as they say (correctly) the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Each time I got a shot, I hit and killed a deer. Results speak for themselves.

Definitely not suitable for large game, even for large deer or for longer distances. But fine for close work on smaller game. So I'd figure the .270 as about the same. If you pick it for its intended purpose you're gonna be fine, as the rifle is lighter, ammo's cheaper, etc. If you try to hunt large game and at long distances, the fault dear Brutus lies not in the .270 but in the guy toting it.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    The last 2 years I have killed a deer with a 270, but each time had to go find it and each ran about 50 yards even though both shots hit "at the right spot". This year I am going to use a 30.06, I also have a 7 mag, but my taxidermist said "no" :(

The only way you can guarantee that a deer shot with anything won't run 50 yards is to blow up it's brain or cut the spinal cord. You can blow its heart to jelly with a .30-06 (or whatever) and still have it run a few yards. The last three whitetails I've shot (with .30-06) were hit almost exactly the same, from 50 to 118 yards, with the heart obliterated. The 50 yarder was DRT, but the other two bolted and ran 15 and 40 yards, respectively.
    The first deer I ever shot with my .308 ran about 70 yards into the brush. I walked a creek bed way back in the snakes to find it. I shot one once with my .270 that ran about 20 yards and that was in a circle. He wasn't 10 yards from Point of impact when he finally fell. The rest fell where I shot them. I did have one run away, but I was shooting at the neck. I missed the whole thing. Neck shots can be iffy if you don't put the bullet where it belongs. I had a bad case of buck fever but it was only the third deer I had ever shot at with it. That was about a hundred and some change deer ago though.
    See what I mean Zorba. I state my PERSONAL beef with the 270, and snake's got to "defend it's honor"

Let's see Mike, last deer I killed with my 30-06 caught a 155 Berger HP, current load for that rifle is with the 208gr A-Max, plan on seeing if my Garand likes 168 A-maxes. Have some 162 A-maxes I'll eventually try in my 7x57. I won't use them in my SPs because the IHMSA and ESPECIALLY the 10" TC/U can't get them moving fast enough for reliable performance. So I stick with 120s in them.

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    The only way you can guarantee that a deer shot with anything won't run 50 yards is to blow up it's brain or cut the spinal cord. You can blow its heart to jelly with a .30-06 (or whatever) and still have it run a few yards. The last three whitetails I've shot (with .30-06) were hit almost exactly the same, from 50 to 118 yards, with the heart obliterated. The 50 yarder was DRT, but the other two bolted and ran 15 and 40 yards, respectively.

I'm a big fan of the heart shot and routinely wait for it. When I can make myself be patient and the animal is not acting nervous. But whether with a gun or bow, all things being equal, a heart shot animal takes off like a scalded dog. They don't go far but they go. I think a lot of my supposedly DRT kills were probably the high lung shot. I think it stuns the spine, so they drop and then die before the shock wears off. We've all seen the soupy mess a high powered rifle bullet makes of the lungs. How they sometimes run off a little ways after that I don't know, but sometimes they do.
    The good thing about the heart shot is a blind man could follow the blood trail. But usually you see them fall anyway. Or at least I always have.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    Rimfire wrote: »
    I know I'm going to regret saying this...

I really like that wood on your rifle. Do you know what kind it is?

The only thing I know about the stock is that it is a custom stock made by Monte Kennedy......I assume it is American in origin ( the wood)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,112 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Here is how you measure the efficiency of a cartridge according to the guy that was the resident expert at my LGS ( until he got fired)..............

Take a calibre...........for this example we will use the 270. Multiply the single digits by each other...........2X7= 14. That is the power factor of the 270.

Compare it with the 308................3X8=24 The 308 has a power factor of 10 more than the 270.

7mm08....................7x8=56

30.06......................30x6=180 ( the full stop in the calibre designation indicates that the numbers before it are not single digits but one complete number ie 30 not 3 Thus you multiply by 30....)

338.........................3x3x8=72

375........................3x7x5=105 ( exceptions are if it is a proprietary calibre such as the 375 Holland & Holland Magnum which increases the power by a factor of 4 and thus the 375 H&H is rated at 420)

Try it yourself. Pick a calibre and using the above formula work out its power factor.......

( there were some other calculations to take into account like the size of the chip on the shooters shoulder but I cant remember what they are)

All this from a guy who shoots the bull with a .222?:uhm:
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Don't forget the .270 Lumbergh......it is all that is evil and unholy....but has in-flight self guidance......."yeaaaahhh.....if we could just, drift to the left...that would be greeaaat"
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    I don't think that there is anything inherently wrong with the .270 Winchester. I own two of them, a model 1500 Howa, and a #1 Ruger. I also have a wimpy .243 Winchester, a model 700 Remington BDL. The .243 has harvested 36 deer, and the Howa has harvested 4, and a 300 pound boar. Nothing yet, with the Ruger. All have fallen where they stood, except one, a whitetail, shot with the .243, that ran in a 30 yard circle and returned to near where it was shot. All shots were of home made rounds, 100 grain Nosler Partitions, for the .243 and 130 grain Barnes, all copper, bullets for the .270. I have no complaints with either, as both have preformed as they were designed to do. I have several larger calibers, but my, all time, favorite is the Lyman Great Plains Rifle, a 54 caiber flintlock............Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

"I don't think that there is anything inherently wrong with the .270 Winchester. I own two of them, a model 1500 Howa, and a #1 Ruger."

Shhhhhhhhh!!! What are you trying to do, get banished from the Kingdom?
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,454 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    How often do you shoot match bullets in your 30-06
    More often than not.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    The fishing is always good on these threads. It's a guarantee limit of Snakes.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    The fishing is always good on these threads. It's a guarantee limit of Snakes.

God love him. I consider him a friend but he falls for it every time.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    I don't think everyone had bagged out yet...
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."