Home Main Category General Firearms

So... What's wrong with a .270?

1235»

Replies

• beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    No No No, his Wife is Nancy, He's Judy...... LOL!!!

Yeah, Judy, I like that!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I thought Judy had a better ring to it.

"Carry Grant, Spelling suspect, had a line in a movie to his wife or girl friend, "Judy Judy Judy!"

Maybe some of you old movie Buffs can expand on that.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member

"Carry Grant, Spelling suspect, had a line in a movie to his wife or girl friend, "Judy Judy Judy!"

I thought that was Goober and Gomer on The Andy Griffith Show when they went huntin and one said 'Judy Judy Judy Andy We Brung our .270s ..Surprise Surprise Surprise ..Hey Andy Hey Andy Can We Shoot Now Can We Hey Andy........' :jester::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

OK here it is (Goober's Cary Grant impersonation) .....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blQrIySidOA
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Big Chief, I hurt myself reading your post as I could see Goober run in and saying it. Funny stuff man, funny!:applause: And thanks for the link, loved it!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,452 Senior Member

Actually Cary Grant never said that in a movie.

It just sounds like something he SHOULD have said.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    I haven't piped up on this thread since I only own one centerfire rifle, my Marlin 336. I have no experience with all the other calibers. But after reading the posts I feel real good about my lever gun. Using Alec's calculations my 30-30 has a power factor of 900! Time to go hunt Gozirra!!!! Okay big rizard, come get some!!!
    Carefull of the company you keep

godzilla-vs-obama.jpg
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    :spittingcoffee:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    :spittingcoffee:

ditto, that was hilarious.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    facepalm-Godzilla_zps9d76d956.jpg
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    This is just something to think about. Not trying to start any argument, just food for thought. What do you think?

The new thread about looking for 110 grain 270 rounds got me to thinking. When I first got my .270 when I was 18 years old and knowing NOTHING! about ballistics, I always thought, "Man I would love to try some of those rounds with 100 grain bullets with 3400-3500 FPS MV! Man that would reach out there!" Then I began to see how critical a bullet construction and weight is and how BC and SD played into it all, and how specialized a bullet can be on certain types of game, and also that though these lighter bullets had a fast MV they lost a lot of velocity over distance. And I have seen some deer shot with light, varmint constructed bullets. They can blow up pretty quick and sometimes on the surface which isn't usually lethal. Then you have an animal run off with a big old wound on the surface that will get infected and cause it to have an agonizing death. I remember once when I as a kid and we were hunting with my uncle up at Llano Tex on opening weekend. There were deer hunters by the hundreds coming in from the morning hunt. We went to a restaurant for breakfast after hunting. There were deer tied all over vehicles with their noses blown off, deer with the front leg missing, deer with craters in their skin from bullets blowing up.

When I talk about a .270, I visualize it as a fine round for deer size game. I never was a real proponent of it on elk size game, mainly because I usually shoot a 130 grain bullet and heavier bullets are more readily available for .30 calibers. For deer or hogs, a 130 grain bullet out of a .270 can be very effective. However, one reason for some of the 270's unpopularity with many shooters I think may have been due to the use of the wrong bullet. This can pertain to any cartridge, but if you think about it, for many years the bullet selection for a .270 was slim. But that 100 grain was almost always there, and I'm sure some people tried it, sometimes with predictable results.

I have read that this was what made the .220 Swift unpopular in the old days, because gun writers went crazy with it and said it killed like lightning. But when the masses tried it, many times it failed on larger game. Back then bullet construction wasn't what it is now and there weren't any bullets of heavier construction made in .224. So predictably the .220 Swift went down the tube for many years as a deer round. Nowadays it's proving to be a good deer and hog round with proper bullets, which they make nowadays. It's a very popular whitetail and hog round in this part of the woods, especially with a barrel with enough twist rate to stablize larger bullets.

I'm just throwing this out to see what people think. I know many of you are only joking with me, but I'm trying to be serious here as to why the .270 has gotten such a poor reputation.

And this question doesn't have to pertain to a .270, but any round that may have been misused in the past and gotten a less than stellar reputation.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.