Home Main Category Hunting

Remington 7mm Ammo question.....

Jake_f16Jake_f16 New MemberPosts: 5 New Member
I am getting ready to go hunting in Wyoming and am looking for the best ammo to shoot out of my 700BDL 7mm. I am have shot Federal premium but have been reading and looking at shooting Hornaday. Any recommendations are welcome. Thanks

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,826 Senior Member
    Hi Jake!! I'll be the first to ask, 7mm What?? I'll assume magnum, for now. Anyhow, both are excellent brands of ammo. It also depends on what you are hunting, deer or elk or both?? If elk and deer, I'd stick to a more heavily constucted bullet.
  • Jake_f16Jake_f16 New Member Posts: 5 New Member
    Big Al1,

Sorry it is a magnum and I will be hunting deer just looking for something that will make good distance with knock down power or if I have to shoot through some red brush. Thanks for your imput.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Yeah Jake, when you say 7mm it's a good idea to clarify which one specifically, because there's a bunch of em. There's the original 7mmx57 Mauser, there's the 7mm-08 Remington, the .284 Winchester, the .280 Remington, the 7mm Remington Mag., the 7mm Weatherby Mag., The 7mm Sharps and Hart, The 7mm Breneke, the 7mm STW, the 7mm Dakota, and the 7mm WSM to name a few, and these are just the factory made and/or proprietary cartridges from custom gun makers, not to mention a few wildcats such as the 7mm-06 (not to be confused with the .280, it ain't quite the same). And every one I've listed here is a good round. I no doubt forgot one or two here also. The 7mm bullet is very popular and there are many bullets available for it to the handloader and lots of options in factory ammo too.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    What kind of "distance" are you looking for?

Also, if you have to shoot through brush, you're going to have issues. Contrary to hunting lore, no bullets are good at "busting brush." More than likely the bullet will hit a tree, branch, or twig and deflect or deform (maybe both) and not go where you want it to.

Finally, knockdown power is really a mythological term. You can get good terminal performance, but nothing that'll "knock down" a deer.

Also, I'm assuming it's a 7mm Remington Magnum?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Also Jake, my dad had a 7 Rem. Mag. and he always used Remington 150 Grain Core Lokt for factory ammo and he killed many a deer with it. Some he killed at 300 Yards plus. For factory ammo in a 7mag, I don't think you can beat Remington Core Lokt.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Snake-- I know a lot of them are great guns I wasnt thinking when I put the post up my bad but I would take any of them guns. I am a huge Remington fan. I will take a look and do some reading on the core loks thanks for the advice.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,921 Senior Member
    Jake, you didn't say if you're reloading or not. I'm especially fond of the 139 grain Hornady SST in my 7mm Rem. Mag....quite the performer...
    If elk is on the menu...something with a little tougher construction is warranted...

If you're looking for factory ammo, Hornady loads sone top notch stuff...peruse Hornadys site here:
    http://www.hornady.com/store/7mm-Rem-Mag/
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker-- I will be doing factory loads I do reloads when I make it back home once in a blue moon but I am in the military and it is hard moving around to set up a room for reloading. Factory loads are on the menu and I will just be hunting whitetail and mule deer.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »

If you're looking for factory ammo, Hornady loads sone top notch stuff...peruse Hornadys site here:
    http://www.hornady.com/store/7mm-Rem-Mag/

:agree: Yes they do, good stuff, and good accuracy to boot. :beer:
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,921 Senior Member
    Jake_f16 wrote: »
    Jayhawker-- I will be doing factory loads I do reloads when I make it back home once in a blue moon but I am in the military and it is hard moving around to set up a room for reloading. Factory loads are on the menu and I will just be hunting whitetail and mule deer.

Thanks for your service Jake...For deer, I'd definitely look at the SSTs . I have killed a LOT of deer with this bullet in several different chamberings...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Hornady SST should work just fine, if they shoot well its a good choice, very fair priced. Custom or Superformance, personal choice, they're both similar in price.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • wolf049wolf049 Member Posts: 217 Member
    Jake, I would buy a couple of different brands of ammo and see what YOUR gun likes. My Ruger 77 MKII 7MM Mag hates Remingtom Cor-lok, we're talking about 2" groups or worse (100yrds) but if I feed it the Federals (plain-jane bullets), I'll get 1" - 1.5" groups. I reload and if I use 140 grain bullets, I'm doing good to get 1.5" groups. If I use the 175 grain bullets, I'll get .75" groups. All I'm trying to tell ya is that you have to find what your rifle likes. Good luck to ya Jake.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,482 Senior Member
    I would also look at the SST's, and I would consider the Accubond's as well too.
    I agree to try several different bullets/brands and find out which ones your barrel likes best.
    What part of Wyoming will you be hunting in?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Milehighshooter-- Thanks for the advice I have read and talked to a few individuals and they say they are very accuarate. Wolf049-- I think I am going to try both the Federals and the SSTs I have never had good luck with the remington bullets but was thinking of giving them a try again in case something changed. Ernie-- I will be in Lovell hoping to find a giant muley my family has been hunting that area for years and has always had great luck around there.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...to be honest, Jake, I really don't think you need to look much farther than the Federal blue box (Power-Shok) or Winchester silver box (Power Points). Personally, I tend to go w/ heavier bullets, what you loose in MV & trajectory to a 140gr. w/ a 160/ 175gr. you mor'n make up, out there where it really matters (+350yds.) w/ more delivered energy & less wind drift, but like I said, that's my opinion. Whether you're hunting the bottom around town, the benches @ the base of the Bighorns, or up on top, you're gonna have about the same chance @ a 40yd. shot in the Russian olives, jumping one in the draws, or pushing thru the heavy timber on top, as a 400yd. shot across a barley/ cornfield, across a draw, or up on a ridgeline. After all that noise, the Fusions are pretty good, & some good choices here...

http://store.thehuntingshack.com/7mm.aspx

...personal choices woulda been the 160gr. GrandSlam or 162gr. A-Max, but of course they're sold out, if your LGS carries 'em there a very good buy...