Home Main Category Hunting

todays the day

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,975 Senior Member
Loads are done, gear is checked, packing list was tripple checked. 4runner is loaded up and ready to go! Just have a half day of work then I am off to cloud country for my timberline mule deer hunt. Season opens Saturday. Got 9 days to find some bucks. My parents were up near that area this last weekend, saw bucks still in velvet, coats should still be red too. Heres to hoping i can glass out a monster :-)

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Loads are done, gear is checked, packing list was tripple checked. 4runner is loaded up and ready to go! Just have a half day of work then I am off to cloud country for my timberline mule deer hunt. Season opens Saturday. Got 9 days to find some bucks. My parents were up near that area this last weekend, saw bucks still in velvet, coats should still be red too. Heres to hoping i can glass out a monster :-)

And you are suckin' big time bro. It seems yesterday it was still August and months away from hunting seasons and here you go! HeHeHe, Good Luck Bro, I hope you do get a monster.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Good luck, be safe and take lots of pics
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Good luck. I feel a story being made.... ;) Do not shoot over a "bucket"!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,201 Senior Member
    If you put on as many miles as you did elk hunting, your going to see something, can't wait to see the pictures.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    How many points did this one take again? Sounds like a helluva unit. Best of luck to you out there! Get some great pics!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Good luck, shoot straight!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    I hope the gods of hunting smile down on you. Look forward to seeing your hunt report..................especially the pics.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    :yousuck: I'll have to settle for dove hunting in the desert in 100 degree temps.

Good luck. :up:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Shoot a good one.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    Good Luck, shoot 'em up...
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    Have fun, be safe, and fill that tag.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,139 Senior Member
    Good Luck hope we get to read a great report

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    Awaiting a plethora if pics.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Got an update from MHS texted today: "couldn't get a shot on two monster bucks.....hunted a couple OK ones to within 10 yrds.....still looking for that white faced buck......safe and fine, going back up"

Well I guess the bears ain't ate lil' bro yet and he made it to Salida for a quick dip into civilization. Pops went up with him but came back the next day....12,000 ft didn't agree with him and felt sick.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Good to hear he's safe and still at it. Hope he can pull off a successful stalk on one of those monsters out there.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member
    Mid week brewery stop, had to happen!

It is going well, I've seen some really nice bucks. I have a quirky back up buck patterned, maybe 150"...maybe, but very symmetrical, and has eye guards (not all mule deer get them). He has a huge black mole looking thing on his neck, and he has literally walked up to my car and looked in at me. Neat little buck.....he might have to die lol. The bucks are mostly still in red coats with full velvet. The old white face is already dark grey with shiny antlers, you can tell he is on the downhill of life and was once a truly magnificent beast. I really REALLY want him, ,he has character, wisdom, and history....plus he probably only has another winter or two left before he ends up dying. But, he didn't get that big/old being dumb. Haven't seen him in 2 days. He had a buddy that looked to push well past the 30" outside with his cheaters....but I want him to keep breeding. Got 5 more days, we shall see. Totally fogged in today, I couldn't see the lake from the shore, so I went to town to resupply, shower and do laundry. A bit interesting camping 100% alone now, all the other camps left. But it is great solitude. Many pics will be coming when I get home, they're all on my camera, and I'm on my phone.

Btw the brewery is great ;)
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    How many points did this one take again? Sounds like a helluva unit. Best of luck to you out there! Get some great pics!

this is only the 2nd year they've done this hunt here, but it takes 4 points. There are a few other high alt hunts that only take 2. Regardless of the outcome, I WILL be banking my points to do this hunt again
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    Mid week brewery stop, had to happen!

It is going well, I've seen some really nice bucks. I have a quirky back up buck patterned, maybe 150"...maybe, but very symmetrical, and has eye guards (not all mule deer get them). He has a huge black mole looking thing on his neck, and he has literally walked up to my car and looked in at me. Neat little buck.....he might have to die lol. The bucks are mostly still in red coats with full velvet. The old white face is already dark grey with shiny antlers, you can tell he is on the downhill of life and was once a truly magnificent beast. I really REALLY want him, ,he has character, wisdom, and history....plus he probably only has another winter or two left before he ends up dying. But, he didn't get that big/old being dumb. Haven't seen him in 2 days. He had a buddy that

looked to push well past the 30" outside with his cheaters....but I want him to keep breeding. Got 5 more days, we shall see. Totally fogged in today, I couldn't see the lake from the shore, so I went to town to resupply, shower and do laundry. A bit interesting camping 100% alone now, all the other camps left. But it is great solitude. Many pics will be coming when I get home, they're all on my camera, and I'm on my phone.

Btw the brewery is great ;)

Life is Good - Good Luck.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Good luck brother!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Regardless of the outcome, I WILL be banking my points to do this hunt again

Regardless of the outcome you've had a great hunt.......but go get the icing on the cake anyway
    this is only the 2nd year they've done this hunt here, but it takes 4 points. There are a few other high alt hunts that only take 2. Regardless of the outcome, I WILL be banking my points to do this hunt again

Well, I DO have a Colorado mulie point as of this past draw period...let me know when you're planning the next one. Hopefully, I'll have orders back to Nebraska by then and can drive out to help you scout well in advance.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    :beer:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Back home, tired, smelly, meat in the cooler. Plethora of pics to come soon. No monster but no back up either. I will get on details this weekend, right now heaven is my bed and my dog next to me. More to follow....
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    Back home, tired, smelly, meat in the cooler. Plethora of pics to come soon. No monster but no back up either. I will get on details this weekend, right now heaven is my bed and my dog next to me. More to follow....
    Congrats, looking forward to the report.

Sako
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    congrats!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,139 Senior Member
    Congratulations

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,201 Senior Member
    Good deal, sounds like a good trip.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    :up:
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Great waiting for the details.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    You can sleep when you die. We want the story.

I just hope he got one as big as your daughters