Home Main Category Hunting

His Blind Side

twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,245 Senior Member
I have no problem shooting a blind deer, I just hope he comes in front of the my stand from his blind side!

Image2.jpg

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    Interesting rack....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    He's got some bases doesn't he?
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    Nice!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Interesting he is not in velvet either
    I have a few in mind. Bow Season here starts Monday the 16th. Fighting the mosquitos and hoping for a toad to come bye.

WGI_0009.jpg
    SUNP0013.jpg
    SUNP0016.jpg
    Weatherby wrote: »
    Interesting he is not in velvet either

I thought the same thing, wonder if it has something to do with his eye?
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I love that type of rack. I hope the lack of velvet doesn't mean he's not a breeder. it would be a shame not to pass those genes on.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    I have no problem shooting a blind deer, I just hope he comes in front of the my stand from his blind side!

Image2.jpg

That is a good buck - sadly, it might not even be legal to shoot him in some counties of Texas (13" min. between the beams). I had my crosshairs on a similar one a couple years ago, and finally let him go, because his rack was not outside the plane of his ears, on alert. I could tell he was a young buck, and was afraid to gamble on the 13" rule.

Of course, you have bigger deer up there, and that is a mature buck, so he may be quite a bit over 13" - can't tell from the photo, and you can't tell in the field, either, till you actually measure him.
    I thought the same thing, wonder if it has something to do with his eye?

His rack appears to be damaged on that side as well......brow tine looks to be fouled up....
    I have a few in mind. Bow Season here starts Monday the 16th. Fighting the mosquitos and hoping for a toad to come bye.

Our bow season is the most screwed up thing ever...Who in hell would want to shoot a deer with temps in the high 90s....of course it's a long bow season as well...
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Around here some years that happens about as often as not for the first half of November, although honestly it's more like the high 80s or low 90s. There are some days though when it gets 95 or higher. Anything above 80 sucks in my opinion. That calls for ripping the hide off quick and chilling him down. I have put them in my 150 quart igloo that normally doubles as my boat seat. I lay him in there and pour about 40-60 pounds of ice on and around him and in his body cavity. I don't worry about closing the lid, I just put it in the shade. Then later when he's cooled down I cut him up and pour more ice all over the meat and close the lid. We leave it like that and add ice as needed for about 4-5 days, then finish processing the meat, bagging it and putting it in the freezer with the bags properly marked with a description of the cut and the date it was killed.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    They are nice pic
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Around here some years that happens about as often as not for the first half of November, although honestly it's more like the high 80s or low 90s. There are some days though when it gets 95 or higher. Anything above 80 sucks in my opinion. That calls for ripping the hide off quick and chilling him down. I have put them in my 150 quart igloo that normally doubles as my boat seat. I lay him in there and pour about 40-60 pounds of ice on and around him and in his body cavity. I don't worry about closing the lid, I just put it in the shade. Then later when he's cooled down I cut him up and pour more ice all over the meat and close the lid. We leave it like that and add ice as needed for about 4-5 days, then finish processing the meat, bagging it and putting it in the freezer with the bags properly marked with a description of the cut and the date it was killed.

I skin and quarter mine, get the backstrap and tenderloin, and pack it all solidly in ice, before I leave for the house. Then I haul it around in the back of my pickup till the next weekend, sloshing it around in clean ice water to leech the blood out. It makes a big difference in the quality of the meat. Also, it's the perfect temperature for butchering, when you take it out of the ice chest.
    bisley wrote: »
    I skin and quarter mine, get the backstrap and tenderloin, and pack it all solidly in ice, before I leave for the house. Then I haul it around in the back of my pickup till the next weekend, sloshing it around in clean ice water to leech the blood out. It makes a big difference in the quality of the meat. Also, it's the perfect temperature for butchering, when you take it out of the ice chest.

Good idea bisley,l will keep that in mind. I have killed quite a few early season deer and usually hang them, skin them,cut them up and put in the freezer within an hour or so from getting home with them. I like the idea of drawing some of the blood out in the cooler first.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Good idea bisley,l will keep that in mind. I have killed quite a few early season deer and usually hang them, skin them,cut them up and put in the freezer within an hour or so from getting home with them. I like the idea of drawing some of the blood out in the cooler first.

Back in the day before everybody was killing all these deer so many of us do these days. The processing houses would hang them in the cooler to age them for 2 weeks or more. Like they do with expensive aged beef. So we have to make do.
    The first deer I ever killed they even paid me for the hide. They had stacks of hides.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs