Home Main Category Hunting

Texas hog hunting question

rallykidrallykid Senior MemberPosts: 657 Senior Member
Maybe someone can answer this for me as I am not near a computer right now to look it up. Are wild hogs considered nuisance animals in Texas and for population control of them on private property would one need a hunting license? Going to be making a trip down that way in the future and the BIL's ranch has a hog problem so we were looking at having some fun and thinning the numbers while I was there.
No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.

Replies

• justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    Technically, no you don't need a license to take nuisance hogs on private property, but I pity the out of stater that tries to explain that to a warden when he finds you with a dead hog and no license. Better safe than sorry.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    rallykid wrote: »
    Maybe someone can answer this for me as I am not near a computer right now to look it up. Are wild hogs considered nuisance animals in Texas and for population control of them on private property would one need a hunting license? Going to be making a trip down that way in the future and the BIL's ranch has a hog problem so we were looking at having some fun and thinning the numbers while I was there.

I'm pretty sure you need a hunting license even though you can hunt them 24/7 day or night and no bag limit. They are definitely a pest, but the state will make money anyway they can half way justify it. Now on your own land that's a different story, you don't need a license.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member
    As with all things law related, the answer is YES and NO!

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/nonpwdpubs/media/cs_bk_k0700_284_2011_2012.pdf

"Hunting Licenses and Permits

A hunting license is required of any person, regardless of age, who hunts any animal, bird, frog or turtle in
    this state (except furbearers, if the hunter possesses a trapper’s license). No license is required for
    nuisance fur-bearing animals (see pg. 73), depredating hogs or coyotes (see below). Non-residents under
    17 years of age may purchase and hunt with the Youth Hunting License (Type 169).
    "
    That says You DON'T need a licenses.

"Exotic animal refers to grass-eating or plant-eating, single-hoofed or cloven-hoofed mammals
    that are not indigenous or native to Texas and are known as ungulates, including animals from
    the deer and antelope families that landowners have introduced into this state. Includes, but
    is not limited to feral hog, Aoudad sheep, Axis deer, Elk, Sika deer, Fallow deer, Blackbuck
    antelope, Nilgai antelope, and Russian boar.
    It is against the law to:
    Hunt an exotic without a valid hunting license."
    This says you DO need a license!

So, the best bet is to get the license, just in case you get a jerk of a game warden that still thinks you are 'hunting' even though you are whacking whole piles of hogs with an AK.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    An out of state "exotic" license doesn't cost much. IIRC the 7 day I bought back in 2001 was less than $50
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member
    It's been years back since I went hog hunting in Texas, but I did have to get an out of state liscense for it.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Yep, whatever the law says is all for naught and goes back to square one if you are an out of stater, because some game wardens will try to get you like that. They know most people don't know the law and won't fight it anyway. So they push it. But if you have the time and money and the law IS on your side, you can make him wish he had never met you.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    But if you have the time and money and the law IS on your side, you can make him wish he had never met you.

Still, it is much quicker and cheaper to just buy the license in the first place.
  • temmitemmi Member Posts: 230 Member
    justin10mm wrote: »
    Technically, no you don't need a license to take nuisance hogs on private property, but I pity the out of stater that tries to explain that to a warden when he finds you with a dead hog and no license. Better safe than sorry.

I would get one... it would make for a very bad day
  • rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    Thanks guys, I will grab one when I get down there just to be on the safe side. I doubt it would even get questioned as it is on my BIL's ranch which is 500 acres and the only time I have ever encountered another human being in the area is when we made the 30 minute drive to town.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    You made a wise choice grasshopper!

Give em hell!
    Whatcha going to be poppping them critters with? I'm sure you will have a lot of fun but in reality you will do no damage to the population. I've been shooting and trapping every hog I can find where we hunt for mor than 20 years and it seems like we don't even make a dent in the population.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Whatcha going to be poppping them critters with?

2011-08-31_22_09_46.jpg
    2011-09-01_14_26_031.jpg

If you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly.