Home Main Category Hunting

Opening day dove report

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,094 Senior Member
It SUCKED.

Saw, at most, 20 dove total all afternoon. Of the ones I saw, only 6 were within range and I only got 2 of them. Both of them were headed toward the wood line and were high enough, and moving fast enough that even "folded" their "ballistic trajectory" carried them deep enough into the thick stuff, that I couldn't find either of them :tissue:

On a positive note, the 1100 fed without a hitch (except for some Winchester "Super Speed" 7/8 oz 12 ga loads that it's always had problems with. Had 2 FTE with them)
So my finger smashing was worth it.
http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?15786-Rem-1100-problem-(THANK-YOU-Teach)
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Were you using a Mojo and decoys?
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    nope.

Kind of a spur of the moment "I'm going to dove hunting tomorrow" deal Friday evening. So I'd done no scouting just went and sat on the edges of 2 of the green fields I'd planted Monday, hoping the dove had found the "top sown" seeds
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    Gotta be part dog to find those doves that fall in the woods.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    NN wrote: »
    yessir, you do, & I ain't

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »

It's no picnic finding Roosters most of the time, especially without a dog, doves have got to be significantly worse to locate.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,989 Senior Member
    You're doing better than me. I haven't even been.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Here's the thing about dove hunting, and the reason I drive 500 miles out to the prairie (heck, desert is probably a more apt description) to hunt them. There are plenty of doves, in a lot of areas (mostly in town). I can drive around in the area I live, and they are everywhere...until you start shooting at them. Locally, I can walk from one water source to the next, and pick up one or two, here and there. If I work really hard at it, I can maybe get 8 or 10 in a day...lots of fun, but pretty tough on an older guy, in 100 degree heat, and not productive enough to feed all the mouths at my table who like to eat them. The reason it's so tough is that there is plenty of food and water for them, and they simply don't have to fight their way through a hail of bird shot to survive...they just keep moving to another of the endless water sources....very sporting, and good insurance against ever running out of doves. But, if I wanted to work that hard at it, I wouldn't have quit duck hunting, years ago. It is simply too much preparation and hard work for too little return, in my opinion. Nowadays, when I do hunt locally, I always set up the Mojo, put a few decoys out, and wear camo to increase the number of chances I can get to shoot - if there really are a lot of doves, they usually can't resist checking them out during the last few minutes of legal shooting time.

But, the last few years, I favor driving all day to places where it is more predictable where they will be. Out on the prairie, it is not uncommon to go all day long without seeing a dove, only to be swarmed the last 30-45 minutes of legal shooting time, at a leaky windmill, in an area that looks incapable of supporting any wildlife at all. The added advantage is that half of them are ringnecks, which taste just as good, are just as hard to bag, and don't count against your limit. Like most hunting, these days, it is far from cost effective by the time you spend a couple nights in a motel, and buy gas and food. But, any time you shoot a case of shells, wing-shooting, you have had huge fun, and every time you eat them, you get to re-live some of that fun in your mind.

Dove hunting is a great sport for old farts who only want to go a couple times a year and don't want to work too hard at it. You just have to stack the odds in your favor, as much as possible. Also, the variety of shots is endless, once they know you are there and start their evasive maneuvering.
    Well Bis, the main problem where I went was, a couple of neighboring owners had cut their hay (and had "SWARMS" of dove flying around them) and the guy that cuts the hay on my cousin's place hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Went yesterday as well, only saw 15 birds over the entire ~200yd x ~600yd field, 8 were within range, got shots at 4 of those and killed 2.

Here's a pic of the field. It appears to have been taken back in the spring before the hay grew.

The star represents my location, the arrows, the directions the majority of doves I shot at came from. Roughly 3/4 of the doves I saw were WELL out of range either flying down the northern wood line (top of pic) or the eastern wood line (right side of pic)
    field2_zpsf05485df.jpg

edited to add: to give you a size perspective, see the small "dot" bottom edge towards the left? See the square "food plot" just to the right of the star? From the furthest edge of the food plot to that shooting house is a lased 102 yards

CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    It's no picnic finding Roosters most of the time, especially without a dog, doves have got to be significantly worse to locate.
    Especially in THICK Alabama brush/woods, or, from yesterday, waist deep bahia hay (lost one in it Sunday, took an eye off it falling to try and shoot the other one with it)

• gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    I went out opening day to one of my local favorite flyways and it was over run with California hunters so I went and had coffee, went back in the afternoon and got 5.
    I haven't found the time to get back out yet and with work and fire duty looks like Sunday will be my last chance for the early season.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    You're doing better than me. I haven't even been.

Same here, Only north zone open right now and I have no place to hunt in the north zone. Central opens next weekend and I need to do some feeder work at the ranch, may pack my shotgun when I go.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    I'm back home from my September dove hunt on the prairie. All in all, it was a good hunt, and a good time with friends. We didn't get swarmed this year, as we have in past years, but everyone got their limits, plus a good number of the 'collared' doves that don't count against your limit, and one rattlesnake. We just had to work harder than usual, and windy days made for some really tough shots. It was pretty typical, in that we all made some great shots, and missed some really easy ones. I strive for 50% and always come up short, but it is still great fun.

One very encouraging thing was that I got to watch two large coveys of blue quail - a fantastic little game bird that somehow manages to thrive in a very tough environment. They have been scarce for a couple of years, but seem to be coming back, despite the drought conditions that the area has, more often than not. A friend took some pictures that I will post, if he ever gets around to forwarding them to me. I didn't take any, so I didn't bother to post a new thread.
    Congrats on the good hunt :beer:

Sounds like you had a good time :up: