MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,805 Senior Member
DSC00625_zpsb31f83b3.jpg
DSC00626_zps191903a1.jpg
DSC00627_zpsbf067beb.jpg
DSC00632_zps950044b2.jpg
DSC00630_zps3ef8992c.jpg
DSC00628_zps2a7fd1b8.jpg
Wambli Ska wrote: »
Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Replies

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    This was the lake I camped at

DSC00646_zps7ec60243.jpg
    DSC00644_zps2f2bde94.jpg
    DSC00642_zps0362add1.jpg
    DSC00639_zps640d2375.jpg
    DSC00637_zps63e12c8a.jpg
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    DSC00635_zpsa8779928.jpg

DSC00647_zps2448f25e.jpg

This is the upper lake in the 2nd canyon where we chased the small bucks to
    DSC00653_zpsb8d57cda.jpg
    DSC00650_zps0b54b0c4.jpg
    DSC00649_zps4ba78047.jpg
    DSC00648_zps2229c66b.jpg
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Hey, were's all the rain?
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Great pics....I really miss that country.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    DSC00657_zps4a1dd4dd.jpg
    DSC00655_zpsdc2995c7.jpg
    DSC00654_zpsac30ba09.jpg
    DSC00679_zps0d0bb66c.jpg
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,661 Senior Member
    Looks like you were on the top looking down, what altitude did you get up to?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    DSC00680_zps37d0dbab.jpg
    DSC00681_zpsb3d5671a.jpg
    DSC00682_zps58969cfc.jpg
    DSC00683_zps17454311.jpg
    DSC00684_zps929a518d.jpg

The pics below are of the bowl way up high, where I eventually killed the deer

DSC00685_zps0a361c29.jpg
    DSC00687_zps9761d3a8.jpg
    DSC00688_zpsdb440986.jpg
    DSC00690_zpscbb93b59.jpg
    DSC00691_zps5504b90d.jpg
    DSC00692_zps16fce60b.jpg
    DSC00693_zps3de2aeb9.jpg
    DSC00694_zps057407ca.jpg
    DSC00695_zpsa967da91.jpg
    DSC00696_zps64f449ca.jpg
    DSC00697_zps79a3f1dd.jpg
    DSC00698_zpsace36158.jpg

That ridge in front, on the left where the trees stop, is where the 4 big boys crossed
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Great pics....I really miss that country.

I hear ya. But for those that have never seen it in person. As good as his pics are, pics just can't do that country justice.
    You have to see it in person.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    DSC00703_zpsf7ab4b71.jpg
    DSC00706_zps89ffd492.jpg
    DSC00708_zpsc2afb68a.jpg
    DSC00710_zps766e93ad.jpg
    DSC00712_zpsabea22d6.jpg
    DSC00718_zps56a1fa3f.jpg
    DSC00720_zps59c38bf5.jpg
    DSC00721_zps921ac4d1.jpg
    DSC00722_zps4a8186df.jpg
    DSC00725_zpsbe9725e5.jpg
    DSC00726_zps1d1375d7.jpg
    DSC00727_zps6b09403e.jpg
    DSC00729_zpse702f1eb.jpg
    DSC00730_zpse0be672e.jpg

This area is all directly across from where 90% of the other pics were taken, I hunted this during the short break in the rain on Thursday mid day.
    DSC00733_zps647edd0f.jpg
    DSC00671_zps834a5095.jpg
    DSC00669_zps59e6b48e.jpg
    DSC00672_zps885f8c36.jpg
    DSC00677_zpsa8f3d082.jpg
    DSC00658_zps7154ebd0.jpg
    DSC00665_zps4e9fe595.jpg
    DSC00651_zpsba52732c.jpg

twins, moley the mulie, the goats (through my spotting scope they were 3/4 mile away at least) and the very bottom picture is the high but narrow buck I had stalked to 10ft earlier. This is the last place we saw them when we left to go back around
    DSC00735_zpseb806954.jpg
    DSC00742_zpsccb37ea7.jpg
    DSC00743_zpsa8914b58.jpg
    In

DSC00744_zps6a1d3c91.jpg

out

DSC00747_zps085da647.jpg
    DSC00752_zps083956a2.jpg

DSC00748_zpse034f69d.jpg

DSC00754_zpsb07b4151.jpg

The end
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    I was was getting ready to say that there were no deer in those pictures. I like the surprise ending. Very well written!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Looks like you were on the top looking down, what altitude did you get up to?

Didn't have a GPS to get an exact, but going by topo just shy of 13k
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,051 Senior Member
    That'll work.

How 'bout some details of the spot, stalk, shot, equipment.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Nice and YOU DO SUCK!!!:worthy:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • pardogpardog Member Posts: 423 Member
    Nice buck! Congrats
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    What's not to like? Time in God's Country and a reward.

Congrats!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,943 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    What's not to like? Time in God's Country and a reward.

Congrats!

D

:that:
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,720 Senior Member
    Nice story, nice deer.

Maybe Buffco will take lessons.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,094 Senior Member
    Awesome!!

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,579 Senior Member
    Excellent. Awesome. You know you're killing me, right?
    Great buck.
    I'll be back out there next year. Stick and string.
    Zee wrote: »
    That'll work.

How 'bout some details of the spot, stalk, shot, equipment.

Ok, I've had enough decompression and adjustment time! I'll start off with a few basics before getting to the whole story.

Equipment:
    I used the Colt Light Rifle I picked up at Gander a little while ago. Topped it off with a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40mm. I went with this scope mostly for the weight, it comes in at 11oz. They make an UL VX-2 that is only 9oz but its a 3-9x33 and I read some reports about the very touchy eye relief plus I wanted more light gathering, didn't want to miss a shot because it was getting too dark to reliably see the target. I loaded up those 130gr TSX that so many people thought would just bounce off a deer since it has a low SD....at least by those that have never used mono metal bullets and don't understand them :roll:. In one of the pics lower down you can see the entry/exit wound were about the same size. Internal damage was more then acceptable, broke 2 ribs going out. I didn't see the organ damage because I used the Alaskan Moose Method or gutless dressing. You go in from the back and cut away the quarters, take the straps/loins/neck and leave the guts in place. It'll take me a few more times of doing it to get more efficient and clean with the cuts, but this was pretty cool, I hope to never need to gut another animal again, especially elk. The gut pile of an elk is bigger then most whitetails that are shot every year, whole body.

The bullets were sitting on top of IMR4064. I tried 3031 as well but the groups weren't to my liking. The 4064 could actually use more work, to get better groups, either by fine weight charge changes or most likely through seating depth.

I did pick up a few new pieces of gear for the hunt, again everything about shaving weight. I used an employee promotion with Under Armour to get my boots, they're the Speed Freak uninsulated hi's. Boots were awesome, I wore them the day before opening season as a "break in" but it wasn't needed, they were totally comfy right out of the box. The pair weighs about 1.5lbs total, think about that. Most hunting boots weigh well over 2lbs EACH. Paired up with merino socks my feet were plenty happy even with 5+ mile hikes up and over some very rocky and steep terrain.

Also picked up a new spotting scope. What I was really hoping for was to get a really good pair of BIG binos, like 12x50 or 15x50, with tripod mounts, and use those in conjunction with a small high quality pocket pair, like a 6x32 for initial glassing, then use the big eyes for long glassing. Well, money and more importantly time didn't allow ordering my stuff (again, through special vendor deals, binos I wanted were back ordered until early September and they couldn't give me a date....my hunt was early september, didn't want to risk not getting them) So I used my Pentax 8x42's which have always served me very well, heavy but crisp and clear. Nikon had just released their new Prostaff 3 Field scope and I was very impressed with the quality of the glass. Forget the exact specs at the moment but I think its 16-48. Best part, is that the scope only weighs 21.6oz! That is 8oz lighter then the binos I want to purchase! When doing mountain hunts like this, ounces = pounds, every single ounce you can shed helps. Remember above 12kft you are only getting like 75% of the oxygen you are at sea level. Add the very steep hills, and the lighter, the better. I know most people still just don't get or understand the need for such specialized gear, but most will never NEED it either.

Also picked up that packframe in the last pics, since I didn't have an ATV and I knew anything I shot was coming out on my back. Its just a Sportsmans Warehouse basic 50$ frame. Better then the one we had at Gander for about 10$ more after my discount. Although the Gander one has a few pockets/pouches already attached, I might still get one.

Picked up a new knife as well, Outdoor Edge replaceable razor type knife. Like the Havalon Piranta, but wider and thicker so its a bit more sturdy. Should have saved the 35$. It was ok for some tasks, but I burned through like 4 blades due to the massive amount of fat on this deer (never seen this much fat, nearly the entire body was covered in an INCH of hard fat). My O-E locking knife did the bulk of the work, as usual it did an outstanding job. Didn't dull until I was nearly finished skinning/deboning/quartering/caping. IIRC it held up for quite a while on JBO's elk last year, too. Great knives, just avoid the razor system thing. I dunno, maybe they work better on smaller animals just fine :shrug:
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,162 Senior Member
    I didn't see the organ damage because I used the Alaskan Moose Method or gutless dressing. You go in from the back and cut away the quarters, take the straps/loins/neck and leave the guts in place. It'll take me a few more times of doing it to get more efficient and clean with the cuts, but this was pretty cool, I hope to never need to gut another animal again, especially elk. The gut pile of an elk is bigger then most whitetails that are shot every year, whole body.

What about the tenderloins?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    So I left on Thursday afternoon, only worked a half day at the brewery so I didn't have to burn up an extra vacation day (they forward you vaca-time all you want, but if you leave the company before its "paid" off they take it from your final check, we get 3 hours per 2 week pay period...I'm like 6 pay periods in the hole now lol) and stopped by Gander on the way to pick up that spotting scope.

It took us (me and dad) longer to get up then planned since they were doing a massive amount of road work through South Park, and had everything shut down to 1 lane. Plus it was getting close to quitting time so on top of waiting for both sides of traffic to pass we also had to wait for dump trucks and machines to move out. That was about a 20 minute stand still.

The road up was a bit bumpy, but I was expecting that since the NFS webpage says the last 6 miles require vehicles with high clearance. It was a road, but it was full of large rocks in some spots and quite a few dips that had filled with water. Once you got above the pavement, you'd never guess CO was in a drought lol looked like a rain forest!! Got up to the camp and drove around looking for an open camping spot. I knew there was a vault toilet, which is why I selected it, but I didn't expect the picnic tables and nice fire rings/grills as well. Got a spot, unloaded and I got the tent and such up pretty quick. Then we went and did a little walking about, checked out the lake and took some pics. Stunning views is an understatement. Like RB said...pics don't do it justice, you have to see it to really take hold of it all. Did a little bit of fishing, caught a couple tiny trout in the stream. But it was getting pretty dark quick so we set up dinner. Tried to start a fire, but everything was soaking wet, so that didn't really happen (ever, the biggest fire I got going was about 10" and lasted 20 minutes before the rain put it out)

It was fairly cold at night, high 30's/low 40's and wet. The humidity made it feel colder. Blanket over the head to sleep kind of nights. Next morning did a little food and fished some more. After that my dad said he wasn't feeling well so he was going to leave when I went to go see my uncle who was on the other side of Monarch Pass in Ohio City. Went there, saw friends and family, had some TX BBQ (they live near Houston) and stayed longer then I wanted, but oh well. Got back in the dark, set out a few pieces of gear and hit the sack to get some sleep for opening morning....

So, got up later then planned, as usual, but got some coffee and oatmeal going and sorted out food for the pack. Pieced all my gear together and headed out by foot up to another lake above my campground figuring it would be a good place to start. 1/4 mile into it I hear an ATV coming up behind me (mind you there were a couple hikers, fishermen, other hunters etc in the area but not many). Guy stopped and said hi, asked why I had a rifle, told him about the special tag yada yada, he just kinda looked at me and said ok, good luck. He was hunting mule deer too, but with a bow (bow season was already 2 weeks underway). I walked up the road more until I finally got through the pines and could see the big valley I intended to hunt that day. I put the glass up on the high open areas and bam, first look, at least 4 bucks feeding out in the open. Couldn't see the size, but I could tell they were bucks. Was about to work my way across the marsh instead of walking up the rest of the road when I heard the ATV come back. It is one of those side by side ones, pretty nifty I must say. The guy pulls up, says "get in, there's 4 bucks up there" I said yea I saw them and I was just going to wal...."GET IN". Ok then! Unloaded, got in and we hauled butt to the parking area where the road ends (this would be the lot where the final pics came from with the split rail fence, and also where the little bucks were feeding next to my truck) we get there and I said I appreciate the ride, BIG time. Well old fella said we ain't done yet, we are going to help each other out today, increase both our odds. He only asked that if he got a good chance to make a stalk to within bow range on a buck he wanted, that he could go first since I had the reach. I was fine with that. We get hustling along the trail through the big brush valley (the big open area in the pics above the lake). I was surprised the brush was that high, over my head in some spots, but it doesn't look that way from the road. Anyways we figured where we had seen the bucks, and where they had moved, didn't take long until we saw antlers moving.

We kept following the road like the deer were, and would get glimpses of them here and there. They had seen us, but weren't really interested or spooked, they'd look for a second, and go back to eating. Bonus of hunting early season in an area that has regular human foot traffic! We got a good spot to see the 4 bucks go through an opening, and could see the racks. The first 2 were REAL good looking, the last 2 obviously younger but good for a bow hunter, as he said. They can't be real picky, no baiting or feeding here over blinds, every thing is either game trail ambush with luck, or spot and stalk. We got to a spot where it looked like the deer were going to cross over a low saddle and drop into thick timber, so we waited a few minutes and started after them. Just a few steps and we noticed they went a different way and were heading up a really steep hill towards a ridge. They were zig zagging up the hill and we got really good looks at all of them. The lead buck was the old grey faced buck I mentioned last week. Couldn't get a real close solid look at the rack but it was big, you could also tell he was a senior and on his way down as far as rack size goes. Odd thing was he was already slate grey and had no velvet, every other buck was still red and fuzzy on the antlers. The biggest buck was still in velvet, this was buck #2. BIG rack, getting close to that magical 30" inside spread. He had a couple of cheater points on the back that would have pushed the outside spread to probably 36" or more. On mule deer though, those actually REDUCE the score, since muleys are basically supposed to be 4x4 with or without brow tines. 5x5 is acceptable if they're part of the forks and symmetrical. Extra "trash points" are only good if the overall inches push past 230" in the B&C book as a non-typical. Typical w/trash points usually lower down into the 160-170 range with deductions, even if the deer has 4ft wide antlers as big around as pine trees. Anyways....

The smaller bucks were both odd shaped, one was extremely wide but extremely short, think Bullwinkle. Straight out, and tiny points going straight up. He might put some serious size on later with good forage and the winter isn't too hard. The other buck was very heavy and REALLY tall, but narrow. Anyways I said yes, I want the old grey bruiser. We got to within 100 yards, but after moving quick at 12k+ I was a bit too shaky for an offhand shot, plus it was an extreme up hill shot at a moving animal angling in from the back...basically just no good shots ethically. I didn't want to risk a bad shot in that country, heaven knows where that deer would have taken us. But, they crested the ridge in a tiny hard to see pass and totally sky lighted themselves! Odd for mule deer, they usually avoid that. The old guy went first, looked at us, and walked off. The younger bucks were last and stuck around a few minutes after crossing to watch us. Once they were out of sight we gave them a while to move and settle down and then we trekked up after them. Hill was steep. We get up to where they had crossed and decided to go around rather then over, see if we could cut them off or at least be out of their sight line and spot them. Got around, nothing. We figured they stayed high and kept moving horizontally so we kept working that way. Found a gulch with a lot of heavy cover and worked our way up that, trying to stay out of the wind as much as possible, which was blowing directly towards where we thought they had moved.