Home Main Category Hunting

All this hunting stuff going on my neck is starting to swell!

timctimc Senior MemberPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
Man its only September and I'm already getting pumped up for hunting season. Maybe its because all the work being done at the ranch lately. We finished yesterday converting all of our corn feeders over to winch crank so we don't have to climb ladders any more to fill them, I can still do it but if I fall off the ladder it takes me a lot longer to get up than it used to. we also just got finished with all the road cleaning, had a bulldozer do a blade and a half wide cleanup on all the roads so now we have 15 foot wide shooting lanes again. We do this about every 5 years to keep the roads clear, if not the cactus and mesquite will take over quickly.

Seeing lots of pig and deer tracks so I think it will be a good year, if nothing else it will be great fun in the outdoors with great friends and good food. Just getting away from the world for a while is the best relaxation!
timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member

Replies

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I'll probably go out for the weekend at the end of this month to do the last of the limb trimming and camp cleanup. May bust a pig or two while I'm out there. This will be my first year hunting with suppressors so it should be fun.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Man its only September and I'm already getting pumped up for hunting season. Maybe its because all the work being done at the ranch lately. We finished yesterday converting all of our corn feeders over to winch crank so we don't have to climb ladders any more to fill them, I can still do it but if I fall off the ladder it takes me a lot longer to get up than it used to. we also just got finished with all the road cleaning, had a bulldozer do a blade and a half wide cleanup on all the roads so now we have 15 foot wide shooting lanes again. We do this about every 5 years to keep the roads clear, if not the cactus and mesquite will take over quickly.

Seeing lots of pig and deer tracks so I think it will be a good year, if nothing else it will be great fun in the outdoors with great friends and good food. Just getting away from the world for a while is the best relaxation!

Yeah, but man, It's still 90 degrees in the shade around here. I can't get cranked up til the first norther and I go into rut. I am leaving the country for most of October, so I need to hump and get it. I have some corn and will need to buy another 120 pounds to fill my feeders. I'll also change the batteries. I won't do any of that until around Oct. 1st. I leave the 7th and won't be back til the 28th so I don't want to fill the feeders until just before I leave. If I put 5 sacks in my big feeder It will last over a month so I won't have to refill it until After I'm back. That will be 5 days before season opens. I'll change the batteries when I fill them. My other feeder doesn't even hold a 50 pound bag so I'll set it to only come on once a day until I'm back. I was going to do the food plot thing, but everything is so green around here from all the rain I'm probably going to forego that. I've got to go to the range and shoot in the rest of my rifles too. Then when I get back I'll be ready for the hunt.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,636 Senior Member
    Yep, my dad and uncle just picked up a Farmall M and have been pulling up Christmas trees, hopefully we can put a serious dent in a food plot prep this year. Had a frost up north, going looking for grouse in a week or so. DU banquet on Tuesday, 'tis the season.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Still dead and brown where I'm at so the corn feeders are being hit hard. Our 6 feeders hold 1800 pounds of corn total and that last about 6 weeks so we are feeding pretty hard.
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Yep, my dad and uncle just picked up a Farmall M and have been pulling up Christmas trees, hopefully we can put a serious dent in a food plot prep this year. Had a frost up north, going looking for grouse in a week or so. DU banquet on Tuesday, 'tis the season.

This time of year, I'm always thinkin' all you guys up in the "Great White North" suck big time. Like I said, around here it's 90 in the shade and that's after sundown, LOL!!!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,636 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    This time of year, I'm always thinkin' all you guys up in the "Great White North" suck big time. Like I said, around here it's 90 in the shade and that's after sundown, LOL!!!

It is just starting to get nice out, just had to break out the jeans instead of just the shorts.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    It is just starting to get nice out, just had to break out the jeans instead of just the shorts.

That's where my wife says she knows the weathers changing, I pull out the big boy pants and boots.
    We will probably have 90-95 degree days until October. Sometimes September can be our hottest month. It sucks, but sure makes you appreciate that first cool front.

I need to get my 7mag sighted in since I worked up another load for it and last time I was out was only shooting groups with it. When I do that I don't worry about POI, just group. And I screwed around grouping and never adjusted the scope to my preferred zero, which is about 2 inches high at 100 which puts that round about 1/2 inch high at 200. and about 5" low at 300 yards. Then there's the 9.3 x 62 which I had zeroed but it fell off the rests when I turned my back on it. It knocked the scope back off zero a couple inches. I only had three rounds left at that point and it was still a little low and left when I ran out. Now I've got a slew of rounds loaded up for it. However, when I return to the range, I will NOT forget my Past Recoil Shield this time!
    I run a little different, all mine are sighted in to zero at 100 yards. I make all my yardage calculations from there with the advantage being 24 years at the same place and I know how far every twig is by heart. The only variable is the suppressors I'll be hunting with this year o everything will need t be checked and zeroed with the suppressor. The Savage Hog Hunter with subsonic loads is already sighted in but will need a re-sight when the new scope and stock come in next week, of course by then I will use up all the ammo I had on sight in so I need to find some bullets pretty quickly.
    That's the advantage of hunting the same place all the time, especially if you have a scope such as a BDC or better, a MIldot reticle.

Why I like to sight in my rifles like that is that out to 300 yards there's not much holdover. Just put it on the animal and let it scream.