Home Main Category Hunting

Operation: Deer Camp

Replies

• agewonagewon Senior Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
    Why are you tearing it to the deck? It's already a waterproof shell. Could you gut it, put in some metal studs to fir out for insulation and just put up some paneling? That'll keep your overall weight down.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Are you stacking them? One high, one low? You could put them on one side only, and have plenty of room to walk around.
    Actually, I will be setting the lower bunks on the floor then the upper bunks about half way up. I want to keep the inside ceiling height down between 6'5" to 6'8" or so. Yes, if I keep the beds on one side, I can put about 2' deep of storage cabinets, the furnace, and other stuff along the opposite wall and still have almost 30" of aisle space. I might even go 12" deep and have a table top on hinges that folds down.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    agewon wrote: »
    Why are you tearing it to the deck? It's already a waterproof shell. Could you gut it, put in some metal studs to fir out for insulation and just put up some paneling? That'll keep your overall weight down.
    The shell is aluminum stapled to 2"x2" wall studs with thin paneling on the inside. I got some spots where the walls and a bit of the flooring is rotting out. The slide-out is 1000 pounds that I really don't need. Electrical issues here and there-- too much crap to go wrong. In construction, I have found it easier, faster, and cheaper just to level stuff and start from scratch than to polish a turd.
    -Thomas Paine
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    "For sale: Small sailboat- - - - -sleeps one couple, four good friends, or 14 drunks!"
    :rotflmao:
    Jerry
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    If you aren't in a bed, get it out of the way........

casa-kids-dumbo-murphy-bed-1-537x402.jpg2012murphybunk2.jpgCasa-Kids-Murphy-Bed.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,661 Senior Member
    I have been thinking about this, if you already have a kitchen/dining/and a room to SSS, then just get a second trailer to to make into a bunkhouse. Also, why can't the pullout section be fixed?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I have been thinking about this, if you already have a kitchen/dining/and a room to SSS, then just get a second trailer to to make into a bunkhouse. Also, why can't the pullout section be fixed?

Once you start to get rot in the walls and floors, you almost have to take it completely apart to fix it right anyhow....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,661 Senior Member
    I did not know he was dealing with rot.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,112 Senior Member
    Off course, you will be towing it to Jerry's next year wont you..............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    If you aren't in a bed, get it out of the way........

Casa-Kids-Murphy-Bed.jpg
    I really like that idea! I would have to adapt it for fat guys, and it will not be ready for this season, but I do think I will run with that concept.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I really like that idea! I would have to adapt it for fat guys, and it will not be ready for this season, but I do think I will run with that concept.

No need for it to be so pretty either
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    That trailer is a palace. This is supposed to be a deer camp.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Back in the early 1950's the family hunting/fishing vehicle was a 1937 Chevy panel truck with a couple of GI bunk frames hinged to the sides of the body. In the off-season time it served as a tow vehicle for the 1934 Ford 3-window coupe Dad raced at dirt tracks all over middle Tennessee. It always had a faint smell of alcohol-based racing fuel, as I recall! All the camping and fishing gear had its specific place in wooden boxes, with holes for the fold-up legs for the bunks outlined in red paint on the floor.
    Jerry
    Give the boy a hammer, safety goggles, and some gloves and say "have at it!" Should be a good way to tear it down and give the boy some exercise too.
    This is what lives in my back yard...
    X12812-PP-1009_zpsd53f8e5c.jpg
    Why let the kid have all the fun?
    -Thomas Paine
    I have been disassembling stuff tonight and I have to say that if mouse poop were gold dust, I would be retired by now. Got the range, hood, oak cabinet doors, fridge, couch, chair, and most of the switches, fixtures, vents, and crap pulled. I still got to get the sink, water heater, and furnace out of the main area. Then I can start on the bathroom and upper area. After that, it will be windows, doors, tanks, and the rest of the external stuff.

I am kind of pumped! There is a ton of neat stuff in one of these things. That little range could very well make a really neat camp stove. Or for canning, you fire that bad boy up outside and the canner will fit over all 4 burners so you don't heat the house up. The little couch/hide-a-bed fits in my daughter's playhouse, the lounge chair is going in my son's. I can pretty much salvage or scrap everything besides the roofing, the crappy wood grain tape over particle board cabinet frames, the paneling, flooring, and the 2x2 wall studs.
    -Thomas Paine
    Im awesome, btw.
    Lmao
    I just noticed that. Paybacks are hell!
    -Thomas Paine
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,401 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    What I really need is a bunkhouse. The plan is to turn something that I pretty much hate into something useful. I am going to tear this sucker down to the deck and rebuild it into a 24' trailer with 8-10 beds. We pee outside, we don't take showers, we cook outside-- all we need is a warm place to crash at night. That, and a bit of storage.
    First question, why are you even dinking around with electric?
    Stove/grill = propane.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp-Chef-Expedition-3X-Triple-Burner-Stove/1587381.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dstove%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=stove&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Heat = propane. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442160_200442160

Get a adapter hose and tree from Coleman to run off a 20lb tank and you can run lanterns for all the light you will need. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Distribution-Tree-2-Piece/13848693 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Quickpack-Lantern-With-Case/13848594?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_top&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=48196669514&category=0%3A4125%3A4128%3A1080844%3A1080885&client_guid=a21decdf-0690-4239-9e3b-15faa78f1528&config_id=2&parent_item_id=13848693&guid=a41b3ec0-7bde-4b86-a7ed-6ffb9000f695&bucket_id=000&findingMethod=p13n

A flat floor and a few Cabelas fat guy cots http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Outfitter-XL-Cot-with-Cot-Side-Nightstand8482/746162.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dcot%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D21%26y%3D8&Ntt=cot&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products and you have a bunkhouse. I have 2 of the cots and a questionable back, and I can get up and move after sleeping in one. You wont need heat after everyone hits the rack if you have 10 people in there.

If you want power to charge stuff, then get a Little 2k honda generator and run it for a hour a day. OR since you are at hunting camp, leave the electronics off.

Leave a tail on the trailer and rent a porta potty for the week. Put it on when you leave, take it off when you come back.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Wife and I were at a Cross Country meet 3 weeks ago, and they had a DJ there playing music and doing announcements on a pretty big system and he was powering it with a little 1000W Honda generator. He had it under a box with egg crate foam and you couldn't even hear it from where we were sitting 30' away.

honda-eu1000i-super-quiet-generator.jpgbox_with_mic1.jpg

I didn't even know it was there until we were leaving and got on the open side of the box. Even then, it was pretty darn quiet.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Jerm, carry on Bro. I think you got a great idea here. Follow your dreams and it will be fine. I see a nice portable deer camp. If you can find a place for one sink and water piped in, and get a portapotty to put outside, then all your amenities are taken care of.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    First question, why are you even dinking around with electric? Because I know how and can.
    Stove/grill = propane. Yep.

Heat = propane. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442160_200442160
    Death by carbon monoxide poisoning. I will be using the sealed combustion furnace out of the 5th wheel. It runs off 12 volt and propane.

Get a adapter hose and tree from Coleman to run off a 20lb tank and you can run lanterns for all the light you will need. LED bulbs put out tons of light and use only 9 watts.

A flat floor and a few Cabelas fat guy cots http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Outfitter-XL-Cot-with-Cot-Side-Nightstand8482/746162.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dcot%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D21%26y%3D8&Ntt=cot&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products I have 2 of the cots and a questionable back, and I can get up and move after sleeping in one. Hmmmm. You wont need heat after everyone hits the rack if you have 10 people in there. Normally, it is just 3 of us, but my son will start hunting next year and my wife and youngest will be coming up in 2 more.

If you want power to charge stuff, then get a Little 2k honda generator and run it for a hour a day. Got 6 generators, one being a Honda 2k. OR since you are at hunting camp, leave the electronics off. Can't-- self employed!

Leave a tail on the trailer and rent a porta potty for the week. Put it on when you leave, take it off when you come back. I am starting to wonder how much one of those costs to buy. It could be handy on some jobs from time to time.
    -Thomas Paine
    Wife and I were at a Cross Country meet 3 weeks ago, and they had a DJ there playing music and doing announcements on a pretty big system and he was powering it with a little 1000W Honda generator. He had it under a box with egg crate foam and you couldn't even hear it from where we were sitting 30' away. I didn't even know it was there until we were leaving and got on the open side of the box. Even then, it was pretty darn quiet.
    Those ultra quiet Hondas are nice! The reality for me though is that I can run the lights, furnace, and charge my laptop and cell phones with a 100 watt inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter of my truck. Anything more is just overkill. Last year, the furnace was screwing up and I had to run electric space heaters off the generator along with the gas range to keep us warm at night. Using the range creeped me out because of the carbon monoxide it puts out.

After I get this furnace yanked, it is going to my mechanical contractor's shop for a complete overhaul.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    A friend of mine did a similar project....one of his handier ideas was a fold down table on the outside of the rig. Made a perfect place to do all the cooking and prep work. It was set up with a tarp awning, so meal prep could continue in crappy weather. We had two Coleman three burners (one used for the oven) and kept the food coolers under the table so the drunks wouldn't fall over them in the middle of the night,
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,401 Senior Member
    Just cuz ya know how, doesnt mean you have to :)

For most stuff, I am not a big Cabelas fan. The average stuff is overpriced..... HOWEVER, when it comes to large folk, and lazy man camping, they have the stuff.
    The kids fight for the cots when we set them up in the living room when they have friends over. I dont know if they would really be any dang good after 1200 lb of people got on them, but I have more than enough room and can sleep well on one and am not the smallest bear in the forest. Also the 0deg bag built long and wide is worth the 90 bucks I spent on it.

The 3 burner with the griddle has fed a lot of scouts and their families. It makes real heat, right now. Head and shoulders over a Coleman for feeding large groups. For a family, the 2 burner or a 3 burner Coleman with a griddle would be just dandy.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I like my trailer as far as towed trailers go, but if I had my druthers I'd get me a small motor home. If it sleeps 4 people that's fine with me. In fact two would do it. But if I had a small cab over motor home I could drive it right on the lease. What I DON'T like about Towed trailers (Not Fifth Wheels) is unhooking and hooking and setting them up. They are a PAIN! and after pulling one all day the last thing I feel like doing is all that unhooking, leveling, and jacking around. Then you get to hook up the sewer and water etc. But I've done it a million times, ok a hundred thousand, LOL!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    What the roof gonna be? Metal ?
    What the roof gonna be? Metal ?
    Rubber.
    -Thomas Paine
    Since you are building it, you can insulate it rather well.
    Yep.
    -Thomas Paine
    What's the coldest it typically gets there during deer season?
    Coldest-- upper teens. Typically we get a high of about 45 degrees and a low in the high 20's/low 30's.
    -Thomas Paine
    The main reason you rent a portajon is.......... you don't have to empty it!
    The main reason you rent a portajon is.......... you don't have to empty it!
    That is the cool thing about being the boss.
    -Thomas Paine