Starbucks

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,115 Senior Member
They've gone from being a place where open carry of firearms was allowed as long as they were legally carried, to one where they're asking customers not to bring in their weapons. They're not banning them, but they are asking that folks not bring them in. Why? It's in part due to the actions of firearms advocates with the "Starbucks Appreciation Day," where advocates did the one thing the company asked them NOT to do: use their stores as a political rallying point. That has been something that Starbucks has asked since day one. It's also been why some gun rights advocates have been against rallies at Starbucks: it's taking a potential ally and turning them somewhat against you because you're doing what they ask you not to do.

Actions have consequences.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/09/18/news/companies/starbucks-guns/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

http://www.starbucks.com/blog/an-open-letter-from-howard-schultz/1268

Edited to add: good editorial on our actions (as gun owners and the gun-owning community) and our responses and what they should be.
http://www.thebangswitch.com/our-own-worst-enemy/

BTW, I'm not at all a Starbucks fan. I find their coffee to be a bit burnt tasting. But I did appreciate that they were trying to take a position of stated neutrality but were forced to act because a few people couldn't respect their wishes.
Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    I have no problem supporting a company who will support my rights, or at least recognize them. That doesn't mean in going to go in there waving an AK around.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Basically, some people are idiots, and they are sometimes punished for their idiocy. Unfortunately the idiots were on our side this time.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,115 Senior Member
    Check out some of the comments on Starbucks' Facebook page. Idiots on both sides abound.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    I went in on the appreciation days wearing a 2A support shirt. Yes, I was carrying, concealed as usual. Both employees were friendly as usual. Got my order and left.

I had a nice discussion with two older ladies who admired my Remington hat. They both agreed that law abiding citizens should be allowed to carry firearms.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    I would think there's a difference between wearing clothes and doing what people in this gallery did...

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlf45meek/gun-lovers-take-to-starbucks/
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,658 Senior Member
    I, and my wife went, just to pump up their sales numbers for that day. We bought a couple of their over-priced coffees, ate a couple of their stale buns, and left. There was no sign that anything was different from any other day. It would have been enough to make a statement to Starbucks that their refusal to knuckle down to anti-gun activists was appreciated. There are some goofballs out there, and they gave Starbuck's weak-kneed corporate leaders an excuse to throw a bone to the anti-gun crew, which is probably where there loyalties really lie, anyway.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,563 Senior Member
    I would think there's a difference between wearing clothes and doing what people in this gallery did...

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlf45meek/gun-lovers-take-to-starbucks/

Don't give someone with an irrational fear of guns a visual conformation of their fears.

1236677_527954260617505_1259227284_n.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    The people in those pictures are complete and utter idiots.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    They've gone from being a place where open carry of firearms was allowed as long as they were legally carried, to one where they're asking customers not to bring in their weapons. They're not banning them, but they are asking that folks not bring them in. Why? It's in part due to the actions of firearms advocates with the "Starbucks Appreciation Day," where advocates did the one thing the company asked them NOT to do: use their stores as a political rallying point. That has been something that Starbucks has asked since day one. It's also been why some gun rights advocates have been against rallies at Starbucks: it's taking a potential ally and turning them somewhat against you because you're doing what they ask you not to do.

Actions have consequences.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/09/18/news/companies/starbucks-guns/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

http://www.starbucks.com/blog/an-open-letter-from-howard-schultz/1268

Edited to add: good editorial on our actions (as gun owners and the gun-owning community) and our responses and what they should be.
    http://www.thebangswitch.com/our-own-worst-enemy/

BTW, I'm not at all a Starbucks fan. I find their coffee to be a bit burnt tasting. But I did appreciate that they were trying to take a position of stated neutrality but were forced to act because a few people couldn't respect their wishes.

Some people have gone farther and accused Starbucks of being a bunch of Libtards. One reason for this is they do some things overseas to help the poor coffee farmers and the appear to be tree huggers. But what they do is only helping people and giving Americans a good name. I love Starbucks coffees and their stores. As long as they don't preach the word of Peta and the Sierra Club, and campaign openly for anti gun organizations, I say leave them be and support their products if you like them. They are a great American company and I too would hate to see us alienate them. Hey us gun owners need friends like Starbucks.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Starbucks HAS come out in support of some "liberal" initiatives, gay marriage being one example, and they're from Washington state, but that don't bother me none. I don't shop there because...

I don't like their coffee. I do have a Starbucks French press, and that thing is AWESOME. But any good French press is awesome.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,230 Senior Member
    Besides ones related to the shooting and hunting industry, why any business would take a position in the debate is beyond me.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    I do LOVE their coffees on the whole. I love their Sumatra especially. And some of their beans are very hard to obtain. Yeah they are from a very libral part of the country, and we need to realize that. That's a different battle that we gun people maybe should avoid. I believe in fighting battles I can win, (OK The .270 debate may be an exception, LOL) But trying to turn a whole state and part of the country to my beliefs I believe is an unwinnable battle, for me at least. And if they don't come out and attack my main cause, I can leave them alone and do things where I can help make a difference. And if they don't attack guns, I will continue to buy their coffees and eat their Coffee Cake, which I do love. As far as their products being stale, they're a chain, and each chain's quality boils down to the individual franchise owner's management. The two stores around here do a great job in keeping fresh products on their shelves. I love their low fat Cinnamon swirl coffee cake. A chunk of that and a large cup of their Sumatra, and I'm set for the morning.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • agewonagewon Senior Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Besides ones related to the shooting and hunting industry, why any business would take a position in the debate is beyond me.

"Because the mob is fickle brother".
    Sooner or later companies are dragged into making a statement on something. People are starting to use companies as leverage by protesting or boycotting.
    I saw where one girl, age 14 or something, made this huge push against Gatorade because the drink she liked had an ingredient that someone said was harmful. So in her entitled mind, she thought that the company should change to suit her, instead of just buying another drink. I got so pissed I couldn't finish the article.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Thanks a lot open-carry morons! You're doing a great job of ruining it for everybody. Open carry is fine for the field, but not for the urban/commercial environment. Stop taking those stupid pills when you play with your firearms. Guns and drugs don't mix. I'm not even a coffee drinker (Diet Coke - it's not just for breakfast any more!) so this won't affect me, but I can see these jerks deliberately abusing their privileges and turning other companies against us.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    I like coffe but not the $5.00 kind. If I was in a Starbucks no one would know I was armed except the a**hole that tries to rob the place. Check out this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GAgIBgOA3M :applause: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    This, around 8 years ago...

At a Starbucks in LA, coffee, sandwiches, fruit salad and cake for 2 ran close to $30!

That happened ONCE.

Few blocks away at Norms, a nice chain of Diners all over LA, their 24 hour $2.99 special inclued a decent T-Bone, 2 eggs, hash browns, unlimited coffee, orange juice and toast.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Clean and I got Starbucks coffee that day in question
    it was terrible coffee.

I've bought grounds before and it was good.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »

I agree. There is no Starbucks near me. I would not have done that anyway. That's just asking for trouble.
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    so it would be a bad idea to field strip your 1911 and stir your coffee with the barrel?
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,047 Senior Member
    The REAL problem with too much Starbucks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KF6tRXpw00
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    I see no problem with Starbucks other than overpriced coffee. A police officer "open carries", yet you won't see them turned away. A citizen who open carries may be miss-thought to be an "official". If you're carrying concealed......then what's the problem? Nobody sees it.

It's the nincompoops who walk in with a carbine slung over their shoulder that create a problem because they don't think about the other 80% of the customer base who are Libtards willing to pay for overpriced coffee.......Don't walk into a Lion's den with a steak draped over your Johnson......or......just use common sense.

I have issue with open carry idiots.........just because the law says you can, doesn't mean its a smart thing to do in an urban environment.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,658 Senior Member
    I support open-carry rights whole-heartedly...not because I have a desire to do it, but because 99% of the people will use common sense in determining when it is or is not a good idea. The other 1% (or whatever) are just attention whores who will do outrageous things, just so people will notice that they exist. As always, anti-gun liberals will not only completely ignore the facts that actually establish what the 'norm' is, and direct everyone's attention onto the exceptions to the rule, and will then use their tried and trued 'spin machine' to make the average person believe that the exception to the rule is actually the norm. They do this on every issue that they choose to engage, and will not engage on any issue that they cannot successfully distort with said 'spin machine.'

Those who ignore this fact provide issues for them to exploit and do more to harm to Constitutional causes than the actual activists who live and breathe the leftist drivel that they espouse. Barry Goldwater said that 'extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue,' .....but...he got killed in the 1964 presidential election when Lyndon Johnson exploited that truism with his atomic bomb image with the little girl and a flower in the foreground. Politicians know all too well that the average citizen doesn't always deal very well with the truth, and have learned to only tell the truths that they are comfortable with, or the lies that they are comfortable with.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Note: Stirring your coffee with the barrel of your 1911 is bad for the barrel and I'm not sure Hoppes is an approved flavor for your coffee at Starbucks. Just saying. :nono: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,464 Senior Member
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    Note: Stirring your coffee with the barrel of your 1911 is bad for the barrel and I'm not sure Hoppes is an approved flavor for your coffee at Starbucks. Just saying. :nono: Later,

True. Besides, that's the only REAL reason to have a full-length guide rod. :spittingcoffee:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,078 Senior Member
    I know at least one open carry advocate who open carries because he cannot get a concealed permit for the state in which he resides. Seems he had applied for his permit but didn't wait until he was approved to start packing...a traffic stop ended up with him getting hit with an unlawful carrying of a concealed weapon charge. So he's very outspoken in that state, one of the leaders of the whole open carry debate... I suspect that he's not the only one in this situation...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,744 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »

Yep, it's the 2A equivalent of gay rights advocates all getting together at a supportive business to start an orgy. It's great to be out and proud, but don't need flaunt it in public. That goes for 2A and gay rights!
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,744 Senior Member

I don't think Starbucks wanted to. If I remember correctly all they said was that they'd follow the law of whatever state they were in and not prohibit carrying firearms in their stores if it was legal in the state. Gun nuts (term applies to these folks at least) took that as an explicit endorsement and ran with it and started essentially hosting open carry political rallies there.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,230 Senior Member
    I do not feel that Starbucks has yet taken a position on this yet and it really looks like they would prefer to stay out of the debate entirely. It is a smart way to do business.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,464 Senior Member
    I do not feel that Starbucks has yet taken a position on this yet and it really looks like they would prefer to stay out of the debate entirely. It is a smart way to do business.

Agreed. I deal with plenty of folks on a daily basis through work that I would more than likely choose NOT to deal with privately. Business is business. I don't have to like my customers, I just have to do a good job for them.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Speaking of open carry enthusiasts- - - -anybody heard from Al lately? He's been sort of conspicuously absent.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite