Home Main Category Hunting

Rant mode on

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberPosts: 7,456 Senior Member
While I have been doing different things today, I have had cable TV hunting programs on.
On at least three programs today, the host will check their sight-in once they arrive at their hunting location, which I believe is a good idea.
The issue though (rant mode :vomit:) is even from a benched position they will be an inch off the bull, and maybe more and turn around and say something like, "It's dead on."
I know most of their shots are close and the vitals large on the animals comparatively speaking, but it still irritates me.
I confess, I am a accuracy nut:usa:
Wow, that was a good catharsis:jester:
Rant mode off.
Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I'd better be 2" or so high at 100 yards to keep the "point blank" correct out past 300, depending on velocity, etc. I'd be VERY disappointed if a rifle I'd sighted in was dead on at 100 unless I was punching paper (BOOOOORING) at that specific range!
    Jerry
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,456 Senior Member
    understood.
    These impacts were not that 1", 1.5" or 2" high at 100 yards, that many use.
    These were right or left of center, and the last two were below the bullseye and then off to the right or left.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    I've noticed that as well Ernie....the other thing I hate about these shows is the head-banging background music...in a few of them, it even drowns out the commentary...just don't watch those shows much anymore...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Unless there's a nasty crosswind or unpredictable gusts, random right/left errors are just lousy shooting or the result of an improperly-bedded rifle. When I was getting ready for a canned hog hunt in east Tennessee a few years back, I was shooting sub-1" 75-yard groups with a .35 Remington Marlin 336- - - - -with iron sights! The guides won a few bucks from some of the guys at the camp range, betting on me!
    Jerry
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Agreed. It's silly.

While I get the reason of sighting in a bit high at 100, I don't. I guess I should, but I've just always gave it some Missouri elevation if need be. Of course, if I ever get multiple shots at a deer over 100 yards, I'll eat my hat.

FIFY
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    understood.
    These impacts were not that 1", 1.5" or 2" high at 100 yards, that many use.
    These were right or left of center, and the last two were below the bullseye and then off to the right or left.

Yep, mine are 1.5-2 inches high at one hundred. Even on my slightly sloppy hunting rifles if they're more than about 1/4 inch to one side or the other, I will crank em over just enough to where they're in there within 1/4 inch right or left of center. On my centerfire 22s I put em dead on. Of course my Stevens 200 in .223 will group no tighter than 1.5-2.5. But I still try to get it as close as I can, even though I don't shoot at anything past 400 yards tops.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    I'll even go so far as to say that a 100 yard zero with any "hunting" rifle is silly.

Even if you live back east in the thick hairy stuff, a 200 yard zero (~1.25"-1.75" high at 100 for most chamberings/loads) won't put you out of contention with any shot at big game out to around 300 yards.

With a 100 yard zero, you may well start running into issues shy of 200.

And in the open areas of the west, I've found a 250 yard zero to be pretty much perfect. That's about as far out as you can zero most loads without having to worry about overshooting your target at the mid range. Don't ask me how I learned that, but it was pretty tragic.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I've used 3" high at 100 for years. I guess 'cause when I started out with a .30 '06 that worked for MPBR. Anyway, the rant I have and this is not directed at Ernie or anyone else who really knows their business. But this business in all the magazines about shooting at critters way on out there is just unethical IMHO. If they're going to write about such things there should be a big fat disclaimer about being trained and well practiced in such shooting. I've found to many rotting Elk in the Rockies to be persuaded otherwise. And i've seen how little a target looks at 400 yards even at 9x.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    Give them some slack. Its probably the first time they've shot the gun since the factory rep sighted it in for them.
    justin10mm wrote: »
    Give them some slack. Its probably the first time they've shot the gun since the factory rep sighted it in for them.

:spittingcoffee:
    Anyway, the rant I have and this is not directed at Ernie or anyone else who really knows their business. But this business in all the magazines about shooting at critters way on out there is just unethical IMHO. If they're going to write about such things there should be a big fat disclaimer about being trained and well practiced in such shooting. I've found to many rotting Elk in the Rockies to be persuaded otherwise. And i've seen how little a target looks at 400 yards even at 9x.

I Agree!
    I would add, "To slob shooters, regardless of the distance."
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    All of my rigs are zeroed at 100 yards:cool2::cool2:
    Linefinder wrote: »
    I'll even go so far as to say that a 100 yard zero with any "hunting" rifle is silly.Mike
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,074 Senior Member
    I'll even go so far as to say that a 100 yard zero with any "hunting" rifle is silly.

Mike
    Well my friend, I must be "silly" :silly:
    Where I hunt, a 125 yard shot is a STRETCH and my absolute longest measured shot was a LASERED117 yards.

The only 2 rifles I'll take if a longer shot is even a REMOTE possibility are my Grendel or 670A 30-06 I have a come ups chart for the Grendel and I purposely worked up my 06 load to be a REALLY close match to the Ballisti-plex reticle on it. At the 100 yard increments, I'm within 1.5" +/- of the reticle (range tested & verified).

The other one that MIGHT be shot at distance is my XP, and with a 100 yard zero, where the Duplex widens out is dead on @ 300 and I split the difference @ 200
    :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    I can't watch a TV Hunting Show without vomiting.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

It's not nice to poke fun at us mere mortals:jester:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member

Most of my scopes have target turrets and a 100 yard zero. I need more.........I dial up.

Non-Target Turret scopes get a high zero at 100.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,823 Senior Member
    I can't stand any of those butt clowns on the sports channels, they are just big boy toy commercials. Most of them couldn't track an elk if was in the sleeping bag with them!!
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I purposely worked up my 06 load to be a REALLY close match to the Ballisti-plex reticle on it. At the 100 yard increments, I'm within 1.5" +/- of the reticle (range tested & verified).
    To be honest, I've actually on verified it to 510 yards
    but then a 208 A-max isn't good for game anyway :tooth:
    :stirsthepot-runs&hides:

Ernie, I agree with you about the idiots on most of the hunting shows. That's why I can RARELY bring myself to watch them :nono:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    I find all the fist bumping, scripted excitement, and worn out dialogue most annoying.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
    41magnut wrote: »
    I find all the fist bumping, scripted excitement, and worn out dialogue most annoying.

Agreed!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I'd better be 2" or so high at 100 yards to keep the "point blank" correct out past 300, depending on velocity, etc. I'd be VERY disappointed if a rifle I'd sighted in was dead on at 100 unless I was punching paper (BOOOOORING) at that specific range!
    Jerry

:that: I'm agitated if I'm left or right and it's not my fault or the wind. I can accept 1" groups in a hunting rifle but they need to be touching with my AR's, no excuse for them not to be.

P.S. hunting shows suck
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • Randy CRandy C Member Posts: 36 Member
    I set my 308 at 1 inch high at 100yds my driveway is a 100yds long. I have had a lot of good shots at 350 to 500yds and I would be setting behind a hay bail but I wont shoot I don't want to go looking for my deer or wound a deer. I've shot 1 deer out at about 300yds most are 200 or less. They all drop in there tracks, this has worked for me. I have not watched a hunting show in years I don't have time.
    Randy
    I never realized so many of you guys were silly.

Well.....really I have. Just not in a sighting in way.

Mike
    N454casull
    There are reasons why I choose to use a 100 yard zero.
    One, if something is 200 yards or under I just put it on it and kill it.
    If I have three or 3 1/2 inch high at 100 yards and that can create a problem if something is really close then I have to think about actually holding low on the animal.
    So if something is close, I don't have to think put it on the animal kill it.
    If Something is further, I either dial the distance or I have an MOA reticle that is listed internally and hold the correct line and kill it.
    Since I do not worry about maximum point-blank range all of my guns have exactly the same zero 100 yards.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I guess I should qualify my previous completely arrogant pontification............

I own one hunting rifle that doesn't have quick adjust turrets. It gets zeroed at 250.

All the others have quick adjust turrets. They are baselined at 100 yards. If necessary, I dial up.

To do otherwise would be not just silly, but foolish.

Mike
    N454casull
    I own one hunting rifle that doesn't have quick adjust turrets.

Mike
    And mine has a Ballisti-plex reticle and a load specifically worked up to match the reticle :p

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,858 Senior Member
    I tend to think any time a shooter uses scopes with adjustable turrets or a scope with multiple markings for distance on the reticle, you set your baseline, which would probably be 100 yards, and you make your range corrections according to your particular setup. For my use, using a scope with no adjustable turrets and a single point reticle, I zero at 1.5 inches high at 100 yards on my rifles. If I take my .243 Win, I know with my 105 Amax load it will be dead on at 200. From 25 yards to at least 250 yards, I don't have to make any corrections for elevation. I have not evolved much when it comes to scopes. One of these days I'll work a little more on the longer distance shooting, adjustable turrets and such. For now, I only have a handful of kills past 200 yards and they were on varmints. So I tend to work with what I've got and within the of limits my equipment.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    I guess I should qualify my previous completely arrogant pontification............

I own one hunting rifle that doesn't have quick adjust turrets. It gets zeroed at 250.

All the others have quick adjust turrets. They are baselined at 100 yards. If necessary, I dial up.

To do otherwise would be not just silly, but foolish.

Mike

Does the one rifle chambering start with a 2 and end with...

...seventy? :confused:
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I sight in at 100 yards and know the reference points on my BDC reticle for 200 and 300 yards. I also know my trajectory, out to 300 yards, in case I prefer to hold over.