Gunsmiths, can the trigger on a Winchester 190 be improved?

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,788 Senior Member
My first gun, a Winchester 190, sits lonely in my safe because it has such a bad trigger. I have done some google searchs and I get a lot of answers that include, "clean the trigger group", "it's not worth bothering over, "get a 10/22 instead", "those 1970's guns are hard to work on", etc...

Clearly this one has sentimental value to me. I have owned now for 37 years and counting, and I cannot bring myself to sell it. I have honestly tried to, but just cannot let go of it.

So, how can I improve this trigger, or who can I send it to that can reliably do this?

Thanks!

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    Anything is possible with enough time and money.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,801 Senior Member
    You can stone the sear and trigger mating surfaces to smooth out the trigger. Don't mess with the disconnector spring; it's permanently mounted and riveted in place. Stoning and polishing the surfaces will help a lot in smoothing the trigger pull, but not much can be done to reduce trigger pull due to design. The hammer spring resembles the one in an AR trigger group. Not much can be done to lighten it up to reduce it's pressure on the sear/disconnector. A new hammer spring can be wound from lighter spring wire; leader wire of the right diameter will work in a pinch if you want to go that route.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    I am totaly not qualified to do this, but it is EASY to knock out the trigger group and send it to someone. I am glad to do this and pay a reasonable fee. I just would like someone that has done it before since it appears to be not that easy.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    I don't know if this will help but:

http://www.swishercs.com/winchester
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    That is awesome!!! Sadly even with those diagrams and pitures fixing that trigger is beyond me.

D
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    That is awesome!!! Sadly even with those diagrams and pitures fixing that trigger is beyond me.

D

......................I checked a few other sites on the web about the Winchester 190 triggers, and the overall consenses was they ain't that much that can be done to it or with it.. But thats not to say ya can't lighten up that trigger pull... I would suggest that either Teach, or Calbib give ya some pointers on this or let them actually fix it for ya.... I know some LGS gunsmiths won't even take a job like that on, most I have talked to just say thats the way Winchester made it and by design default they ain't much can be done with it.??
    "It is what it is":usa: