Home Main Category Hunting

Todays hunt report........caution, gory pics.....(120g Sierra results Paul )

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 8,111 Senior Member
Was hunting with Bloodhound today. Following a horrendous electrical storm and torrential rain last night I think the deer decided to sleep in. BH only saw one deer in the morning and didn't get a shot. I saw about 5 including one buck which was around 220yds away. Found myself a rest and waited for the opportunity to take the shot. Just as I started to squeeze the trigger another hunter fired a shot some distance away and I swear the buck jumped about 8' into the air before hitting the ground with his afterburners lit.

After having lunch we headed to an area that has, in the past held deer. Didn't see anything for the first couple of hours ( we were sweeping the area about 100yds apart). Came across a nice native bush area when we met up and about a minute later we sprung 3 does. I lined up the second as it was walking but it decided to stop behind a bush and all I could see was the line of its back and its tail. Was waiting for it to step out when 'CRACK'..... BH took the 3rd animal with a shot from behind.

I had given him a couple of my 120gr Sierra loads ( They shoot to the same POI in his Sako 75 as they do in my T3 Lite.......about an 1 1/2" high at 100yds)
The animal dropped on the spot.

Here is a pic of the first shot and the damage it caused.............CAUTION Blood!!!!

Woodhilllastday2013040_zpsaa3d6adb.jpg

As you can see the bullet expanded very quickly and almost destroyed the right rear leg before continuing into the chest.

After he field dressed it he made it into a 'pack' and carried it out............... I continued hunting.

I came across an area which showed a lot of fresh sign and went into super stealth mode and started to track 2 sets of prints. I lost them a couple of times but figured out where the 2 animals were heading so continued stalking in their direction, picking up their tracks every now and then. As I came over a rise in thick bush I looked down into a gully which had a small stream running through it. At first I couldn't see anything ( the sun was low and I was looking from a lit area down into a shaded dark gully but then a tiny movement caught my eye so I slowly raised the rifle and looked through the scope. ( Its a VX3L 3.5-10X50 and I was impressed once again with its light gathering capabilities)

As soon as I looked into the scope I could make out a deer with its back to me on the banks of the stream. Another movement slightly to its left revealed a second deer with its head down drinking. After gently easing the safety off I waited for the right hand deer to lift its head. It not only lifted its head but turned it to its right and I sent the 120gr Sierra on its way. It dropped on the spot.

Here is a pic I took back at the Jeep of the deer and the Tikka.................Note the lack of damage to the animal.

Woodhilllastday2013055_zps338cbe34.jpg

However, the above pic is of the good side.........................Here is a pic I took where it had fallen.....................Its brains were spread all over the ground and in the stream.

Woodhilllastday2013045_zps81161fa4.jpg

..............And here is one when I turned the head over...................( Yes, that's its ear hanging halfway down its neck)

Woodhilllastday2013047_zps106972a1.jpg

Here is a closeup of the head. The skull cavity was completely shattered and vaporised on the exit side and the brains were scattered in the stream...... talk about a lobotomy.

Woodhilllastday2013053_zpsd3772873.jpg

Did I mention that I ranged the shot after the deer was taken and it was 20yds!!!!!!!

Neither animal had a clue that death was almost within touching distance........As I have said before, I love stalking animals and got a real buzz from taking this one that close.

I must admit Paul, I am having some doubts about the 120gr Sierra...............With both of todays deer it seemed to expand 'explosively' ( if I can put it that way). Both deer died 'on the spot' but the damage, especially to the 1st animal was quite extensive. It would be interesting to see the results and expansion in, for example, wet newsprint ( hint, hint.) For head and neck shots it is impressive...........but I have yet to see what it will do with, for example, a shoulder shot involving bone.............
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,095 Senior Member
    THANK YOU!!!!! :worthy:

Considering the difference in MV between your 7-08 rifle and my 7mmIHMSA, your results show me it should be nearly "perfect" for my planned use.

Thank you again :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,011 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Woodhilllastday2013040_zpsaa3d6adb.jpg

Entrance?
    Exit (if any)?
    Penetration?
    Recovered bullet?
    Organs hit?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Entrance?
    Exit (if any)?
    Penetration?
    Recovered bullet?
    Organs hit?

Entrance is where the tip of the knife blade is. Bullet appeared to have broken up. Not sure if that was caused by hitting bone or due to velocity. If you increase the magnification of the pic you will see a sliver of the bullet recovered sitting on the skin just above and to the left of the knife point. Don't know where the rest of it is............the deers belly was opened by some of the remainder as its stomach contents were 'hanging out'. Fragments appeared to reached the lungs as there was some damage.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,011 Senior Member
    If the bullet reached the lungs, I'd say that's stellar performance for a light bullet given the direction of travel.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,714 Senior Member
    Here is a pic I took back at the Jeep of the deer and the Tikka.................Note the lack of damage to the animal.
    What do you mean, you shot it right out of it's trotters.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,856 Senior Member
    Dead is dead.....on the spot even better. Meat for the skillet!

How heavy are those deer you're shooting?

Bellcat
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    bellcat wrote: »
    Dead is dead.....on the spot even better. Meat for the skillet!

How heavy are those deer you're shooting?

Bellcat

Does are 30-50 kg (65-110lb roughly) Bucks are 60-100kg ( about 125-220lb approx.)
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    That first one looks like a classic "Texas heart shot"!
    Jerry