Funding bill politics, excellent analysis

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
Here's the link to an excellent, play-by-play analysis and explanation of the current debate in the congress related to government funding and the healthcare spending. The article provides a timetable and explains procedural rules that really make the mechanics of the issue clear. It does not however take sides.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09/23/guide-to-capitol-hill-stand-off-over-defunding-obamacare/?intcmp=latestnews

My analysis? Although the House may fail to defund Obamacare via this tactic, the reps have done exactly what they were elected and what they were asked to do... they've passed a spending bill (all spending bills have to originate in the House) that provides total spending on all other items, but defunds the Obamacare items.

Whether this succeeds in maybe causing the Senate and of course the Obama Regime to allow amendments to the health care portion of the bill, enough to get it passed, remains to be seen.

October 1 is the deadline for a government "shutdown" (not really such, essential services keep running), and this will be played by the press and Regime as all Republican evil deeds. But the press ALREADY does that anyway, so there's really no loss.

The big questions are this: 1) will the debate and defunding force the Regime to allow certain changes to Obamacare to get the spending bill passed? and 2) how will the voters view this standoff next November?

I really don't think either question can be answered yet. But the Republicans who were elected who've promised to alter Obamacare are doing their best, at the very least.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Replies

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,053 Senior Member
    :that:
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Could someone with more knowledge of health care insurance and funding please see what is wrong with my observations regarding to govt sponsored healthcare? As per...

Let's assume that we want to ensure that nobody goes without good healthcare in the USA, regardless of income. This would be due to our general wish to look after those less fortunate. I know that there are those who don't think we as a govt need to EVER take care of ANY person who's in need, and instead rely totally on relatives or the person's own resources. Each for himself. I won't debate this here, because I simply don't agree with leaving people in need in this rich country -- IF that person is in genuine need and passes a means test. Okay so far?

Now, assuming that we DO take care of those in need medically, after we ensure a decent means test, I have a very simple solution, one that "seems" easy and logical, so I just want someone to comment on my ideas:

First, the topic we see these days is health care "insurance" such as an actual insurance policy, like you'd have on your car. The term "insurance" is in fact misleading. What you really need is some means to pay for high cost health care that you cannot afford out of pocket. If you're working for a generous company or a good government agency, then you may be given coverage via an insurance policy, true, but if you don't have a "policy" what you really don't need is a policy, you need help paying for the bill.

My plan: You get sick and go to the doctor or the ER. If you've got a policy and your bill is paid, find. If you can afford it, fine. If you cannot afford, then you're required to pay as much as your means test says, and the government reimburses the doc or the ER for that unpaid care. Period.

ANY doctor who's in public business and taking on patients is required by law to see any walk-in patient IF the doc's schedule permits. If you're on welfare or you're retired or you're broke, you cannot be turned away from ANY doctor just because you cannot pay. You CAN be turned away if the doc is full up, if the doc's specialty isn't your illness, etc.

The doc can then bill you for care, or bill the govt directly, paperwork details to be worked out. This is where a universal healthcare ID card is helpful. Most of us who're covered by an insurance policy, like Prudential. Those of us on Medicare have a 3rd party insurance company who handles this, on behalf of the govt. We have a co-pay that we need to pay ourselves, just like those who're covered by a corporate insurance policy. And all of us with coverage have an ID card.

So those who cannot show "coverage" get a govt ID card, a sort of "universal" medicare card. The patient presents the card to the doc, the doc runs the card, the govt pays most of it, the patient pays the rest. Sure, sometimes the doc has problems collecting the co-pay but that's how it's been forever, people not paying their bills. It won't change a bit with my "plan".

Hospitals the same. You go to the ER and you get treated if you're needing emergency care. BUT, and this is what is greatly hurting ERs today -- people swarm into the ER with a cold or a small shoulder sprain are sapping the true ER use, which is critical injuries.

So... All hospitals have attached clinics or are tied with clinics, right? We therefore send these folks past a screening process and on to a clinic, or they can go there directly. Everyone gets initial free treatment. And as anybody who works in healthcare can tell you, NO ONE is turned away today due to lack of pay. It's simply not true. People are not sent packing if they don't have "insurance" at the ER. The big problem is that walk-in patients who don't have a regular MD to see for general stuff head to the ER for free and decent care, which overloads the ER.

IF however we immediately send those folks to a clinic, a non-emergency place, they'll quickly get the message that they will get care although not at the ER. And eventually, even dumbos will figure out that the'll get faster and less invasive care at the clinic or at the regular MD office.

It's all based, as I see it, on a simple means test. Of COURSE you get treated for any emergency right away. Of COURSE you get deeper care if you cannot afford it, but then you've got to pass a means test and have an ID and so on. Illegals need not apply, maybe?

My whole point is that there's no reason to not use our existing healthcare system, private MDs, and general clinics. What is needed is a simple, govt-run system for picking up the costs for those who cannot afford it or who don't have insurance.

I fail to see what's so hard about this.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,765 Senior Member
    Make sure the military gets paid; make sure the gov't employees get paid; make sure the SS checks go out; the rest of the government INCLUDING CONGRESS, POTUS AND STAFF can suck hind teat on a boar hog until they straighten the mess out. Wouldn't take long under those conditions to get off their dear rear ends and heave up onto their dying feet to make things right, and the people actually producing actual work would get paid in the interim.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,725 Senior Member
    Nobody I have talked to has seen a fee schedule, not a chiropractor, MD, or pharmacist, you talk about your universal heath care and happy thoughts all you want, I am not working for free, I already work for free too much with Medicare, Medical Assistance(medicaid in MN), and MinnesotaCare(insurance people "buy" in MN if their income levels qualify them, it is subsidized by a 1 1/2% tax I pay)plenty of abuse in MNCare.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I don't know about working for free. I do know most physicians have a sliding scale for their fees and will take on pro bono patients. If you're in private practice you'll get a certain number of skips, and that is common for any service-oriented job. If you're working for someone else, you should get paid regardless.

Abuse of a law or govt program is no reason to blame the program, just its administration. The program itself may be a great idea regardless.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,053 Senior Member
    The way that this administration gives government benefits away like candy on Halloween shows that they can't be trusted to administer a gigantic program like the healthcare system. The current benefits system is loaded with billion$ in fraud and abuse. I don't trust these eh-holes to make it any better.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    The way that this administration gives government benefits away like candy on Halloween shows that they can't be trusted to administer a gigantic program like the healthcare system. The current benefits system is loaded with billion$ in fraud and abuse. I don't trust these eh-holes to make it any better.

Oh, you're so correct and I totally agree with you on that. It's making the healthcare laws so complex that engenders fraud and overspending. The simpler the law, the easier it is to administer fairly and competently. I'm just trying to separate the purpose and intent of a law from the excess and fraud attached. But you're right that our current Regime is incapable of doing anything honest.

btw, I emailed my US Senator Ted Cruz and told him that I supported his actions, and that he didn't need to ask Karl Rove's permission.