Live on CSPAN: Ted Cruz Filibuster

JermanatorJermanator Senior MemberPosts: 15,053 Senior Member
He started at about 2:30pm ET on today, Tuesday, 9/24...

http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN2/

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,668 Senior Member
    :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    Not technically a filibuster, but he is making a stand and it needs to happen.
    6 hours.
    Dick Durbin is getting up to yap some. This is getting good.
    These Tea Party types were brought in to do something, anything that they could do to try and make a difference. If it is just to stir the poop it is a start and it has to start somewhere. Hopefully, eventually, something good comes from it.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,019 Senior Member
    Cruz is urinating in the wind...it won't accomplish a thing I'm afraid. The rest of the Repubs are spineless weasels.
    Cruz is urinating in the wind...it won't accomplish a thing I'm afraid.
    He is generating public awareness and sending the message that there will at least be a fight of some sort. It probably won't accomplish anything but I can at least say that my voice got heard through him.
    12 hours.
    Green Eggs and Ham...
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    These Tea Party types...

"These Tea Party types" are all we've got. Every other Republican is going to bend over and grab his ankles, rather than upset the status quo. The fact that they are hated and reviled by Democrats and excoriated in the media should tell you that they are afraid of them, and the grass roots support that they can bring to bear, if citizens ever wake up to what's happening in this country.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,051 Senior Member
    A few things...
    1. It's not a filibuster, as it's not going to delay the vote. At least that's what I'm hearing and reading.
    2. If it's not going to delay the vote, then what's the point of going nigh on 18 1/2 hours (at the time of my posting) if it's not going to really stop anything? Is really trying to make a statement, or has it gone into political grandstanding? (I'm not trying to start an argument and hate to sound cynical, but when Rand Paul's wondering what's the point, well, I have to wonder....)
    3. Even if the government shuts down, from what I've read Obamacare will still be implemented due to its funding methodology.
    4. Used the be the POTUS used to call it "the Affordable Care Act" and avoided all use of the word "Obamacare." Now he's using that term himself. Wonder if he really thinks he delivered this baby?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,019 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    He is generating public awareness and sending the message that there will at least be a fight of some sort. It probably won't accomplish anything but I can at least say that my voice got heard through him.

Agreed Jerm...he's our only voice. The guy is like the "Energizer Bunny" he just keeps on going!
    2. If it's not going to delay the vote, then what's the point of going nigh on 18 1/2 hours (at the time of my posting) if it's not going to really stop anything? Is really trying to make a statement, or has it gone into political grandstanding? (I'm not trying to start an argument and hate to sound cynical, but when Rand Paul's wondering what's the point, well, I have to wonder....)

Of course it is political grandstanding, as was Rand Paul's filibuster, and almost any other filibuster. Rand Paul made a good point, but he also doesn't want the same significance attached to this as was attached to his real filibuster. Rand Paul is a good guy, I think, but he can't mind this campaign to discredit Cruz, being carried out by Democrats, all of the media, and the chickenshirt branch of the Republican Party...just in case they are going to face off in a primary in a couple of years.

Cruz is definitely 'tilting at windmills,' here, but we need some of that to try to rally the public. It's ridiculous that the majority of people oppose Obamacare, yet our elected leaders not only won't fight hard enough to get rid of it, but they also take the Obama exemptions that prevent themselves and their staffs from being forced into Obamacare...like the rest of us.

As a junior Senator, there is little he can do to prove to his constituents that he means what he said during the campaign, other than something like this. As one of those constituents, I appreciate the effort, however futile. I would have liked to see the other Senator from Texas, Cornyn support him, but he's an establishment Republican whenever no one is looking. Jeff Sessions (Alabama) did come over, for basically the same reasons I stated. Everyone else is just waiting for Harry Reid to skin them all, again, so they can whine about it on the Sunday shows for one day and then go on about their business as usual.
    Regardless, if they are going to put it to us, I am not asking them to squeal like a pig, but at least a moan would show some passion.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,057 Senior Member
    Cruz and the other TEA party types at least have some backbone. I applaud his efforts, even if they are useless. The rest of them are spineless. If all the Republicans voted no on "Motion To Proceed" there might actually be a chance on getting somewhere on this, but some of them will cave to the Progressives, unfortunately.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    In honor of Senator Cruz reading "Green Eggs and Ham" to his kids during the filibuster,I respectfully submit the following

I do not like this Uncle Sam,
    I do not like his health care scam.
    I do not like these dirty crooks,
    or how they lie and cook the books!!
    I do not like when Congress steals,
    I do not like their secret deals.
    I do not like this speaker, Nan,
    I do not like this, 'YES WE CAN'!!
    I do not like this spending spree,
    I'm smart, I know that nothing's free.
    I do not like their smug replies,
    when I complain about their lies.
    I do not like this kind of hope,
    I do not like it, NOPE, NOPE, NOPE!!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I sent Cruz a support email, urging him to keep the hammer down and to not yield, even though he didn't ask Karl Rove's permission.

I happened to catch the entire radio interview of Cruz on Limbaugh this afternoon, just after his long speech. Cruz was articulate, smart, and spot on! Here's the link to Rush's transcript, and I recommend those who've got doubts about Cruz, read this:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/09/25/senator_cruz_continues_the_filibuster_on_eib

Gang, we CAN do this! It takes time but it can be done. When Cruz, a declared and admitted Teaparty guy, tried to get the nomination, he was opposed by Texan David Dewhurst (actually a pretty decent dude and definitely not a Rino, but clearly not as conservative as Cruz). Dewhurst spent millions of his own wealth in the campaign, and "experts" said Cruz didn't have a chance for the nomination. Guess what? He won easily.

So then the "experts" warned that a real conservative Teaparty loyalist like Cruz would go down in defeat in the general election to a Demo, and guess what? When Obama won with a big margin and carried in lots of Demos on his coattails, Cruz, instead, walloped the Democrat!

Now we've got a REAL Teaparty conservative in the Senate and he's NOT afraid to do what we voters in Texas asked him to do.

Let this be a big lesson to you. You CAN toss out Rinos next year. Find a good, honest, and smart conservative and support him or her. Contribute to the campaign. Volunteer for a call bank. Support REAL conservative Republicans and take our party back! We can do it. Cruz is a perfect example. If you live in an area that has a HOPE of electing a conservative, get behind a good conservative in your district and fight for that.

It does take time... Here's an example about Texas, and yeah, I've talked about this before, but it bears repeating for those who are ready to abandon the Republican party. Remember that "they" in DC only THINK the party is theirs. YOU are actually the power. It is YOUR party and you can take it back if necessary, and if you join others. Believe me, either sitting home or voting write-in or libertarian is a protest vote but it has ZERO effect. The REAL battle is within your party, the Republican party, as you need to ensure that it turns back into a correct, conservative, and responsive party and not some Rino jerk country club rich kid debating society.

A bit of fairly recent Texas history, to illustrate... We had Demo Gov Ann Richards. She was a "moderate" Demo (very few genuine liberal Demos in Texas) and she was smart and honest, no corruption, so she was reasonably popular. Until the concealed handgun license (CHL) bill, which the Tx legislature sent to her and she vetoed. She even vetoed a referendum on CHL.

Enter George Bush who vowed to sign the law the second it hit his desk if he were elected governor. And due to mostly this, and a general conservative surge, Bush won, signed the CHL bill, went on to be Prez.

But maybe more important was that his election also ushered in a 100% Republican administration, ALL state offices going to Reps. And then, as a result of this new control, redistricting was passed -- the demographics had swung largely to Republicans in the previous 10 years but the Demos had blocked all redrawing of boundaries. I was, for example, represented by the delightful Sheila Jackson Lee! Arrrgh...

But after redistricting, my new rep was John Culberson, a solid conservative Republican in the US House. And, later, due to an even stronger Republican showing in later elections, a NEW redistricting was passed, increasing the number of Republican districts even more. I'm now represented by Ted Poe, another conservative.

NONE of this would have been possible if we conservative Republicans had not stood firm and supported conservatives, with contributions, working in campaigns, and our votes. If we had opted to stay home or vote for libertarians, we would not have a strong Republican controlled state, easily the largest conservative voice in the USA.

You CAN do it, gang. Unless you unfortunately live in a totally Democrat controlled district, you CAN nominate and then elect good conservatives who will carry the message.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    I worry about folks who think Ann Richards was an honest politician, but I won't belabor the point, at this late date. I agree that the CHL debate probably put GWB over the top and launched his political career as a 'conservative populist.' But, he had a good strategy in other regards, as well - mainly, to keep it simple and stick to topics that he genuinely cared about and not allow bait and switch political tactics to force him into defending positions that he really didn't care much about.

Most notable about Cruz's twenty-something hour speech was that he needed no teleprompter and very few notes on the subject - very refreshing, coming from a young politician, and impressive, in that he made no major gaffes for the jackals to pounce upon. This is a person who knows what he thinks, believes it, and makes no apology for saying it straight out, without expressing bitterness towards his opponents and without insulting the folks who support the other side of this issue. This is the right issue for him, and he knows the material, inside and out.

I understand the arguments by the Republicans who oppose him. They may even be right - but I'm tired of the defeatist attitude toward doing business with their political enemies, and I'm ready to embrace any among them who are ready to oppose that enemy at every turn. The Democrats, in general, and Obama, in particular, have a goal of destroying every conservative, and they care more about that than defeating terrorism, toppling vicious dictators, and rescuing the economy. I'm sick of guys like McCain and Graham playing games with people who work tirelessly to make sure that we continue this slide into mediocrity.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    What you said, bis, is quite true about Cruz' speech and his general attitude. He was superb on Limbaugh too, just after his marathon, no flubs, no misses, articulate and smart.

I also agree about being forthright and opposing the Democrats. As you say, they never back off from denigrating Republicans, and although we need to stick to the high side and not use insults, backing down is not something that we need to do nowdays.

I'm not too cognizant of the past and could be wrong but I can't remember anything corrupt that Demo Ann Richards did. She was just a typical Democrat, is all.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx