Home Main Category Hunting

Blind heater for high elevation

ken55ken55 Senior MemberPosts: 782 Senior Member
I am going to have some mobility problems this season - knee getting replaced - and I'm going to have to sit in a blind most of the day. I'll be at 10k ft in mid-November; good chance of it being zero or below until the sun gets up. Does anybody know of a small heater that will work at that elevation. The little buddy heater instructions say they don't work above7k. Maybe I'll just man up and hack it but a little warmth might be nice. Any ideas?

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I use one of these when the weather gets nasty. I've got a 2-person canvas-enclosed deer blind that sits on a steel tripod, and with the catalytic heater on the floor, it gets uncomfortably warm in a hurry. I fire it up for about 10-15 minutes an hour, and it provides plenty of heat, even in below-freezing temperatures. A small Propane bottle will last all day and then some.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleman-Black-Cat-Portable-Catalytic-Space-Heater-For-Tent-Indoor-Use-NEW-/300972953658?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461362d03a

Jerry
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    I would suggest the small Coleman one burner backpackers stove , weights about 1 1/2 pounds with fuel, i've used it up to about 13,000' . It uses Coleman fuel, but im sure there making them now that uses one of the small propane tanks, that would weigh less than the fuel model.

You have to realize that having an open flame up in a tree stand or a ground blind is not the smartest thing to do, that said if your stand or blind has a solid base and the stove cant be knocked over it should work fine.

Good luck

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,983 Senior Member
    Well, there's always spooning.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,917 Senior Member
    Back when I was duck hunting a lot we used a heater made out of a couple of coffee cans and charcoal briquets......as long as your blind is well ventilated, the threat of suffocation isn't a big deal...does to keep your hands and feet warm....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Well, there's always spooning.

You and who?? I think I will sleep on that tonight.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I use one of these when the weather gets nasty. I've got a 2-person canvas-enclosed deer blind that sits on a steel tripod, and with the catalytic heater on the floor, it gets uncomfortably warm in a hurry. I fire it up for about 10-15 minutes an hour, and it provides plenty of heat, even in below-freezing temperatures. A small Propane bottle will last all day and then some.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleman-Black-Cat-Portable-Catalytic-Space-Heater-For-Tent-Indoor-Use-NEW-/300972953658?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461362d03a

Jerry

:that: I've got one of those, it does a good job.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    I have one of the old "Buddy Heater", heaters. It has two settings, high and low, that work very well in those situations. I bought the opional converter hose, to hook up to a regular propane tank. Then i bought a 5 pound propane tank, to go wth it. I have used it for 3 years, and it hasn't ran out yet. Buddy Heater, now makes one, with the 5 pound tank stored inside of it......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    What about one of these...............a 12volt electric heated blanket

http://www.amazon.com/Heated-Fleece-Travel-Electric-Blanket/dp/B000V8QVX6

Stick a 12v battery at the base of the tree or next to the blind and run a lead to your position. Get a solar panel to keep the battery charged.

Once it is heated up it should retain heat for a reasonable time.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    careful, Alec- - - -if he gets too comfortable, the snoring will spook all the deer in the neighborhood!
    :jester:
    Jerry
    Don't you know that snoring is actually a buck-call? How many illustrations have you seen in Field and Stream and Outdoor Life of the snoozing hunter with the deer walking right by..........it works!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • ken55ken55 Senior Member Posts: 782 Senior Member
    Okay, thanks everybody. I checked with my hunting buddy about the spooning suggestion and he said some very rude things so that's not gonna happen. (Whew!)

It's the O2 sensor on the Little Buddy that defeats them at high altitude. Supposed to be a safety feature but the oxygen is low at that elevation so it kind spoofs the sensor into shutting the heater down, or so I read and am told. I'll find something else or just use the little chemical heating thingies. It was more fun when my knee worked but there it is. I plan on being nice and comfy while I'm waiting for the dumbest elk in the Rockies to wander by. :tooth:
    The Coleman catalytic heater works at high elevation and have used it camping up on Tin Cup pass. Is your blind set up around where they water, or on a route they use between feeding and bedding?
    The Coleman catalytic heater works at high elevation and have used it camping up on Tin Cup pass. Is your blind set up around where they water, or on a route they use between feeding and bedding?

Thanks - Tin Cup is higher than where I'm going to be so that should work. I'm with several other hunters - also in blinds - and we plan to catch them coming from water & feed back to a bedding area. I've watched them do this and have good spots picked out.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    ken55 wrote: »
    Okay, thanks everybody. I checked with my hunting buddy about the spooning suggestion and he said some very rude things so that's not gonna happen. (Whew!)

It's the O2 sensor on the Little Buddy that defeats them at high altitude. Supposed to be a safety feature but the oxygen is low at that elevation so it kind spoofs the sensor into shutting the heater down, or so I read and am told. I'll find something else or just use the little chemical heating thingies. It was more fun when my knee worked but there it is. I plan on being nice and comfy while I'm waiting for the dumbest elk in the Rockies to wander by. :tooth:

I would think the electric solutions would have less scent.

On a different note. You have a bum knee and you have just shot an 600 to 1000 pound bull elk above 10,000 ft elevation in the woods.... now what?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »

On a different note. You have a bum knee and you have just shot an 600 to 1000 pound bull elk above 10,000 ft elevation in the woods.... now what?

D

Gut it and crawl inside the empty cavity to get warm....................
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    BigDanS wrote: »

D

And that's why I have hunting partners! :tooth: Getting an elk out by yourself is a challenge under the best of conditions so hunting partners and either a all-terrain or horses are a good idea to have available. We'll have both. Elk hunting in the Rockies is a great adventure but easy it ain't.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    You don't have to be at 11,000 feet to get cold. Down here on the Texas Coast there's little to block the wind. A 40 MPH wind with 70% humidity will push the cold right through your bones, even at or above ambient temperatures of 40 degrees Fahrenheit. People die on these bays every winter because they don't respect the elements. Hypothermia can kill you when the conditions are right with seemingly warm temperatures. A good blind heater is worth its weight in gold.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.