Only SEALS are qualified enough....

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 4,714 Senior Member
Gabriel Gomez, wannabe US Senator.

My opposition to banning assault weapons and high capacity magazines was based on my experience as a platoon commander and as a member of the US Navy SEALs. My fellow SEAL team members are the most highly trained, professional warriors in the world.

Navy SEALs can handle assault weapons and high capacity magazines with complete competency and safety. Others cannot. I can show virtually anybody how to change a high capacity magazine clip in five seconds. But that does not mean virtually anybody should have one.

To the professional political critics, I simply offer this: volunteer for the Navy or for the other armed services, successfully go through SEAL or other special forces training. Then you will be fully qualified and prepared to fire as many assault weapons with unlimited high capacity magazines as you desire.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2013/09/24/podium-gomez/uaRM8GddCCAF5CbFre6dIL/story.html
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,049 Senior Member
    Brilliant rationale....has a right to his opinion.....doesn't make him any less of a horses butt.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,099 Senior Member
    A politician changing his stance in order to appeal to the highest number of LCD (Least Common Denominator) voters. How original.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 349 Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »

Are this guy saying that only the commandos are capable of handling their guns, and the rest of the USA military should be better be issued with bolt action guns?
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I saw this but it was in relation to a different former SEAL calling him out on it.
    Calling him out big time.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,452 Senior Member
    “My opposition to banning free speech and oppressing free people was based on my formerly mistaken opinion that all people are created equal and endowed by said creator with unalienable rights.”
    “Since I now aspire to join the ranks of the ruling class, thus leaving the ranks of the ‘served’ (sic), I am now officially reversing my opinion.” “I can show virtually everybody how to exercise their God-given right to free speech in just a few seconds, but that doesn’t mean that virtually anybody should be allowed to do so, even if they are in the exact same position I was just a matter of a few years ago.”
    “To all you who feel I am wrong in this belief, let me assure you, I am not.” “In fact, if you want to exercise any of the supposed ‘rights’ enumerated in the Constitution, please understand that commoners such as yourselves are not fully capable of understanding all the ins and outs of Constitutional law, so leave it up to the professionals who are actually working within government.” “Oh yeah, to us Wannabes too…almost forgot that part.”

Fixed it for you, Senator (wannabe) Gomez, you jackwagon!

Folks often will speak out against one right, only to fight for another. I used the first because it seems that most folks agree here. They all (pretty much) 'like' the first. When you start talking about infringing the first, virtually all folks will argue (within reason) against it.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,083 Senior Member
    Wotta moron. I've fired innumerable weapons ranging from 9mm to 105mm cannons, and I didn't have to complete SEAL, Force Recon, Ranger, or Special Forces training to do it.
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Ruger 10/22, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Where to start?

First, he uses the word "clips" which is incorrect.

Second, he says "assault weapons" which are auto-fire and very few private citizens can carry or even own, a Class 3 license needed, right?

And why "high capacity" magazines, excuse me, "clips", being any more hard to use than say, a 6 or 10 round mag? Is it because you might poke yourself in the groin with the long magazine?

And to say that only Seals? Ha! Let him speak to other US special forces, top LEO swat teams, and maybe the SAS or Mossad?

But crucial to the statement's flaw is this simple point: At what time has unfamiliarity or lack of expertise been a factor in the use of an "assault" weapon? Thugs and crazies who've used ARs to kill people have managed to do so without much Seal training. Has this guy got any examples where lack of experience has been a factor, for either good or bad? No. It's therefore a straw dog argument.

But it's all foofah, as you can see, a tweaked statement that's completely stupid and full of holes. And obviously tailored for his political ambitions.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Well we used call each other "Gomez's" in Junior High like "You Gomez You".......it was an insult...must be something to it :rotflmao::rotflmao::whip2: :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,407 Senior Member
    Maybe you were referring to John Astin, "Gomez" on the "Addams Family" TV show- - - - -

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4604712925528521&pid=15.1

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Maybe you were referring to John Astin, "Gomez" on the "Addams Family" TV show- - - - -

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4604712925528521&pid=15.1

Jerry

Could very well be 64-66 for the Adam's family and Munster's on another network.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »

Second, he says "assault weapons" which are auto-fire and very few private citizens can carry or even own, a Class 3 license needed, right?

And why "high capacity" magazines, excuse me, "clips", being any more hard to use than say, a 6 or 10 round mag? Is it because you might poke yourself in the groin with the long magazine?

Thugs and crazies who've used ARs to kill people have managed to do so without much Seal training.

I've just highlighted points of your post Sam, nothing inferred here........

If you're experienced military........you know the difference between a clip and a mag.......and no SEAL I've known calls themselves a SEAL or refers to their cohorts as SEALS..........if you hear this spoken, walk away from said glory-hound.

Correct about having a Class III FFL to possess fully automatic or select-fire weapons.........thanks to NFA '34 (could be wrong on year)......we know what is a true Assault Weapon...........they don't.

Successfully employing an automatic weapon system does take some training in learning how to compensate for it's characteristics.........but mag changes or belt changes are pretty easy.

Look back on the 80's when gang warfare was at an all time high with the procurement and distribution of cocaine and crack........Dumb-bunnies in the hood knew how to use AK-47s, Mac-10s and Uzis because they are simple to use and they had thousands of dollars of spending capital and there was a vast black market for weapons supplied by Southeast Pacific nations, and the Israeli/Russian Mafia (Arabs and Persians weren't big enough in that time). During that time.......an AR was almost never used.

It's only recently that semi-auto AR were used in public atrocities by people off their rocker, and they were bought legally or stolen.....but gangsters use cheaper weapons because they were "throw-away" guns.

I've had pretty much the same military training as Gunner 19K.....we're both M1 Tankers, and we've fired and are familiar with various weapons systems from pistols to Carbines/machine guns, to crew served weapons like a main battle tank......hell, I spent a couple years teaching college kids (West Pointers) how to operate and fire an M1 tank in the course of 15 minutes......it ain't that hard just like it ain't that hard to teach an 11 yr on how to shoot a fully automatic AK-47 if he can hold it!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,407 Senior Member
    I'd like to see this Gomer's DD 214. Want to bet the closest he's ever been to being a SEAL was balancing a ball on his nose in a circus sideshow? (And the ball was one of a pair his trainer had as "personal equipment"!)
    :roll:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    I have to thank DOD for having the original version and the redacted version of the DD 214.........it get's hard sometimes to explain a General Discharge Under Honorable Conditions sometimes......if it don't say pure Honorable, people ask questions. Basically I beat the snot out of an officer for almost killing one of my crew, but I had mucho chest lettuce and was in good standing and rank.......so mine says Misconduct when it was a Court Martial offense.....not proud or happy of it, but it is what it is and I have to live with the fact that my trooper is alive and the SOB wears the scars our mistake....but I got booted out of the one thing I loved and wanted to be. So be it. This is why I don't flaunt with the license plate.

BTW........Gander Mountain had a sale on Under Armor....... and got me some shirts and 5.11 boots for work (tactical ninja........I can scale barn stalls now!).......but found polo shirts that contribute to the Wounded Warrior Project.....GM gives 10% to the project.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,606 Senior Member
    I've just highlighted points of your post Sam, nothing inferred here........

If you're experienced military........you know the difference between a clip and a mag.......and no SEAL I've known calls themselves a SEAL or refers to their cohorts as SEALS..........if you hear this spoken, walk away from said glory-hound.

Correct about having a Class III FFL to possess fully automatic or select-fire weapons.........thanks to NFA '34 (could be wrong on year)......we know what is a true Assault Weapon...........they don't.

Successfully employing an automatic weapon system does take some training in learning how to compensate for it's characteristics.........but mag changes or belt changes are pretty easy.

Look back on the 80's when gang warfare was at an all time high with the procurement and distribution of cocaine and crack........Dumb-bunnies in the hood knew how to use AK-47s, Mac-10s and Uzis because they are simple to use and they had thousands of dollars of spending capital and there was a vast black market for weapons supplied by Southeast Pacific nations, and the Israeli/Russian Mafia (Arabs and Persians weren't big enough in that time). During that time.......an AR was almost never used.

It's only recently that semi-auto AR were used in public atrocities by people off their rocker, and they were bought legally or stolen.....but gangsters use cheaper weapons because they were "throw-away" guns.

I've had pretty much the same military training as Gunner 19K.....we're both M1 Tankers, and we've fired and are familiar with various weapons systems from pistols to Carbines/machine guns, to crew served weapons like a main battle tank......hell, I spent a couple years teaching college kids (West Pointers) how to operate and fire an M1 tank in the course of 15 minutes......it ain't that hard just like it ain't that hard to teach an 11 yr on how to shoot a fully automatic AK-47 if he can hold it!
    Genuine SEALS not disclosing much less bragging about it has been my experience. I knew an individual who was a prior service Viet Nam Vet who I assumed was Army because he had joined my Army National Guard unit. I asked what he did prior service? He simply replied "Special Operations Group" (SOG) and never mentioned it again. I learned a couple of years later that he was a SEAL. On another forum the president of Stolen Valor Association stated "472 U.S. Navy SEALs served in Viet Nam. I have met all 5,000 of them".
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,606 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Where to start?

And to say that only Seals? Ha! Let him speak to other US special forces, top LEO swat teams, and maybe the SAS or Mossad?

But crucial to the statement's flaw is this simple point: At what time has unfamiliarity or lack of expertise been a factor in the use of an "assault" weapon? Thugs and crazies who've used ARs to kill people have managed to do so without much Seal training. Has this guy got any examples where lack of experience has been a factor, for either good or bad? No. It's therefore a straw dog argument.

But it's all foofah, as you can see, a tweaked statement that's completely stupid and full of holes. And obviously tailored for his political ambitions
    From what I see he said magazine/clips. To me that means he knows the correct term but is trying to align himself with the mainstream media term. Typical politician puke!