Home Main Category Clubhouse

US police obtaining military vehicles to aid hunt for criminals

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
I hope they get some good drivers training from the Army on these things. Serious road hogs because the drivers tend to ride in the middle of the road, at least, on the earlier versions I saw in Afghanistan. Now they are much smaller (some versions SUV size).

Three reasons I can think of, they didn't want to rollover into a ditch (crappy narrow roads/trails over there) or drive over an IED and maybe the visual perception of the driver.

I saw the Polish Army getting some drivers training one day on MRAPS and trust me I gave them plenty of leeway (pulled off the road), when you are in a Gator or little pickup truck a collision would be a Lose/Lose situation for you!

They have saved countless soldiers lives and that's a good thing. No cost to the PDs/taxpayers except transportation from Fort Hood.

We can debate whether any PD actually needs them or not, but these days who knows what they will face. They say for executing warrants ...WOW, must be some bad desperadoes they are going after.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/30/us-police-obtaining-military-vehicles-to-aid-hunt-for-criminals/

"Don’t mess with Texas has assumed a whole new meaning in Dallas.

The Dallas County Sheriff’s Office traveled to Fort Hood this month to acquire its own bona fide military vehicle – the International MaxxPro MRAP tactical vehicle -- courtesy of a Department of Defense surplus program.

According to The Dallas Observer, the sheriff’s office obtained the 19-ton, diesel-operated behemoth with bullet-proof doors and tires, designed by Navistar Defense.

“The MaxxPro MRAP is built to withstand ballistic arms fire, mine blasts, IEDs, and other emerging threats,” according to the Navistar website. “Its V-shaped hull helps deflect blasts out and away from the crew and its armoring can be customized to meet any mission requirement.”

The specific vehicle obtained by the Dallas sheriff’s office was never used overseas and claims only about 10,000 miles of use, but other similar vehicles were reportedly employed by the military in war zones, and specifically to withstand roadside IEDs, or improvised explosive devices.

The Observer writes the sheriff’s office will now use it to serve warrants on wanted men.

“Having a tactical vehicle will not only provide warrants execution with the equipment to assist in performing their jobs, but will provide an overall safety arch," Chief Deputy Marlin Suell reportedly wrote to county commissioners in informing them of the acquisition.

The vehicle costs about $600,000, but the county obtained it solely for the cost of transporting it from Fort Hood.

The Observer also reports that Dallas County is not alone in taking advantage of the MRAP surplus program.

The Murfreesboro Post in Murfreesboro, Tenn., reports the city police department acquired its own MRAP in August, prompting City Councilman Toby Gilley to reassure concerned citizens at a council meeting that it will be used to confront, “threats from armed gunmen.”

And don’t look now, but Ohio State University also counts an MRAP among its service fleet.

The college reportedly obtained one of the armored vehicles through the same means as Murfreesboro and Dallas County in mid-September.

Said Campus Police Chief Paul Denton at the time, “We pride ourselves on being self-sufficient from local authorities. Frankly, we have to be. We are the primary responder."

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2013/09/dallas_county_now_has_its_very.php?page=all

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/30/us-police-obtaining-military-vehicles-to-aid-hunt-for-criminals/
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Just wait until they get the service manual on that beastie! They gonna have to fire a few officers, or start writing mega doses of traffic citations to pay for the specialized tools and upkeep on that thing! :rotflmao:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    No kidding, the maintenence cost are very expensive.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Like cpj says, it was after all free. I'm pretty sure it's mostly an ego thing. I've heard of warrant servings being fired upon but that's usually handguns and only very rarely the vehicle, mostly the LEOs themselves while entering the building.

I mean, you drive up to the perp's house in an Abrams tank and you'd still have to get out to serve the warrant.

But you know how any top-heavy business works, its upper management more concerned with style than with substance. And large police forces are just the same. "I gotta have one!" was probably the deepest thought in the HQ that day.

Oh, well, the rank and file officers will have fun driving it around. No biggie.
    cpj wrote: »
    But, but, but, they were FREE!

:spittingcoffee::rotflmao: Free! Reminds me of a neighbor of mine in another place and time that jumped on the chance for a "FREE" horse! I had a great many laughing fits over his blasphemous outbursts about the cost of the "free horse"! :cuss::fan::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,090 Senior Member
    Yup, because Dallas' streets are simply inundated with IED's...
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA, Pietta 1860 .44 snubnose
    GunnerK19 wrote: »
    Yup, because Dallas' streets are simply inundated with IED's...

But.........but...............this brings the concept of the 'No Knock Warrant' to an entirely new level!
    ― Douglas Adams
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,692 Senior Member
    Who needs to knock when you can just push?

l.jpg
    Overkill is underrated.
    Who needs to knock when you can just push?

l.jpg

That thing would be OUTSTANDING for the new 'drive through' warrant service! :rotflmao:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,692 Senior Member
    Don't you see? That's a "Rescue" vehicle. It can't be used to serve warrants.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,189 Senior Member
    It think it is a cool toy just as much as the next guy, but logic tells me that it is absurd for a police vehicle and the maintenance costs are going to hurt. Not the smartest way to run a law enforcement agency that uses precious tax dollars.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Don't you see? That's a "Rescue" vehicle. It can't be used to serve warrants.

They'll "rescue" them after they serve the drive through warrant and the house collapses on the people being "served". See, EZPZ, and they can justify the cost of the behemoth!
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Two words- - - - - - -

MOLOTOV

COCKTAIL

Jerry
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    At 38,000 lbs GVW.......are they gonna have to qualify for CDL training and licensing too? What about weight limits in residential areas that limit Semis? Do they have Motor Pool staff that can maintain such vehicles?
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Teach wrote: »
    Two words- - - - - - -

MOLOTOV

COCKTAIL

Jerry

Four words........

Mexican Cartel and Antitank Weapons.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,626 Senior Member
    At 38,000 lbs GVW.......are they gonna have to qualify for CDL training and licensing too? What about weight limits in residential areas that limit Semis? Do they have Motor Pool staff that can maintain such vehicles?

Yes, won't matter because they enforce the rules not follow them, and no, they don't. That's okay though, because all they have to do is point out that they need all that stuff and staff at the next budget meeting. Problem solved.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    Thanks CGG, I feel safer now staying out of Dallas...........:tooth: Meh, it's an Army vehicle, just look at the oil stick and lube it......shouldn't be that hard, the manual has pictures.........
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,626 Senior Member
    Thanks CGG, I feel safer now staying out of Dallas...........:tooth: Meh, it's an Army vehicle, just look at the oil stick and lube it......shouldn't be that hard, the manual has pictures.........

You're probably right....still doesn't make it a good idea though. We use our military like a police force and our police think they're the military. Downright confusing....
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    Not really......see where everyone is pointing at and shoot there.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,760 Senior Member
    Nothing unusual about a SWAT team being equipped with an armored vehicle, and there are plenty of valid reasons. In the case of North American continental policing I doubt it matters a great deal WHICH armored vehicle is used - it's not like LAPD needs something that will stop main gun rounds from a T-72, and I doubt Dallas County has a specific need for resisting antitank mines.

I suspect that Dallas County decided they had a requirement for an armored vehicle, and there happened to be an MRAP up for grabs cheap. There's probably half a dozen vehicle types that would have served their needs, but the used car you can afford is better than the new one you can't.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Which is why the feds are giving them away. Nothing new with govt surplussing equipment at the end of a war to police organizations. Only people they can sell to are PDs, other govt orgs or allies.

That wasn't always so. After WWII, Korea, and VN, lots of those heavy de-mil vehicles were sold to the public, including tanks sans turrets. It has only been in the last maybe 3 decades that those vehicles were forbidden to be sold to the public. I remember when I was still a little cookie muncher going to military surplus sale yards and seeing row on row of jeeps, 2 1/2 ton trucks, and all manner of heavy vehicles for sale. If you had the cash, you could buy it and drive it out. And a couple of those places sold mil surp rifles, one or a truckload, cash and carry, and NO FORM 4473!
    ― Douglas Adams
    Agreed, but us civilians can't be trusted with such things these days :banghead::mad:

I miss MY good old days!
    ― Douglas Adams
    What was that line in Die Hard? "Look here, the LAPD have got themselves an RV!"