Home Main Category Hunting

Black Powder Bullet Question

HondoHondo MemberPosts: 320 Member
Black Powder season is fast approaching. I just wanted to find out what kind of projectile(brand etc.) you guys use and why? I shoot a T/C Pro Hunter .50 cal. Last year I used sabots in .44 with Hornady XTP's at 240 gr with 100 grains of triple 7. Ended up with an 8 point buck. I am going to try some Dead Center sabots recommended to me with 105 gr triple 7.

Replies

  • FoxGary270FoxGary270 New Member Posts: 5 New Member
    The sabots w 44 XTP from Hornaday will not shoot in my 50 cal TC Renegade. They just hit the ground and everywhere. The same for light weight bullets. The 44 go thru sideways or bounce before hitting the target. 1 in three shoots niys the center.

    I shoot the Hornaday great plains bullets in large weights. For deer season I use the Hornaday High Pressure sabots with the heavy XTP 45 cal pistol bullets. With these sabots I shoot a two inch group at 100 yards. Often two shots touch.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    FoxGary270 wrote: »
    The sabots w 44 XTP from Hornaday will not shoot in my 50 cal TC Renegade. They just hit the ground and everywhere. The same for light weight bullets. The 44 go thru sideways or bounce before hitting the target. 1 in three shoots niys the center.

    I shoot the Hornaday great plains bullets in large weights. For deer season I use the Hornaday High Pressure sabots with the heavy XTP 45 cal pistol bullets. With these sabots I shoot a two inch group at 100 yards. Often two shots touch.

    I'm pretty sure that Renegade has a 1 in 48 twist instead of the 1 in 28 twist of the in-line models.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I shoot a real muzzleloader, so I can't be of much help with that almost-a-centerfire. Check the twist rate by pushing a tight-fiting patch on a jag down the barrel and measure how far it takes to get one turn of the rifling. The faster the twist, the heavier bullet you can shoot. Real ML's use patched round balls, black powder, and flint ignition.
    Jerry
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Hondo wrote: »
    Black Powder season is fast approaching. I just wanted to find out what kind of projectile(brand etc.) you guys use and why? I shoot a T/C Pro Hunter .50 cal. Last year I used sabots in .44 with Hornady XTP's at 240 gr with 100 grains of triple 7. Ended up with an 8 point buck. I am going to try some Dead Center sabots recommended to me with 105 gr triple 7.

    Why fix what is not broke? Sounds like your load for last year was quit sufficient indeed.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    Hondo...no need to mess with a winning combination...treat the thing like sore man parts and don't mess with it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Medicine HatMedicine Hat Member Posts: 106 Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I shoot a real muzzleloader, so I can't be of much help with that almost-a-centerfire. Check the twist rate by pushing a tight-fiting patch on a jag down the barrel and measure how far it takes to get one turn of the rifling. The faster the twist, the heavier bullet you can shoot. Real ML's use patched round balls, black powder, and flint ignition.
    Jerry

    Correct again as usual. Mine happens to be a .54 with 1:60 twist.
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    I appreciate the input guys.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,068 Senior Member
    I use Nosler sabots, a 300gr .429" Rainier plated HP and 75gr of 777.
    Haven't shot a deer with them yet, so I can't comment on their performance on game.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,396 Senior Member
    barngun1.jpg
    70gr 2F, .530 Hornady roundball, .015 patches
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Hummmm..... I've got about a dozen. My .32cal squirrel rifle has 1:48 twist, but everything else that's rifled has a 1:68ish to a 1:72, and PRB's is all that I shoot.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement