.22 for / BOB

jigbonejigbone MemberPosts: 182 Member
So here lately I've been giving a lot more thought to what's in my bug out bag - specifically firearms. There will definitely be a Glock 17 and a few spare mags for threats of the human variety. And while I'd love to say I'll be toting my AR with 20 loaded pmags, in a /bug-out situation, that just ain't feasible.

In a lot of ways, a good .22 pistol makes a lot of sense. It could be lightweight, perfect for hunting the type of small game that you'd be after if you're on the run.

I've been looking at two models specifically, and was wondering if anyone here had experience with them and could offer advice one way or another. First is the Ruger 22/45 and the second is the Beretta U22 Neos.

Ruger 22/45:
Pros - proven design, been around a long time, models available with rails and threaded barrels for suppressor use
Cons - pricier of the two, assembly and disassembly in the field could be tricky

Beretta U22 Neos:
Pros - Modular design, easily customizable, integrated rail, less expensive, easy field stripping
Cons - No threaded barrel, unproven design, safety is currently under recall

What say you?
ATF should not be a government agency, it should be a discount store.
:usa:

Replies

  • jigbonejigbone Member Posts: 182 Member
    Wow, I guess certain acronyms are censored. So I guess the title of this thread should be:

    .22 for :fan: / BOB
    ATF should not be a government agency, it should be a discount store.
    :usa:
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,741 Senior Member
    In a lot of ways, a good .22 pistol makes a lot of sense.

    A .22 revolver could make even more sense....shoot shorts, long, long rifle, high or low velocity....no ammunition sensitivity
  • jigbonejigbone Member Posts: 182 Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    In a lot of ways, a good .22 pistol makes a lot of sense.

    A .22 revolver could make even more sense....shoot shorts, long, long rifle, high or low velocity....no ammunition sensitivity

    That is a big advantage, and something to keep in mind. Would want the ability to mount optics like a no-magnification red dot without extra gunsmithing. Would just make hitting a target much easier at a time when you're likely to be stressed / not at your best with iron sights.
    ATF should not be a government agency, it should be a discount store.
    :usa:
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,528 Senior Member
    If you want to mount an optic the Browning Buckmark Hunter would be a good choice.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    In a pinch, there are few things handier than a .22 pistol. Relatively quiet, cheap to feed under normal circumstances and you can carry a lot of ammo in a small space. Certainly not my only or primary firearm, but another tool in my toolbox....

    Of the two you listed, I would go with the Ruger BUT the better choice IMHO would be a Browning Buckmark Camper model. Neither would I discount a 6" S&W K22

    This being said, it's not going to be my only firearm...A lightweight AR carbine and a major caliber handgun will definitely be a part of my kit.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,789 Senior Member
    Browning Buckmark, hands down. I have the Ruger 22/45 and it isn't something I'd want to have to take down for cleaning in the field. The Browning is easy, and, for me at least, is the more accurate of the two. A 10-22 rifle with an abbreviated forend stock(break it down for transport), and a lightweight AR would round out the firearms. Two bricks of high velocity .22 and 20 AR mags would round out the firearms.

    FWIW, I live way out in the country, so I'm not bugging out unless the nuke plant 8 miles west melts into a radioactive puddle. I'll just dig in like a tick on a dog's back and take care of bidness right where I sit.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.


  • jigbonejigbone Member Posts: 182 Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Browning Buckmark, hands down. I have the Ruger 22/45 and it isn't something I'd want to have to take down for cleaning in the field. The Browning is easy, and, for me at least, is the more accurate of the two. A 10-22 rifle with an abbreviated forend stock(break it down for transport), and a lightweight AR would round out the firearms. Two bricks of high velocity .22 and 20 AR mags would round out the firearms.

    FWIW, I live way out in the country, so I'm not bugging out unless the nuke plant 8 miles west melts into a radioactive puddle. I'll just dig in like a tick on a dog's back and take care of bidness right where I sit.

    I'll assume you're in Tennessee, and I'll also assume you're talking about Soddy-Daisy. I'm in Hixson, close enough that if that sucker melts down, I'll be fishtailing outta the driveway with just my BOB. That's why, regardless of how light an AR is, it wont fit in a backpack, and will weigh me down if I'm unlucky enough to be on foot at any point. I have a Glock 17 that I will also have because I like it's relative light weight, capacity, and reliability. The .22 would ONLY be for hunting small game, nothing else.

    I hadn't thought of the Browning Buckmark, but it looks like it might fit the bill as well.
    ATF should not be a government agency, it should be a discount store.
    :usa:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    If I chose to go with a revolver, it would be my Model 63 S&W or Hi-Standard Double 9. If automatic, it would be my 100% reliable CZ-75 Kadet .22, because I can turn it into an equally reliable and very accurate 9mm, in about 15 seconds. The Kadet eats bulk-pack ammo and has squirrel-killing accuracy at 25 yards.

    But, I likely won't be bugging out, either.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I second the Buckmark. But

    We ain't going anywhere either.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,789 Senior Member
    jigbone wrote: »
    I'll assume you're in Tennessee, and I'll also assume you're talking about Soddy-Daisy. I'm in Hixson, close enough that if that sucker melts down, I'll be fishtailing outta the driveway with just my BOB. That's why, regardless of how light an AR is, it wont fit in a backpack, and will weigh me down if I'm unlucky enough to be on foot at any point. I have a Glock 17 that I will also have because I like it's relative light weight, capacity, and reliability. The .22 would ONLY be for hunting small game, nothing else.

    I hadn't thought of the Browning Buckmark, but it looks like it might fit the bill as well.

    Right state, wrong location. I'm half way between Chattanooga and Knotheadville. Watts Bar is the closest to me at 8 miles. And whether I bug out or not would depend on the wind direction. The normal airflow is mostly contained by the ridges along the river, and it usually follows the river upstream.

    About the two nuke plants; both are ice condenser plants. A blowout of a reactor coolant line would be directed into the ice condensers, and that would melt the ice, condense the steam, and, along with several other passive systems, flood the reactor containment with heavily borated water. A radioactive release of water, gas, or radioactive material is HIGHLY unlikely. There's enough ice and water to fill what is called 'lower reactor containment' well above the top of the reactor vessel. And there are redundant systems in place, both active and passive, to cool all that boron laden water. No worries.

    Edit to add: The Buckmark is a really nice pistol for the money. I don't think you'd be disappointed in owning one.

    PWR plants(Pressurized Water Reactors) don't make me in the least bit skittish. BWR plants(Boiling Water Reactors) scare the bejeezus out of me. Japan is a good example of what can happen in a BWR plant. ANY leak in the turbine building is a LOCA(Loss Of Coolant Accident) and is just filthy nasty with radioactivity.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.


  • jigbonejigbone Member Posts: 182 Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Right state, wrong location. I'm half way between Chattanooga and Knotheadville. Watts Bar is the closest to me at 8 miles. And whether I bug out or not would depend on the wind direction. The normal airflow is mostly contained by the ridges along the river, and it usually follows the river upstream.

    About the two nuke plants; both are ice condenser plants. A blowout of a reactor coolant line would be directed into the ice condensers, and that would melt the ice, condense the steam, and, along with several other passive systems, flood the reactor containment with heavily borated water. A radioactive release of water, gas, or radioactive material is HIGHLY unlikely. There's enough ice and water to fill what is called 'lower reactor containment' well above the top of the reactor vessel. And there are redundant systems in place, both active and passive, to cool all that boron laden water. No worries.

    Edit to add: The Buckmark is a really nice pistol for the money. I don't think you'd be disappointed in owning one.

    PWR plants(Pressurized Water Reactors) don't make me in the least bit skittish. BWR plants(Boiling Water Reactors) scare the bejeezus out of me. Japan is a good example of what can happen in a BWR plant. ANY leak in the turbine building is a LOCA(Loss Of Coolant Accident) and is just filthy nasty with radioactivity.

    OK, so maybe I shouldn't be afraid of the Soddy plant blowing up. So now I guess I'll just have to say I want a cool .22 pistol for plinking :guns:
    ATF should not be a government agency, it should be a discount store.
    :usa:
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,825 Senior Member
    How about that 2 piece 10 22 Ruger introduced recently? Rifle would be much more useful.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,789 Senior Member
    jigbone wrote: »
    OK, so maybe I shouldn't be afraid of the Soddy plant blowing up. So now I guess I'll just have to say I want a cool .22 pistol for plinking :guns:

    I'd be more worried about the crime rate in the C'nooga area than that plant. More danger from an accidental release from one of the many chemical plants there, IMO.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.


  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,261 Senior Member
    I'm curious if anyone thinks the Henry survival rifle is a viable option? It may be junk for all I know but seems to be the most portable of the rifle options. It probably does not compare in accuracy to a 10 22 takedown but it will fit in a more compact space (backpack).
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    It's Henry's version of the AR-7 and has been around for a loooonnnngggg time.
    Upsides, Relatively compact , floats
    Downsides: Not particularly accurate, still kinda bulky in its stowed form, prone to malfunctions (mine had a lot of FTFs and had a tendency to run FA with CCI MiniMags)

    Actually, for a rifle that you can toss in the back of the truck and forget about til you need it, the Springfield M6 Survival Rifle has a lot going for it .22/.410 O/U... while you most often find them in .22 LR mine was in .22 Hornet...worth taking a look at...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    If you are set on a long gun, you are adding a lot of weight, so why not get the benefit of using the same ammo and mags? A g19 and a Kel Tec sub 2000 make a good combo.

    IMHO

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,651 Senior Member
    Ruger 22/45 handsdown.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Rim PhyrRim Phyr Member Posts: 71 Member
    Take a peak at the S&W model 41 pistol it looks, feels and shoots like a dream. For a long arm check out the Marlin model 60 it is known to be more accurate than the 10/22 and it holds 14 +1 on .22lr.
  • jigbonejigbone Member Posts: 182 Member
    Rifles definitely would be more accurate, but one of the criteria is that it has to fit into a small bug-out bag.
    ATF should not be a government agency, it should be a discount store.
    :usa:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,789 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    I'm curious if anyone thinks the Henry survival rifle is a viable option? It may be junk for all I know but seems to be the most portable of the rifle options. It probably does not compare in accuracy to a 10 22 takedown but it will fit in a more compact space (backpack).

    I have an AR-7 I bought around '84-'85. installed sights were major problem, and the barrel and barrel nut were a major source of the inaccuracy of the thing, even after mounting a decent scope on it. Barrel and barrel nut are aluminum, and the barrel has a rifled steel barrel sleeve in it. Never failed to fire anything I loaded in it, but never put them where I aimed consistently. Fast forward to a new all steel barrel and barrel nut, and things got mo' betta'. And the new furniture makes it look better, too. It hits where I aim now.

    100_0338.jpg
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.


  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    I like the thought of this in .40 S&W that uses Glock mags....

    Kel-Tec-Sub2K-40G-1.jpg

    that turns into this:

    sub2000_8900.jpg

    And you can get a Glock mag that holds 30 rounds for it.

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • jigbonejigbone Member Posts: 182 Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I like the thought of this in .40 S&W that uses Glock mags....

    Kel-Tec-Sub2K-40G-1.jpg

    that turns into this:

    sub2000_8900.jpg

    And you can get a Glock mag that holds 30 rounds for it.

    D

    That's pretty cool. Although I think hunting squirrels with .40 might be a little overkill :p that's kind of along the same lines as the carbine kits they make for lots of different handguns.
    ATF should not be a government agency, it should be a discount store.
    :usa:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,789 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Meh. Spooky reliability, and not so good accuracy. Neat idea though. Wish they were mo- bettah.

    You have a lathe; you can make it mo-betta!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.


  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    How about a Ruger Bearcat ? It is light weight, portable, stowable and accurate..........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.